Line Combos: Leafs Practice Lines Today

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
i love this management but when are Bozak and Komarov demoted? they are uselles pluges for the second season in the row yet they never get the same treatment as the young kids..at least JVR scores..

Yeah Bozak putting up 55 points is useless

C'mon man

Also, the young kids get treated differently because Babcock realizes they're special and it's for their benefit moving forward. Bozak, JVR, Komarov might not even be Leafs a couple months from now so why hurt their trade value

Reactions: Eb

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
You know who else was on the 'fourth' line last season?

Nylander.

Just take it easy with the hot takes.

The real tragedy is Matt Martin still taking a regular shift in this lineup.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
the reality is that we have so much skill that babs can punish guys who aren't playing up to their own standards.

and right now, the one guy who isn't playing up to his own standard is Mitch.

as for JVR and Bozak - they are what they are. they're playing as well as they play. that's not gonna change.

Reactions: weems

weems

Jul 3, 2008
It seems his problem so far is he's trying to do too much to cover for his linemates, to succeed he needs to play with better players. Perhaps they just want to get him to slow down a bit, play some easy minutes .

I dont think you demote a young homegrown star like this if there isnt something hes not giving you thats being asked. This is also a trend, they did it with Kadri, they did it with Nylander and now the message is being thrown at Marner. They obviously think that Marner can give them alot more and its a bit of a wakeup call.

At least thats how I see it.

Reactions: canadon

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Selfish showboat? What the hell are you even talking about? Jesust christ did he do something personal to you or what?

When you have to... Do a spinarama behind the back pass towards the crease and nobody is there... You are a selfish showboat. When you have to pass the puck to the boards and turn it over rather than get it in deep... If you have to just do spin a rama passes at random... And if you have to take a slapshot towards a man in front rather than a crisp pass, you guessed it... You a selfish showboat.

Just play the freaking game right and stop pissing everyone that sees that crap off.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I dont think you demote a young homegrown star like this if there isnt something hes not giving you thats being asked. This is also a trend, they did it with Kadri, they did it with Nylander and now the message is being thrown at Marner. They obviously think that Marner can give them alot more and its a bit of a wakeup call.

At least thats how I see it.
Yeah, the Kadri situation seems similar, a player trying too hard and making too many mistakes as a result.

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
as for JVR and Bozak - they are what they are. they're playing as well as they play. that's not gonna change.

JvR could actually be one of the best wingers in the game today, if he'd only care a bit. He's got all the talent + size + speed. He's just lazy and doesn't give a ****. That's it. Sad story.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Yeah, the Kadri situation seems similar, a player trying too hard and making too many mistakes as a result.

The last few games he's made a few high danger passes, I wouldn't mind seeing a little more simplicity for the next game.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
At this point Brown is better defensively and better offensively than Koma. Koma is the perfect shift disturber for the 4th line.
Agreed. I think the Marleau-Kadri combo is being wasted by having Komarov there. Brown would do the same job defensively (if not better) but also provide much more offense to that line.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
JvR could actually be one of the best wingers in the game today, if he'd only care a bit. He's got all the talent + size + speed. He's just lazy and doesn't give a ****. That's it. Sad story.

eh, some players just aren't good defensively. defense is a skill too, not just hard work.

jvr has been the best player on that line this year by a good margin.

Reactions: thewave

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Lot of over-reaction and exaggerated opinions about the players involved. Mitch will be fine. A stint on the 4th line is not the end of the universe. Likely, only happens for a few shifts.

weems

Jul 3, 2008

Ya that "lets give Mitch some easier minutes on the 4th" sounds like a better argument.

I dont see whats so hard about seeing whats being done here? Noone is saying Mitch is bad or anything. They just feel he can play ALOT better and can give them more.

Mitch is trying too hard? I think you'll get alot of differing opinions on that from posters on here.

Coatsy79

May 14, 2011
Uk
Below is what I said on the "who drops to the 4th line now that we have Marleau" thread. Sticking with it today and hoping Babs tries it out once Marner is released from his doghouse:

Hyman might be the obvious answer but I think Babs will leave that line alone, in which case Uncle Leo would be my choice. Playing Marleau with Kadri limits Marleau's minutes and gives Kadri a shooter to play with.

Hyman Matthews Nylander
Marleau Kadri Marner
JVR Bozak Brown
Martin Moore Komorov

I like these lines

I think it's clear from the lack of any demotion for Bozie and JVR that they're on the trade block and they want them to look good for a trade scenario

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Lot of over-reaction and exaggerated opinions about the players involved. Mitch will be fine. A stint on the 4th line is not the end of the universe. Likely, only happens for a few shifts.

I haven't seen anyone think this is a permanent thing. Like Nylander he needs a kick up the ass, he is making careless passes and his effort in the Dzone isn't the same level as last year. No one thinks marner should be a permanent 4th liner

Reactions: weems

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
eh, some players just aren't good defensively. defense is a skill too, not just hard work.

jvr has been the best player on that line this year by a good margin.

I'm not talking about defense. I'm talking about compete level in general. This guy is 6'3 and you never see him battling along the boards, cycling the puck effectively, or just attacking the net. Because he doesn't compete, he's as lazy in the offensive zone as he is defensively. Watch the guy, it's so sad sometimes. He could be a monster, yet he is a 6'3 200 floater who puts up points playing with 50% effort.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
The ideal result here would be Matthews double shifting and getting some shifts with Marner.

Reactions: ACC1224

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Ya that "lets give Mitch some easier minutes on the 4th" sounds like a better argument.

I dont see whats so hard about seeing whats being done here? Noone is saying Mitch is bad or anything. They just feel he can play ALOT better and can give them more.

Mitch is trying too hard? I think you'll get alot of differing opinions on that from posters on here.
There will always be differing opinions for various reasons. I can't imagine anyone honestly believing Marner needs to work on his effort.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Not everybody has that hunger/drive to win as a Messier, Toews, Crosby, Getzlaf, McDavid and Matthews. Probably why the Caps can't make it past the 2nd round of the playoffs year in and year out.

Ropesman

May 1, 2016
Charlottetown
The difference with JVR and Bozak is they are done developing and what you see is basically what you get. Why spend all the time trying to turn them into better defensive players when they are not part of the plan going forwards anyhow. Their offensive production would hurt during any efforts to improve their defense making them even less effective then they already are.

Marner is a different story, second year in the league and a huge part of our core moving forward. Makes all the sense in the world to take steps towards shaping Marner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad