Line Combos: Leafs Practice Lines Today

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
This isnt some longterm thing.
Marner most likely just spend 2-3 games on the 4th line and hopefully gets the message because thats exactly whats being sent right now by this.
What's the message?

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
It's funny how Babcock and company say that they are going to keep everyone accountable. But the only change so far this season is to move 4th line centres in and out and then demote Marner.

Maybe enforce what you say originally and stop handing out power play time to Bozak & JVR for their shoddy defense. And maybe actually hold them accountable for their play. Watch the driveby from Bozak on Drouin's goal saturday.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
lol Marner's problem isn't hustle, he give 110% every shift. The problem is it's unnecessary hustle. He just looks lost sometimes and then tries really hard to get back into position.
That and he's a kid who thinks he has to make something happen every play/every shift. Sometimes it isn't there on a shift and you make due (playing even) until the next one.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
This BS, in my opinion. Sure, demote Marner but let Bozak and JvR play together. Absolute crap. And Komarov gets to keep his spot.

The Leafs are almost competing while trying to keep the value up of some players that could very well be moved.

Mitch is here for the longterm. They're hoping this move will light a fire under him to do whatever their asking at a higher standard.

You demote Bozak or JVR and it puts a nice dent into their trade value.

Reactions: Sonny21

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
It's funny how Babcock and company say that they are going to keep everyone accountable. But the only change so far this season is to move 4th line centres in and out and then demote Marner.

Maybe enforce what you say originally and stop handing out power play time to Bozak & JVR for their shoddy defense. And maybe actually hold them accountable for their play. Watch the driveby from Bozak on Drouin's goal saturday.

Glad I wasn't the only one who noticed that driveby - pathetic attempt by Bozak which freed up Alzner for that point shot on the Drouin redirection.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
The Leafs are almost competing while trying to keep the value up of some players that could very well be moved.

Mitch is here for the longterm. They're hoping this move will light a fire under him to do whatever their asking at a higher standard.

You demote Bozak or JVR and it puts a nice dent into their trade value. I'm pretty sure Bozak and JVR will get the message sent here also. This isnt just saying Marner hasnt been its also almost a shot at the entire line

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
You guys seriously blame Marner because of that lines production? Watch the game, he's always fighting for pucks and try make up the defensive mistakes of JvR and Bozak, who are always doing basically nothing in ther own zone. Yes he struggles too, but he is in his 2nd year and at least he is TRYING ffs, not like JvR. God I was only disliked him but now I'm actually starting to hate that lazy guy. I dont care he puts up points, he just doesnt care. Babs always talking about compete, well, JvR does nothing while Mitch is trying at least. Bozak is just Bozak, he wont be any better.

RomanianLeafs

Apr 14, 2009
Arad
i love this management but when are Bozak and Komarov demoted? they are uselles pluges for the second season in the row yet they never get the same treatment as the young kids..at least JVR scores..

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012

Why would a coach not give them power play time, they're the most productive players on the power play.

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
JVR - Bozak - Brown
Komarov - Kadri - Martin
Marleau - Moore - Marner

idk , just spitballing here

weems

Jul 3, 2008
What's the message?

Pretty clear its that they think Marner can give them more.
Of what this is who really knows but why else would they be doing this? Ya Marner on the 4th line makes sense, will balance out our lines and give Moore some help?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Marner's wake up call is well deserved - however I doubt it lasts even one game.

I get that people are drawn to his frantic playing style but lately he's really been "over pursuing" the puck which in turn leads to positioning errors and defensive lapses. He's just got to smarten up a bit.

With that said folks need to ease up on the kid, he's barely 20, and even with his poor play is still putting up points. He'll be fine

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
JVR and Bozak are what they are, but Mitch can be so, so much better than he's been so far this year

one77

Dec 22, 2013
Yeah I think it's a fair demotion, but what is NOT fair is the fact that Bozak and JVR continue to get treated like royalty although they are by far the worst 2-way players on the team.

But JVR scores goals here and there so I guess he gets a free pass... facepalm. Demote those 2 next time. Or put Komarov/Brown on that line at the very least.

iBlaze81

Jan 18, 2010
I don't think we should look into this too much. We are playing the Caps on home ice, meaning they will have last change. JVR/Bozie/MM haven't been great defensively and putting Brown there is gonna help. It's the exact situation last year during the first half of the season when MB put Brown on AM line and had Willi on Kadri's line on road games. Everyone relax.

Reactions: canadon

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Brown is better defensively than Marner, and has played much better this year than Marner, so this move sends a message to Mitch to play better as he is a team worst -6 +/-.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Below is what I said on the "who drops to the 4th line now that we have Marleau" thread. Sticking with it today and hoping Babs tries it out once Marner is released from his doghouse:

Hyman might be the obvious answer but I think Babs will leave that line alone, in which case Uncle Leo would be my choice. Playing Marleau with Kadri limits Marleau's minutes and gives Kadri a shooter to play with.

Hyman Matthews Nylander
Marleau Kadri Marner
JVR Bozak Brown
Martin Moore Komorov

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Pretty clear its that they think Marner can give them more.
Of what this is who really knows but why else would they be doing this? Ya Marner on the 4th line makes sense, will balance out our lines and give Moore some help?
It seems his problem so far is he's trying to do too much to cover for his linemates, to succeed he needs to play with better players. Perhaps they just want to get him to slow down a bit, play some easy minutes .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad