Pre-Game Talk: Leafs @ Habs | Feb 9 | 7PM CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Amazing call on the radio the other day. Some guy called in and told the host he thinks the Leafs should call up some Marlies to play on the blue line.

I think the host was pretty speechless.

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
phaneuf holzer
liles kostka
fraser franson

i guess it was just a matter of finding someone who could handle the minutes to replace kostka
i think he'll do well on the 2nd p

kind of reminiscent to the infamous phaneuf - schenn tandem
hopefully it works

plus:
phaneuf-franson could be #1 pp
liles-kostka #2 pp

Asif16*

Here hoping Prust doesnt chicken out and actually challenges Orr this time. He knew he was get his ass beat if he challenged orr. I bet even mclaren would beat his ass.:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Side Note: We have such a physical and grinding hockey team now. We have guys that can fight like Mclaren, orr and fraser. Then we have guys who arent afraid to mix it up and grind like Kadri, Komarov, Frattin (can flat out hit), holzer and phaneuf. Even cody franson is getting physical.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Here hoping Prust doesnt chicken out and actually challenges Orr this time. He knew he was get his ass beat if he challenged orr. I bet even mclaren would beat his ass.:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Side Note: We have such a physical and grinding hockey team now. We have guys that can fight like Mclaren, orr and fraser. Then we have guys who arent afraid to mix it up and grind like Kadri, Komarov, Frattin (can flat out hit), holzer and phaneuf. Even cody franson is getting physical.

Yeah I'm liking the physical play from the Leafs too. Lots of guys to step up and defend their teammates should the need arise.

NaiveLeafsFan

Aug 29, 2010
Ajax, UofT
James Mirtle ‏@mirtle

Kadri getting time on both PP and PK in practice today. May start to see his ice time increase here.

Mike Zeisberger ‏@Zeisberger

Kadri receiving plenty of special teams work at practice, both on pp and pk. Leafs pp 25th, PK 24th. #Leafs

django-gifs-13_zps6fa84563.gif

Nice to see him on the PK, would really like to see us get some more shorties this year.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA

Hold On!
I thought we didn't have the personnel to playing a grinding, physical, Carlyle style game?

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
PK is 24th? That's surprising to me considering that this season I am not thinking that every PP against is an automatic goal like last season.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009

They aren't even in the same weight class, neither of them. If Prust is going to fight anyone, it's Brown and Brown is injured.

BayStBullies

Burn the Boats!
Apr 1, 2012
@BayStBullies
Surprisingly, the radio call ins have been fairly upbeat concerning Reimer.

Yeah; I have no massive complaints on the guy.

I still think he leaves too much of the top of the net open; he just hasn't been burnt enough for people to get on him about it yet. Sometimes he provides the vertical coverage of a midget. I'm not sure where he learned that "make yourself tiny" technique.

Similar to this:

James-Reimer.jpg

I know he is angled; but he is obviously going down, as a player can fit through those legs. The body remains compressed when going down; which leaves most of the net exposed when he drops. I prefer Scrivens' approach (although poorly executed); keeping as much of your torso/arms high; so when dropping, gravity doesn't leave you exposed up top. I'd prefer Reimer to stretch his body vertically; not compress, before dropping. I just don't get it.

The glove positioning also needs a lot of work; he never seems to know what to do with it.

Compare to Lundqvist (shorter goalie):

Henrik-Lundqvist-Hockey.jpg

Similar stance (without the horrible glove position); but elongated vertically. Evidenced by how his legs are much more ready to drop down; yet his shoulders are still more crossbar high than Reimer (the camera is favourable to Lundqvist; but the important part is how low his legs actually are; yet the torso is covering at least as much territory).

The stick positioning is similar (off to the side; to anticipate dropping); Lundqvist has wider spread legs; putting the stick more centered (Lundqvist also has his blocker/stick at a more favourable angle; flat surface forward, not angled).

Another example:

f3b901504cc0965515d73006e7ce.jpeg

This one has Reimer with more spread legs; closer to the ground. His compressed torso has not adjusted, still dropping with his legs. Much more space up top; this continues until he drops. It's too late to push your torso back up; the NHL is too fast for that.

Keep your eye on it; he's been doing this stance frequently. It's his "go to" move; especially with any form of traffic.

Note: I'm aware the angle is to buffer puck rebounds; but Lundqvist is angled as well (definitely far from 90 degrees). Reimer is too bent over. If your crest is behind your pads in a standing stance; that's a problem.

Last edited:

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
Kadri was on the PK last night for about 20 seconds or something at least once. He's shown that he's willing to block shots, might as well give him a shot. Also hope to see Frattin on the PP.

I think he played some PK in junior:

Disclaimer: music was not put in by me.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Too busy at work to do the GDT tomorrow. First to respond in the official stickied GDT sign up thread gets it.

Penalty Kill Icing*

To repeat what crump said, tomorrow's GDT is open. If anyone wants to claim it, he/she can.

Just note that put it up by noon on game day and that you put at least some reasonable effort into it.

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
Another example:

f3b901504cc0965515d73006e7ce.jpeg

This one has Reimer with more spread legs; closer to the ground. His compressed torso has not adjusted, still dropping with his legs. Much more space up top; this continues until he drops. It's too late to push your torso back up; the NHL is too fast for that.

Keep your eye on it; he's been doing this stance frequently. It's his "go to" move; especially with any form of traffic.

Note: I'm aware the angle is to buffer puck rebounds; but Lundqvist is angled as well (definitely far from 90 degrees). Reimer is too bent over. If your crest is behind your pads in a standing stance; that's a problem.

This is known to be as Reimer's Crouching Tiger, Hide My Dragon posture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad