Pre-Game Talk: Leafs @ Panthers Tue Apr 16 730PM TSN4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Keefe is making it very hard for me to get excited for the playoffs. I guess I will start getting more excited if things go surprisingly well in round 1 and they win the series. It’s just Keefe is brain dead moron. He will play the wrong lineup till it’s basically too late. Always waits for things to occur, instead of being proactive.

jiggy35

Jun 26, 2012
Woll starting against panthers is pretty interesting, sounds like he has a chance to prove he can be the guy for the playoffs.

Reactions: wingman75

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Keefe is making it very hard for me to get excited for the playoffs. I guess I will start getting more excited if things go surprisingly well in round 1 and they win the series. It’s just Keefe is brain dead moron. He will play the wrong lineup till it’s basically too late. Always waits for things to occur, instead of being proactive.
I am not a Keefe fan, but it does seem like this year he gives less f***s about making people happy and has been given some rope to go ahead with more harsh or cutthroat decisions that will benefit the team. Time will tell, but seems like we're finally going to roll in with a more balanced lineup for playoffs and not unnecessarily play certain guys who are detrimental to the team for the sake of 'loyalty'.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I am not a Keefe fan, but it does seem like this year he gives less f***s about making people happy and has been given some rope to go ahead with more harsh or cutthroat decisions that will benefit the team. Time will tell, but seems like we're finally going to roll in with a more balanced lineup for playoffs and not unnecessarily play certain guys who are detrimental to the team for the sake of 'loyalty'.

I can agree with that, I do see what you see. I just still don’t have much faith in him playing the right people. I think Brodie will be in game 1, and when he makes a couple of bonehead plays that cost us goals and the game, Keefe will pull him. But we’ll be down 1-0 already. I hope you’re right, though.

Reactions: OddyOh and arso40

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
You mean you don’t want to see TJ Brodie a player whose play has fallen off a cliff this season play prime minutes in crucial games? Have defensive pairs that haven’t worked all year be consistently shoved down out throats? I for one am really looking forward to the moment I get to watch the Rielly-Brodie pair!

Seriously I want to see this team succeed more than almost anything, but if they don’t win a couple rounds this year he surely has to be gone, right?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

I don’t understand Keefe’s mentality of putting together poorly thought out lines (in general) with no apparently design other than to see what happens and collect empirical data, then rush back to the tried and true stale combos.

If we’re going to be playing Florida, is there any strategic thought that goes into trying to actively disrupt the Barkov Reinhart combo, like stick a shadow on Barkov and cut off that connection, or put a big body line vs Tkachuk and just try to frustrate him off his game, put some body blows on him early and do something different than last year?

If we want to embrace the underdog role that’s great. But I’m sensing very little preparation that puts us into that mindset with units forming and getting into that head space.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
After seeing mccabes face, that man should be allowed to sit in the press box with unlimited bags of popcorn.

No need to dress him these last two games, give him the week off. Or at least go 7 dman and play him like 15 minutes max

The biggest thing for these two games is to get in healthy. Second and third can be Matthews getting 70 and nylander going for 100. Prioritize health over everything

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
After seeing mccabes face, that man should be allowed to sit in the press box with unlimited bags of popcorn.

No need to dress him these last two games, give him the week off. Or at least go 7 dman and play him like 15 minutes max

The biggest thing for these two games is to get in healthy. Second and third can be Matthews getting 70 and nylander going for 100. Prioritize health over everything
Players like to play, I'm guessing he wants to if he's still in the lineup.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
While I was there in March tickets were 80 bucks to sit Center Ice for Bolts/Panthers.

Sawgrass area is nice and the crowd was insane.
I have enjoyed both Leafs games I've been to in Sunrise, but the location is truly awful in terms of getting out of the area after games. Both times we had to hang out at Sawgrass Mills or whatever cause Ubers/Lyfts/cabs were so expensive or unavailable, and the second time all the bars/restaurants were full so we just sat around until we could get out of there.

Reactions: Jojalu

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010

Same. Even with the flaws of the core, Keefe is the teams biggest detriment. It's like playing every game with a handicap.

weems

Jul 3, 2008

This is part of what makes hockey such a special sport in that players will sacrifice their bodies so much to win the cup.

I was listening to a interview last night on Sportsnet 590 and they were talking to the SD Padres coach. He was asked about the performance of one of his players and he said something along the lines of " He's a hard worker, tons of heart and has that hockey mentality".

It was pretty cool hearing a coach of a totally different sport give props to the sport of hockey and basically say that hockey players are just wired differently.

Reactions: OddyOh and ACC1224

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
I have enjoyed both Leafs games I've been to in Sunrise, but the location is truly awful in terms of getting out of the area after games. Both times we had to hang out at Sawgrass Mills or whatever cause Ubers/Lyfts/cabs were so expensive or unavailable, and the second time all the bars/restaurants were full so we just sat around until we could get out of there.
I had that problem last year during the WBC. What a nightmare.

I was lucky to get into a bar after the game so I didn't experience that problem, but yes. There is not a lot of ways to get out..

Reactions: Rob Brown

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
Since there is nothing to play for in the standings I hope they try some stuff to get the points & goals. Have JT and AM on at 5v5 for the 3 second goal off a faceoff. Load up line one with the big 3

Last edited:

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
I just hope for an injury free game. Matthews gets his 70th and hopefully Willy can hit 100 points.

See how tonight shakes out before worrying about tomorrow. Hopefully the Florida teams play more of a run down version of there teams but I don't expect it.

At the same time this could be a show me what you got right before the playoffs.

It'll be interesting to see who comes out flying.

Reactions: arso40

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I just hope for an injury free game. Matthews gets his 70th and hopefully Willy can hit 100 points.

See how tonight shakes out before worrying about tomorrow. Hopefully the Florida teams play more of a run down version of there teams but I don't expect it.

At the same time this could be a show me what you got right before the playoffs.

It'll be interesting to see who comes out flying.
I don't see any reason for Leafs to come out flying and if Boston clinches 1st in the Atlantic, none for Florida either.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I don’t understand Keefe’s mentality of putting together poorly thought out lines (in general) with no apparently design other than to see what happens and collect empirical data, then rush back to the tried and true stale combos.

If we’re going to be playing Florida, is there any strategic thought that goes into trying to actively disrupt the Barkov Reinhart combo, like stick a shadow on Barkov and cut off that connection, or put a big body line vs Tkachuk and just try to frustrate him off his game, put some body blows on him early and do something different than last year?

If we want to embrace the underdog role that’s great. But I’m sensing very little preparation that puts us into that mindset with units forming and getting into that head space.
Who are you thinking would shadow the top line?

I'd rather put the Benoit/McCabe pairing vs Tkachuk than a fwd group personally

Reactions: horner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad