Line Combos: Leafs Practice Lines Today

weems

Jul 3, 2008
There will always be differing opinions for various reasons. I can't imagine anyone honestly believing Marner needs to work on his effort.

He's made a TON of soft/cute plays in dangerous areas. Maybe they dont think he needs to necessarily work harder but maybe he needs to be more engaged in certain areas of the ice.

Welsh Maple Leaf

Jan 9, 2017
This may sound as if I'm having a dig but as most of you mp know I'm new to the game so it's genuine - what's Martin good at?

From what I've seen he doesn't have much skill but can 'put himself about' and get physical?

Is that all he's there for, due to us being a young team?

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I wouldn't just blame Bozak though...

JVR and Marner were also at fault to a degree...

The line really wasn't this bad last season (at any 5 game stretch, really...)... but its the right move to split em up to try and get them going... Nothing should be taken for granted in this league.
Oh I didn't mean to just blame Bozak. All three on that line shared that issue with getting the puck out with control, which is why it became such a huge issue. But the center has the biggest role in this, especially in our system, and I don't think Bozak brings as much to the table as the others.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
VanRiemsdykBozakBrown*
MartinMooreMarner*
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Interesting. This is to help who exactly?

Last season when Marner was bumped from that line Babcock came out and said that it was more to help Bozak/JVR improve their game than to send Magic Mitch a message.

Now the same story or marner is being sent a message?

Brown is not going to help that much with the zone exits when Bozak and JVR just coast in the D-zone

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

Last season when Marner was bumped from that line Babcock came out and said that it was more to help Bozak/JVR improve their game than to send Magic Mitch a message.

Brown is not going to help that much with the zone exits when Bozak and JVR just coast in the D-zone

Also interesting to note that oppostions' coach is targeting Bozak/JVR line every chance he gets with his 1st line

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

do you think Marner has been flawless so far this year? he is just as much to blame for that lines shortcomings as the other 2, difference is babcock wants him to learn while the other 2 are gone very soon

Reactions: Glenn Healy

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
It's funny how Babcock and company say that they are going to keep everyone accountable. But the only change so far this season is to move 4th line centres in and out and then demote Marner.

Maybe enforce what you say originally and stop handing out power play time to Bozak & JVR for their shoddy defense. And maybe actually hold them accountable for their play. Watch the driveby from Bozak on Drouin's goal saturday.

If it was up to me Bozak+JVR are gone yestererday.

Its not like we are a top contending team in a running for the cup; cut your losses bring in Kappy/Leivo; teach them and get stronger together!

koka86yanzi

Jan 9, 2013
i know having three wonderkids is a blessing, but sometimes i feel that it may not be the best thing for all three of them. Marner for example...he will constantly be gauged vs Nylander. everyone develops at different speeds, it may not be entirely fair to do a straight up comparison between the two. Lets compare the two at the end of their careers to see who had a better run. Lets not forget how long it took Kadri to become who he is today.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
JVR and Bozak are what they are, but Mitch can be so, so much better than he's been so far this year

It takes a 5 man unit together to have an effective game.

Mitch's linemate Bozo+JVR are a JOKE; and he consistenly has Rielly as his D-man who has not been good.

Don't just blame Marner

Reactions: Eb

one77

Dec 22, 2013

Its not like we are a top contending team in a running for the cup; cut your losses bring in Kappy/Leivo; teach them and get stronger together!
It's not like we are a top contending team in a running for the cup?? What a terrible, skewed way of approaching a team's development.

This team is as good as the next team so far this season. You don't just give up and call it a season because you have a young core.

Thank god we have a wise and experienced management team.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Oh I didn't mean to just blame Bozak. All three on that line shared that issue with getting the puck out with control, which is why it became such a huge issue. But the center has the biggest role in this, especially in our system, and I don't think Bozak brings as much to the table as the others.

I guess it depends on the standards you have, but I think it wouldn't be all that easy to replace a Bozak... Top six centerman aren't that easy to come by.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
People are acting like that line is bad defensively despite Marner's best efforts. He is very much a part of their problem. Bozak and JVR are not great defensive players but Marner has a lot of turnovers that result in the whole forward line chasing the play back into their own zone instead of getting sustained pressure.

This year it feels like once a shift Marner tries and fails to pass it through an opposing players' skates. He's forcing plays that aren't there. But if you read these boards instead of watching the games you might think JVR and Bozak are just ruining brilliant play after brilliant play. I see people saying they just can't keep up to Marner's incredible vision, that's a strange way to describe failed passes.

I think after the success he had last year he's being too predictable. Even on the PP he's not making particularly good decisions with the puck.

Like Zeke says, Bozak and JVR are known quantities. You can call them terrible or useless but they do put the puck in the net and they're proven PP producers.

weems

Jul 3, 2008

That could easily be argued.
Go look at any gambling website and the Leafs odds both at the cup andd also winning the division/conference.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Yeah I think it's a fair demotion, but what is NOT fair is the fact that Bozak and JVR continue to get treated like royalty although they are by far the worst 2-way players on the team.

But JVR scores goals here and there so I guess he gets a free pass... facepalm. Demote those 2 next time. Or put Komarov/Brown on that line at the very least.

scoring one goal (JVR) but be on ice for 2 goals against is not a net positive on the team

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
It's not like we are a top contending team in a running for the cup?? What a terrible, skewed way of approaching a team's development.

This team is as good as the next team so far this season. You don't just give up and call it a season because you have a young core.

Thank god we have a wise and experienced management team.

And you also not sit on your behind letting assets walk free while getting premium minutes and treatment from the coach for being absolute tools defensively

It is not just about the present but about present + future!!!!

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
I like this move. Bozak's line has been terrible defensively. Hopefully, Brown will stabilize that line. I felt Marner, when on Bozak's line, was trying to do too much. He was driving the offensive and defense and puck retrieval. I think Marner with Martin and Moore/Fehr, he can focus more on creativity and learning how to shoot.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Love how the two laziest guys on the team stay right where they are but marner gets demoted.

Marner hasn’t been good by his standard to be sure, but that wasn’t the answer for making changes to that line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad