Leafs need to address the goaltending.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I agree with one more add to the backend, one more that doesn't cost much that is.

I feel better about our goaltending than ever before with this core. I thought Sammy was done but instead, he's back and playing like a guy who could excel in the playoffs. Woll has been great for a long time, and looked very good in his 1st game back so we have two guys, both of who could get the job done. Not bad at all.

As far as who starts game 1, I say that's up for grabs. Whoever plays the best from here on in starts game 1. If it's close then maybe you give the nod to Sammy cause like you say, he won a round but if Woll clearly is better down the stretch than there's no reason not to start him and there's a good chance both goalies play in the playoffs at some point.
Exactly right .. da problem with Sammy which we knew about, and inherited, when we signed him in his mental health .. and when he loses it there is nothing any tender coach is gonna do about it until he recovers .. not many really understand it because he can't focus, once it sets in, which is awful for a tender .. and quite frankly until someone very close to you goes through it you would never get it .. i know i never did until my daughter started with it in her early teens .. and it appears to be a lifelong condition .. it truly can bring one to his/her knees much worse than many physical injuries'

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Exactly right .. da problem with Sammy which we knew about, and inherited, when we signed him in his mental health .. and when he loses it there is nothing any tender coach is gonna do about it until he recovers .. not many really understand it because he can't focus, once it sets in, which is awful for a tender .. and quite frankly until someone very close to you goes through it you would never get it .. i know i never did until my daughter started with it in her early teens .. and it appears to be a lifelong condition .. it truly can bring one to his/her knees much worse than many physical injuries'
Well, whatever has been bothering Sammy seems to be gone for now so let's hope he keeps on rolling for a few more months. :)

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Is it just me or have we had at least 1 goalie step up at each part of our season when we needed one to? Woll early, Jones when Woll got hurt and Sammy was STRUGGGGGGGGLING and once Jones started to faulter Sammy picked himself right back up and started living his best life.

Lets hope we get some healthy goalies rolling into the playoffs together.
z9zyl5tfcioc1.png

Reactions: OddyOh and ACC1224

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
He’s been reasonable.

With Woll just coming back I don’t think there is time to get him in.
That's the thing. Samsonov has been good as of late, and we need to get Woll fully up to speed. I just think there isn't enough games to go around, to get those two going the way we will need them, plus get Jones games.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Sammy thank you for your services of late. Time to give Woller a stretch/look.
Yes please.
Let's not forget how Sammy did last end of season / playoffs.

Hopefully Woll can make up for Keefe's comedy level lines, Brodie even being on the ice, almost zero back checking from our forwards, and Matthews slumping.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Yes please.
Let's not forget how Sammy did last end of season / playoffs.

Hopefully Woll can make up for Keefe's comedy level lines, Brodie even being on the ice, almost zero back checking from our forwards, and Matthews slumping.

Matthews might becoming out of it5 points last night, 2 goals and other taken away.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I doubt anyone in the Leafs' organization knows who is playing net next year.

They might not know who the backup is next year, I'm not even convinced theu know who the starter is given that Woll missed 3 months and hasn't been great since coming back, even last night he wasn't great giving up 3 on 21 shots.

But I can guarantee they KNOW it WON'T be Murray.

He's going to be a PTO guy

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Why would Murray even be a consideration at this point. He's been off all year, and he's been mentally fragile and a substandard goalie since his days with Pittsburgh more than 5 years ago. I like his potential, and last year he decent. But it's not like he is some great goalie that we need to force him back after a long hiatus. Woll and Samsonov certainly cannot be any worse than what Murray would bring. Let him condition in the AHL and if injuries to two of the three goalies occur, then force the issue. But if that's the case, the season would be pretty much over by then anyways.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
If he's cleared what does that mean to the cap?
It's screwed. :laugh:

The only way we could activate him, is if someone with a cap hit of over $3.35 million, went on LTIR. Our regular season ends April 17th.

Or the more likely scenario... we send him to the Marlies, for a conditioning stint. That's a maximum of six days, or three games, with the possibility we can ask for a two game extension, which is usually granted. So if he's cleared internally on April 7th, we could send him down that day for a LTIR conditioning stint.... he's good until April 12th... Marlies have three games... maybe he gets in two... and then you ask for the extension. Marlies play the 13th, 17th and 20th. You play Murray on the 13th and 20th.... and then the AHL and NHL season are over, and the cap is irrelevant.

That would be an interesting situation, if all of Sammy, Woll, Murray and Jones are healthy at once. Murray's stats with the team, don't place him in the top two options... but I guess injury depth is fine.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
If he's cleared what does that mean to the cap?
Nothing because he still needs to get into game condition with Marlies onto loan .. that said he is not playing for us in playoffs .. Sammy will get nod to start game 1 .. and it is his net to lose .. Woll will be his backup .. anyone gets hurt and Jones becomes backup .. pretty simple plan .. we have enough in net .. our issue will be D .. we have gotten better with boosh and Edmunston .. to me my worries are Lily and Brodie .. both not playoff stable

Reactions: ACC1224

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Nothing because he still needs to get into game condition with Marlies onto loan .. that said he is not playing for us in playoffs .. Sammy will get nod to start game 1 .. and it is his net to lose .. Woll will be his backup .. anyone gets hurt and Jones becomes backup .. pretty simple plan .. we have enough in net .. our issue will be D .. we have gotten better with boosh and Edmunston .. to me my worries are Lily and Brodie .. both not playoff stable

It’s a huge mistake going with Sam. He gets exposed against contenders. Florida or Boston will light him up easy. I’d rather go Woll all the way.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
It’s a huge mistake going with Sam. He gets exposed against contenders. Florida or Boston will light him up easy. I’d rather go Woll all the way.
I understand .. but bottom line Sammy is only tender to win us a playoff round and that means everything .. Woll came in against Cats and although he played well he lost .. Sammy will have a short leash .. it is his net to lose

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
I understand .. but bottom line Sammy is only tender to win us a playoff round and that means everything .. Woll came in against Cats and although he played well he lost .. Sammy will have a short leash .. it is his net to lose
Woll to me is just a much better goalie. people talk about how he hasn't been great since coming back from injury but he's played 5 games since returning almost a month ago no wonder he can't get into a rhythm and get his game back to where he was before being injured. he has much better mechanics then Sammy, I believe he's also more athletic, better positionally and just looks and plays bigger in the net. when you watch sammy it's not surprising he's been inconsistent his entire career.

Woll imo is going to be our goalie of the future and especially since the vast majority of fans believe we will lose in the first round mid-aswell give him some more experience and start Woll. today if you asked me if Sammy or Woll could steal a playoff series it's not even a tough decision it's Woll.

also on a side note, I wouldn't be opposed to us giving Murray a league min contract to be in a similar role as Martin was this year. if he could ever stay healthy and I get that's a huge question mark I still believe there's alot of potential there. espicially if needed only for a month or two.

Edit: I will also add that having two good goalies in the playoffs is meaningless, only 1 guy plays by the time you have to make the switch it's usually to late, last years playoffs is a perfect example, by the time we went with Woll it was too late.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheTotalPackage

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad