Leafs fans: are you cheering for wins or losses?

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Losses. Finishing last gives us the best opportunity to draft first overall. High picks are the only way teams can get the players that are required to build championship caliber teams. The salary cap is a ****** system for this reason.

Agreed, I just want to pick in the top 6 to get one of Matthews, Laine Puljujarvi, Chychrun, Tkachuk, or Nylander. If we finish 7th last and then drop to picking 8th or 9th, that would feel like a disaster.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
What the tanksters fail to notice is that this year the "bottom" of the NHL isn't an actual bottom.

With our games in hand, we are potentially only 2 wins out of a playoff berth.

And CBJ are in a similar boat.

If you just look at the standings, sure, the team is at the bottom, but this isn't like last year where we were mathematically out by February.

The gap between 1st overall and last is extremely small this year compared to previous years.

The tanksters just look at the standings and fantasize over Matthews and don't see the reality of the situation.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
What the tanksters fail to notice is that this year the "bottom" of the NHL isn't an actual bottom.

If you just look at the standings, sure, the team is at the bottom, but this isn't like last year where we were mathematically out by February.

The gap between 1st overall and last is extremely small this year compared to previous years.

The tanksters just look at the standings and fantasize over Matthews and don't see the reality of the situation.

No, you're the one that does not see the reality of the situation. This is not a good team. Who the hell deluded themselves into thinking this is a playoff bubble team? Some people can't accept the fact that this team is nowhere near good enough to compete for the playoffs. Where they are now is where they likely will be after game 82. Potentially 2 wins away from a playoff berth? Major LOL!

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON

Even with Babcock, I don't see how we can possibly leapfrog enough teams to make the playoffs with the players we have on our roster. It's easy to look at the standings and say "hey, we're only x points out of a playoff spot with x games in hand!", but so are about six other teams that are far superior to us on paper. At this point, I would much rather finish bottom three in the league to guarantee a top 6 pick.

AngryScotsman

Feb 17, 2013
Northern Ontario
Win or lose I just want to see the buds playing well. I don't mind losing this season so long as it was a good game. Will never be content being blown out, last place or not.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I don't cheer when we lose, and I enjoy the wins. However, I'm not upset when do lose.

What I enjoy, is the team structure, and that some of the players that I think are the future of the team, are gradually improving as players. I'm enjoying the success of our prospects in the minors.

Ultimately the best thing for this team, is more high quality prospects, through the draft. That is what we need to succeed long term. So... a poor record is best... but the individual losses I cannot cheer for.

And yes, I am still watching at least parts of most of the games.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Losses - I'm a big picture guy.

Although if Rielly is the reason we won because of a 1-2 point night, I'm not as cranky.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I'm indifferent, but very satisfied when they lose. I enjoy being entertained, seeing some good individual performances by some of the younger players, a more succinct style of play / system, and the loss.

To the people that are cheering for them - what, exactly, are you cheering for? This roster has so few pieces that will be here in the next 3-5 years, that this team currently feels like a bunch of mercenaries filling a stop-gap before they are moved elsewhere.

It's been so hard for me to feel connected with this team beyond a handful of players, because 90% of that roster is only here temporarily.

gtforepro

Feb 9, 2013
Toronto
NoDepositBonus.cc
I cheer for them to win every night, but I'm less upset with a loss keeping the big picture in mind. But this team really gives a **** every single game, so I can't root against them. We're a 3-game win-streak and 4 points out of the playoffs. :)

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I cheer for them to win every night, but I'm less upset with a loss keeping the big picture in mind. But this team really gives a **** every single game, so I can't root against them. We're a 3-game win-streak and 4 points out of the playoffs. :)

No we aren't.

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
For the most part I am cheering for losses. However some games are exception, like the recent Boston game

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
i dont cheer for a loss, yeah i enjoy increasing the % of getting #1
but am not going to flat out cheer for the team to lose

that's weird

i enjoy winning, and embrace bottoming out

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Don't see the point of cheering for losses.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Don't see the point of cheering for losses.

Right now I don't see the point in cheering for wins.

:laugh:

All I'm cheering for is quality hockey at this point. Being able to enjoy watching a Leaf game without getting worked up about the outcome - angry about losses or overjoyed about wins. It's more relaxing to just watch the games with the expectations set out this season

As much as I'd like a high draft pick: the standings are tight, the Leafs have games in hand, and it's too early to start watching final standings

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Right now I don't see the point in cheering for wins.

Losses right now are for the greater good, no doubt but it makes no sense to me to be disappointed when your Team wins. They will win or lose no matter which way you cheer.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Well, they're gonna lose the majority of the games whether we like it or not, so I figure I might as well cheer for them to win when I'm watching the games. I mean, no team finish 0-82-0.

This sums it up nicely for me.

I cannot cheer for them to lose, and I also want to see some key guys do well. How can you be mad if we win because Rielly had a 5 point night ?

The last couple weeks I will want losses but it's hard to be too worried. Our latest losing steak put us in the bottom 3 but we also have too many games in hand.

What I hate is the lottery. I was so relieved we did not lose ground last year (of course I wanted McDavid but I never believed we would win the lottery). I hate the uncertainty and the time between season end and the lottery to me is agonizing.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
I don't cheer for losses, but they don't disappoint me like they used to.

Conversely, I don't get as elated for wins.

In other words, indifferent. I just want to see effort.

BackHandShelf22

Apr 12, 2014
Indifferent. I'm just watching hockey this year because I love the game. When they score I cheer. When they lose I shrug my shoulders and put a coin in the tank jar. Meh. I still like seeing them score goals and win games. You need those every once in a while. But I recognize they're not going to be very good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad