Leafs need to address the goaltending.

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
When Woll went down with that high ankle sprain, i never thought for a second i would be choosing Samsonov over Woll at any point of this season. Never. Heck i was ready to throw the towel on Sammy's time as a Leaf.

Crazy how things change. come back soon please Sammy.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
When Woll went down with that high ankle sprain, i never thought for a second i would be choosing Samsonov over Woll at any point of this season. Never. Heck i was ready to throw the towel on Sammy's time as a Leaf.

I agree with this. I wouldn't go as far as to say I'm pining for Samsonov as his body of work overall still is substandard, but I definitely would prefer the Samsonov from the last 15 games or so in net.

Perhaps the ankle injury that Woll is coming back from is taking him a bit longer to get back up to speed. I'm bullish on him, and do see a future with him as the #1. But one thing that he has to clean up quickly, especially if he is going to see time in the playoffs, is the inconsistency that plagues him. Don't recall a stretch of 5+ games this year where he's been lights out. It's always been him being a rock star like he was against Carolina, then look like a sieve the next start like last night against New Jersey.

Sep 18, 2009

sammy? leafs need a real goalie

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
I agree with this. I wouldn't go as far as to say I'm pining for Samsonov as his body of work overall still is substandard, but I definitely would prefer the Samsonov from the last 15 games or so in net.

Perhaps the ankle injury that Woll is coming back from is taking him a bit longer to get back up to speed. I'm bullish on him, and do see a future with him as the #1. But one thing that he has to clean up quickly, especially if he is going to see time in the playoffs, is the inconsistency that plagues him. Don't recall a stretch of 5+ games this year where he's been lights out. It's always been him being a rock star like he was against Carolina, then look like a sieve the next start like last night against New Jersey.

is any goalie lights out that long? Demko only twice this season has 5 consecutive games with a 900+ sv percentage. Saros only once, Hellybuck twice. Shesterkin 3 times. and these are the best goalie's in the league not a rookie just breaking into the league.

Woll has a similar number of career games played as Devon Levi. He’s really not ready to assume any playoff starting job. Just needs more reps and won’t get there this season.

everybody on here believes were not going anywhere so why not play him and give him the experience for the future when he is ready? not losing anything if he doesn't play well.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Woll has a lot of athletic ability and makes saves he has no business making pretty much every game.

Maybe it’s a lack of games due to injury, but I feel he sometimes struggles to track the puck on basic shots or scramble plays that lead to some pretty crappy goals against. First goal against NJ was an obvious one but there are other instances I’ve noticed even when he makes the save.

Sammy is guilty of this too but he’s obviously just playing better rn.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
1711583181040.png

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
is any goalie lights out that long? Demko only twice this season has 5 consecutive games with a 900+ sv percentage. Saros only once, Hellybuck twice. Shesterkin 3 times. and these are the best goalie's in the league not a rookie just breaking into the league.

everybody on here believes were not going anywhere so why not play him and give him the experience for the future when he is ready? not losing anything if he doesn't play well.

You raise a valid point.

On one hand, the expectations for the Leafs probably shouldn’t be that high. They may very well be stuck in their early playoff exit pattern and it could be a good time to give Woll more developmental reps which may serve him well down the line and also give the team a better picture of what his ceiling is.

On the other hand, he doesn’t really deserve more reps on merit more than the situation dictates. He’s a promising platoon guy with a lot of nice attributes. I dunno do I’m convinced the entire stretch drive and playoffs should be given to him as his runway.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Way I see it,

WOLL
Upside is he pulls a Binner and can support a cup run - dudes a gamer. Downside is he's too fresh to take a team deep, and he might be injured.

SAMMY
Upside is he suddenly improves playoff performance and doesn't let in a bad goal a game - can support the team just enough for an honest run. Downside is he breaks down completely, or continues as last year and we are super lucky to get a round.

JONES
Upside is he provides stable goaltending tapping into 60 games of good playoff experience - can support the team just enough for an honest run. Downside is he performs below average and it's tough to win.

Hopefully we can get a healthy Woll running hot, otherwise I don't think it matters too much.

It's tough to juggle even two goalies though let alone three in the playoffs (Vegas got bounced trying to juggle two studs), so a lot rides on who they select to start with the net.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Over his last 20 per Statmuse, "Ilya Samsonov has a record of 15-4-1 in 20 games with a goals against average of 2.43 and a save percentage of .914 in his last 20 games in his career."

Per NHL.com, (though these are numbers based on year to date) this places him:
1) tied for 4th overall GAA with Hellybuck.
2) tied for 7th overall Sv% with: Ullmark, Hill and Bobrovsky.

Perhaps are goaltending situation isn't as dire as some are contending?

NJG

Jun 27, 2015
Over his last 20 per Statmuse, "Ilya Samsonov has a record of 15-4-1 in 20 games with a goals against average of 2.43 and a save percentage of .914 in his last 20 games in his career."

Per NHL.com, (though these are numbers based on year to date) this places him:
1) tied for 4th overall GAA with Hellybuck.
2) tied for 7th overall Sv% with: Ullmark, Hill and Bobrovsky.

Perhaps are goaltending situation isn't as dire as some are contending?
Our goalies aren't the problem it's the horrible defence, always has been. I don't think it's a coincidence every goalie that comes here doesn't thrive, but sure let's blame the goalies and not the fact that we have a mediocre defence and have had a mediocre defence for a while.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Our goalies aren't the problem it's the horrible defence, always has been. I don't think it's a coincidence every goalie that comes here doesn't thrive, but sure let's blame the goalies and not the fact that we have a mediocre defence and have had a mediocre defence for a while.
Been saying this all season. We have one true top 4 D man, McCabe is a fringe top 4 guy and a bunch of bottom pair or 7th caliber D men. We give up high danger chances like crazy and leave the goalie hanging but some people blame the goalie. If we had a legit D core in front of them all season, I bet we see different results.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Samsonov is what he is. A talented goalie, but mentally fragile. He goes on streaks like this, than all of a sudden falls off a cliff. Hopefully he has turned a corner and will give this team
consistency down the stretch and in the playoffs. I would not sign him long term though

Mar 26, 2010
Both Woll and Sammy let in muffins. Shit goaltending like that will kill us in the playoffs.
This sums it up. Great game from Sammy last night, but it is the consistency that is missing.

Woll looks terrible since returning from his injury. Not the same player.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
This sums it up. Great game from Sammy last night, but it is the consistency that is missing.

Woll looks terrible since returning from his injury. Not the same player.
When a goalie misses as much time as Woll did, it's hard to get your timing back. You need to play games to get into a groove. When Sammy was out for a few games and Woll was playing those 3 games closer together, he had a .953 and and a .958 in 2 of those starts.

The more he plays, I suspect he looks like he did before

Reactions: Petrus and OddyOh

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
Is there any chance Murray plays in the playoffs?

There's a change Samsonov, Woll, and Jones all get injured. Yes.

But he'd be #4 on the depth chart, at most. If Murray plays a playoff game this postseason then a great many things have gone wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad