Leafs fans: are you cheering for wins or losses?

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
I cheer for them to win but im not mad when they lose. I want to see our players do well, I want to see trade value rise and our young players progressing and learning how to be winners. If we didnt already have some top draft picks in the system like Rielly, Kadri, Nylander and Marner I would say we need to tank, but I love our prospect pool and think we have a legit shot at signing Stamkos this summer, i'd rather see this team win especially once we call up Willie.

Last edited:

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
If you cheer for the win, than you're a loser.
I kid.

It is a difficult question - I am die-est of diehards, and it pains me to hope for a loss. I am cheering for the future, and have come to the conclusion that the only way to progress is to hit rock bottom with this team. I will still watch, and go to games - I am supporting the team, not the roster. I hope for individual success, and progression; but have become numb to the scoreboard.

Dwolf63

Jul 12, 2015
I'm cheering for them to win. I don't care about the whole tank thing. It's more of a lottery than ever. I accept they're probably not going to win enough to get out of a top 10 pick. I would rather have them finish in a natural position for a 4th pick and on, and win one of the top three, than have them finish in the bottom three and lose out on all three top picks via the lottery - and with our luck that'll probably happen.

Most especially I'm cheering them to beat every team the Pittsburgh Penguins have to catch or surpass to gain a playoff spot. I want that second 1st rounder. Coincidentally, I'm also cheering for Kessell to go on a tear and help get that Penguin team into the playoffs this year.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I want this team to succeed but at this time it is best to acquire a higher pick rather then accumulating more wins for nothing

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
I know you're being sarcastic, and trying to "prove" that cheering for losses is a bad idea, but most people have an answer to that question and it's either after this year or next.

No sarcasm intended. Not trying to prove anything. Just curious as to timeline. Should get very interesting on HFB when that hope suffers a set back, which is bound to happen.

Mike1

Jul 29, 2002
Mississauga,Ontario
Visit site
Deep down all I'm thinking about is draft position. If we win & stay in the same spot I'm fine with it. If we go on a winning streak & move up a bunch of spots(like we did earlier this year) then it feels bittersweet.

The bottom line is this, the higher the draft pick, the better odds the Leafs have of getting a key player to help turn this thing around. It's the most important thing to achieve this year. Not getting 3rd rounders at the trade deadline, not getting the team to work hard because most of the players are stop gaps. It's the draft pick.

Ash35

Jan 29, 2010
During the game I cheer for the win. Even though I want them to finish last. I figure I might as well cheer for them to win because I have no influence on who wins anyway. I might as well enjoy the game.

Leaf of the Mind

BABS WAS BOB
Feb 6, 2015
All for the tank atm. I don't put any stock in the people freaking out that tanking turns into Oilers style dysfunction. The Oil are like the 76ers or Cleveland Browns, freakishly terrible teams that in no way reflect the majority of teams which inevitably improve through the draft.
I agree with those that think there's two more years (including this one) of a guaranteed lottery team here.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
I cheer for them to win during the games, and then hope they lost after. Its an interesting dynamic.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
I cheer for wins first and foremost, but am not hurt by losses, so long as the team puts in an honest effort. Essentially, I cheer for wins, but understand the need for higher picks.

Seras

Dubas supporter
Sep 1, 2015
New Westminster, BC. Canada
It's the final game of the season. Leafs are in second to last place down 3-2 against the last place team with 43 seconds left in the game. Losing this game assures leafs last place. I'm waiting for the goalie to be pulled so we can tie the game and win in OT.

Win > loss

There is no future, only the present

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Voted cheer for the win. I dont cheer for the loss but I like when we lose too. It's a win win scenario but I don't cheer when we lose.

champs*

We all should be cheering for wins because we know there going to lose! :handclap:

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
Although I wish we could make a playoff run, after reading the Russian 5 articles on hot stove I understand the need to tank and get the best possible Russian players. We will be a powerhouse next season. one of the most feared squads in the league once we get our own Russian 5 going here in TO.

sacrificing a season for that isn't so bad. Just don't lose badly. lose with style as someone said earlier haha

OldMilIce

Apr 30, 2015
Niagara, ON
I voted indifferent. Realistically this roster isn't going to win a lot, and losing would be in the teams best interest (better draft position), but the more the season goes on the more I find myself just wanting to be able to watch a team that tries hard and competes every night. I think maybe that is the best thing that came out of the dumpster fire that was the second half of last year. Now we've truly seen a team that didn't care and wasn't any good, so much so that even the team now, probably worse talent wise, looks great in comparison. I've watched more leaf hockey this year already than I have the last two years, because the team is playing so well that the results don't really bother me, especially when you compare this roster to some of the top end teams.

Terrible GM

Jul 10, 2013
Maritimes
We win a lot more later if we lose now. I dislike the points we got from OT/Shoot out. Rather just have the win.

I hate watching the team get destroyed, and it's been said numerous times.. People want to see them compete, work hard. If they lose while competing this year, then I can happily turn off the TV after watching the game.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The root of this thread is based on asking where ones heart lies in regards to Leafs draft picks in the 2016 draft.

For determining that its easy for me to know where my loyalties lie.

First, I'm hoping the Pens are the last team in and the first team out of the playoffs, thus giving the Leafs a pick as close to #16 overall in 2016 as possible by this result. The fact that the mighty goal scorer Phil Kessel despite playing with 2 of the best centres in the world has been held off the goal scoring sheet in 35 of Pens 45 games ,and doing very little to help Pens win is great towards achieving the highest pick possible for my Leafs.

Secondly, its about knowing and accepting for years that due to past mismanagement that the Leafs are a very poor team and lacking talent. So I feel sorry for Babcock as he is doing the best he can despite being provided very little on the roster to help him win. So I'm cheering for Babs, appreciating the jobs he is doing trying to turn this around and thus simply allowing the final cards to fall where them might based on accepting the reality of the situation in regards to our own draft pick outcome.

So all in all things are going as expected for me as far as cheering for wins goes.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The root of this thread is based on asking where ones heart lies in regards to Leafs draft picks in the 2016 draft.

For determining that its easy for me to know where my loyalties lie.

First, I'm hoping the Pens are the last team in and the first team out of the playoffs, thus giving the Leafs a pick as close to #16 overall in 2016 as possible by this result. The fact that the mighty goal scorer Phil Kessel despite playing with 2 of the best centres in the world has been held off the goal scoring sheet in 35 of Pens 45 games ,and doing very little to help Pens win is great towards achieving the highest pick possible for my Leafs.

Secondly, its about knowing and accepting for years that due to past mismanagement that the Leafs are a very poor team and lacking talent. So I feel sorry for Babcock as he is doing the best he can despite being provided very little on the roster to help him win. So I'm cheering for Babs, appreciating the jobs he is doing trying to turn this around and thus simply allowing the final cards to fall where them might based on accepting the reality of the situation in regards to our own draft pick outcome.

So all in all things are going as expected for me as far as cheering for wins goes.

Absurd. I can't imagine any Leaf fan not wanting them to have the best pick possible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad