Line Combos: Leafs Practice Lines Today

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I guess it depends on the standards you have, but I think it wouldn't be all that easy to replace a Bozak... Top six centerman aren't that easy to come by.
True. That's an issue for next year, but I don't think we need to look for another Bozak necessarily. We'll have skill on the wings, so if we can get a more traditional third center who can help the two-way game and the transition, our wingers can drive offense on that line.

To solve the issue mid-season, we would need to get much more creative though.

he can focus more on creativity and learning how to shoot.
He's not going to learn how to shoot by playing on a different line. That would more likely be the result of a summer devoted to that, with thousands of repetitions.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
This may sound as if I'm having a dig but as most of you mp know I'm new to the game so it's genuine - what's Martin good at?

From what I've seen he doesn't have much skill but can 'put himself about' and get physical?

Is that all he's there for, due to us being a young team?
Martin actually scored in nyi

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Love how the two laziest guys on the team stay right where they are but marner gets demoted.

Marner hasn’t been good by his standard to be sure, but that wasn’t the answer for making changes to that line.

right. Like demote Marner but keep the defensive blackholes (bozak/JVR) together and hope for the best?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
right. Like demote Marner but keep the defensive blackholes (bozak/JVR) together and hope for the best?

They added a defensively responsible player though. Mitch isn't bad but he let's off some real stinker passes quite often

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
If I were Babcock, in order to send a message to this line, I would demote them to PP#2 and promote Auston and Willie to PP#1.

PP is the bread a butter for players to pile up points. So sending the message Bozak's line needs to be better at ES 5v5 or your PP time will decrease until you effort increases.

With JVR and Bozak in contract years this will motivate them to increase their effort. Marner is simply struggling this year so he needs a wake up call as well, so these practice lines send that message.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
They added a defensively responsible player though. Mitch isn't bad but he let's off some real stinker passes quite often

Are you suggesting that Brown will stablise the defense on that line? I remember last season when Brown was put in on that line all the zone entries started coming through the center ice (bozo) and right side (JVR wing); Brown wasn't able to do much about the zone exits.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Jonas Siegel @jonassiegel
49s
Mike Babcock today on Marner shuffling: "Let’s not read too much into this. Their line wasn’t going so tie goes to the veteran. Hows that?"

And that's really all there is to it.

The most positive thing I take out of this is that Babcock while he may be stubborn, is capable of trying new line combos if things aren't going the way he'd like. No biggie, I doubt this lasts long and it's as much of a message to Bozak/JVR as it is to Marner.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
This is babcock. A guy that overplayed garbage like cleary and abelkader. He loves his useless grinders.

YYZed

Jan 8, 2012
So, JVR and Bozak got demoted and Martin and Moore are now on the second line, right?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Are you suggesting that Brown will stablise the defense on that line? I remember last season when Brown was put in on that line all the zone entries started coming through the center ice (bozo) and right side (JVR wing); Brown wasn't able to do much about the zone exits.

No because Bozak is the problem, do I have to say this 20 times a month for even more years? Bozak is a checkers player playing chess. If you think about it, it makes sense. He makes the obvious attack plays well.

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
He's not going to learn how to shoot by playing on a different line. That would more likely be the result of a summer devoted to that, with thousands of repetitions.

I think Marner will shoot more, just as a result of him being the best offensive option on that line. Whereas on Bozak's line, Marner have a pass first mentality, on a line with Martin and Moore/Fehr, I think he'll be more selfish.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
I've said this a bunch of times but it's very true.

He NEEDS Komarov as his mentor teaching him just like Komarov did with Kadri and still does.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
JVR - Matthews - Marner
Marleau - Kadri - Brown
Hyman - Bozak - Nylander
Leivo - Moore - Komarov

We get a fourth line that can play and take on additional match ups. The third line has Nylander for transition, Hyman for grindwork, Bozak as complementary skill. Kadri line can still have its own role. Matthews should be able to help alleviate JVR's zone exit issues, and who knows? Maybe Marner works on that line.

That could be a solution with the material we have right now.

This is babcock. A guy that overplayed garbage like cleary and abelkader. He loves his useless grinders.
Did you just call Brown a useless grinder?

I think Marner will shoot more, just as a result of him being the best offensive option on that line. Whereas on Bozak's line, Marner have a pass first mentality, on a line with Martin and Moore/Fehr, I think he'll be more selfish.
He's been shooting plenty so far, to the point of it being a problem. Situations where he used to get creative, he fires low-percentage shots.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
JVR - Matthews - Marner
Marleau - Kadri - Brown
Hyman - Bozak - Nylander
Leivo - Moore - Komarov

We get a fourth line that can play and take on additional match ups. The third line has Nylander for transition, Hyman for grindwork, Bozak as complementary skill. Kadri line can still have its own role. Matthews should be able to help alleviate JVR's zone exit issues, and who knows? Maybe Marner works on that line.

That could be a solution with the material we have right now.

Did you just call Brown a useless grinder?
No said nothing about brown. I said i watched him in detroit and fans was upset how he loved guys like cleary a little too much.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
No because Bozak is the problem, do I have to say this 20 times a month for even more years? Bozak is a checkers player playing chess. If you think about it, it makes sense. He makes the obvious attack plays well.

the line will always be as good as your center. Bozak cannot play 2-way; now what for about 8 seasons in NHL and he is "still learning"; if the center can't play defense and is caught out of position more often than not and then youhave a LW who coasts in the D-zone and then blows the d-zone for ofense leaving D-men no outlet and hang out your goalie to dry

how is this Marner's fault?

People blamed Kessel before and gave bozak+jvr free pass now its Marner?

I am so sick of the free pass those two get

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
What line can you put JVR on? I'm genuinely curious because I've seen people say it would ruin both Matthews and Kadri.

Actually trade Bozak like yesterday and get someone better there; hell even Moore would be better than Bozak, that line will have less offense but it will be a net positive impact on the team

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad