Leafs need to address the goaltending.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
You sure about that? I hope you are right I really do, I would LOVE for him to turn out to be a legitimate #1 goaltender, and truthfully from what he showed it looks promising.

However I don't trust his health, I need my #1 goalie to be healthy and he's missed nearly 3 months, and this isn't his first ankle injury either.

I would HAPPILY take the L on this one if he turns into that dude.

I just don't know if he's going to be healthy enough to be that dude.

Flames’ Huska confirms no timetable for Jacob Markstrom after injury in practice​

0:52 | January 16, 2024
Calgary Flames head coach Ryan Huska provides an update on Jacob Markstrom’s injury he picked up in practice confirming there is no timetable for his return with D-man Noah Hanifin urging the team to use it as an opportunity to step up their game.

Plus he's 34 I feel if they aren't much better then Freddie why give up assets.

drede

Jul 13, 2023
What’s the love affair with Saros? He has no playoff pedigree to speak of. They are better off with Woll and Sammy.
Argee woll is there future and they have a great looking goalie in the Ahl who will he his backup maybe next season and few decent looking prospects too

Saros also looks to be declining whoever trades for him might be a big mistake

Reactions: Da Cool Rula

Da Cool Rula

Sep 8, 2017
Montego Bay, Jamaica
You sure about that? I hope you are right I really do, I would LOVE for him to turn out to be a legitimate #1 goaltender, and truthfully from what he showed it looks promising.

However I don't trust his health, I need my #1 goalie to be healthy and he's missed nearly 3 months, and this isn't his first ankle injury either.

I would HAPPILY take the L on this one if he turns into that dude.

I just don't know if he's going to be healthy enough to be that dude.
Oh agree health is an issue. If healthy though I love his progress. And Just don't want Markstrom

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Team sure made it hard on him for his first game back. Thankfully he held steady despite the defensive lapses

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
A good return here for Woll. Hoping that the goaltending can turn a corner for good now.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Woll is the saviour!!!!

He played well, but it was Arizona, Arizona has lost 13 or 14 in a row, Arizona is finished, Arizona does not give a f***.

The next 4 are NYR, Boston, Buffalo, Boston got to see it against the NYR and Boston.

Arizona doesn't tell you much

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
1 more add to backend Tre .. stay da course .. Sammy starts game 1 round 1 because he won us a round last year .. if he wins he stays in .. if he loses then move to Woll quickly .. our tending situation is fine .. our D is still not playoff ready

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
1 more add to backend Tre .. stay da course .. Sammy starts game 1 round 1 because he won us a round last year .. if he wins he stays in .. if he loses then move to Woll quickly .. our tending situation is fine .. our D is still not playoff ready
I agree with one more add to the backend, one more that doesn't cost much that is.

I feel better about our goaltending than ever before with this core. I thought Sammy was done but instead, he's back and playing like a guy who could excel in the playoffs. Woll has been great for a long time, and looked very good in his 1st game back so we have two guys, both of who could get the job done. Not bad at all.

As far as who starts game 1, I say that's up for grabs. Whoever plays the best from here on in starts game 1. If it's close then maybe you give the nod to Sammy cause like you say, he won a round but if Woll clearly is better down the stretch than there's no reason not to start him and there's a good chance both goalies play in the playoffs at some point.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
He played well, but it was Arizona, Arizona has lost 13 or 14 in a row, Arizona is finished, Arizona does not give a f***.

The next 4 are NYR, Boston, Buffalo, Boston got to see it against the NYR and Boston.

Arizona doesn't tell you much
It was just one game so in that sense I guess you could say that it doesn't tell you much. It tells you something though, sometimes that first game tells you quite a bit and so far so good! It doesn't matter that it was "only" Arizona, Woll made good saves and it doesn't matter what team is shooting the puck, a save is equally difficult to make no matter who the shooter is. A save is a save is a save (old Russian saying ;)).

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
It was just one game so in that sense I guess you could say that it doesn't tell you much. It tells you something though, sometimes that first game tells you quite a bit and so far so good! It doesn't matter that it was "only" Arizona, Woll made good saves and it doesn't matter what team is shooting the puck, a save is equally difficult to make no matter who the shooter is. A save is a save is a save (old Russian saying ;)).

Hey It's been a promising start no denying that I have to see him get through the Boston games assuming he gets that chance.

Boston won't make it easy on him they will go hard to net every chance they get they will knock him around.

The Boston games are the ones I'm concerned about.

I think people think that I hate Woll, the truth is Woll is the one I have BY FAR the most confidence in talent, he looks like he might have the talent to be that dude, and if he turns out to be that dude believe me I will HAPPILY take the L because it will mean we will have a legitimate top #1 goaltender which is what I want.

My concern with Woll is his health, if he's going to be that dude, the one he's shown flashes of he can't be missing 3 months of the year.

This wasn't his first ankle injury either It's at least his 2nd.

That's why whoever they get in the off season, because they will have to bring in a goalie because both Sammy and Jones are free agents and I HIGHLY doubt either is coming back

Whoever it is needs 2 things

#1 they can't mentally shatter for 4 months like Sammy did.

#2 they need to be able to challenge Woll, because as good as Woll has been when he's been healthy he hasn't been healthy enough.

If he plays 50+ games next year and maintains the numbers he has now, at that point he's the guy.

But he's still got to prove he can stay healthy and do that.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Boston won't make it easy on him they will go hard to net every chance they get they will knock him around.

The Boston games are the ones I'm concerned about.
I ask this as an honest question: have you watched Boston play this season? They do not charge the net. They are one of the least physical teams in the league. What they were years ago isn't what they are now. They benefited from a very easy opening schedule, and have been little more than a middle of the pack team since the new year. I would have no concern about Woll's health or ability against Boston.

Reactions: andora

horner

May 22, 2007
If your starter is playing 50+ games you need a back-up for 32, which could be a combination of a Jones and Hildeby.
Next year Murray hips will be fixed probably play some games with the marlies at the end of the season and playoffs

He is doing some light skating now

He will have to sign a 1 mil to show he can play

Just a thought

horner

May 22, 2007
I ask this as an honest question: have you watched Boston play this season? They do not charge the net. They are one of the least physical teams in the league. What they were years ago isn't what they are now. They benefited from a very easy opening schedule, and have been little more than a middle of the pack team since the new year. I would have no concern about Woll's health or ability against Boston.
Hope Lyubushkin is OK for Monday
I heard it told Sammy it wasn't that bad

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Hope Lyubushkin is OK for Monday
I heard it told Sammy it wasn't that bad
They should keep him out for a few games. There is no need to rush him back. The reality is that the games right now don't mean much. The leafs are locked into a playoff spot, and my guess is that they aren't overly concerned about seeding.

Reactions: horner

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
They should keep him out for a few games. There is no need to rush him back. The reality is that the games right now don't mean much. The leafs are locked into a playoff spot, and my guess is that they aren't overly concerned about seeding.
I sure hope you're right!

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Next year Murray hips will be fixed probably play some games with the marlies at the end of the season and playoffs

He is doing some light skating now

He will have to sign a 1 mil to show he can play

Just a thought

That is AT BEST a #3 goalie replacement you want to talk about injury prone, if you breath on Matt Murray he gets hurt.

Reactions: horner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad