Leafs fans: are you cheering for wins or losses?

bobbyflex

Feb 26, 2010
Toronto, ON
Whether your cheer to win or lose it has no effect on the actual result. So might as well cheer for them to win.

Whatever happens, happens

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Whether your cheer to win or lose it has no effect on the actual result. So might as well cheer for them to win.

Right now I feel like cheering for wins is like cheering for a worse future. Plus, I don't feel any connection to this team right now. This roster is filled with junk.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
I mostly am just cheering for fun, competitive hockey and for our core guys to be playing well.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

No doubt. People put way too much thought into whether they should cheer or not when it's irrelevant anyway.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
We are not going to make the playoff, so what difference does it make if we have few more wins (but these wins could cost you a better pick / prospect)

LighthouseKeepr

Jun 11, 2015
Outside Moncton, NB
I voted indifferent:

As mentioned previously... this roster will not win many games and I can accept that as long as they are putting in the effort, which they have been doing most nights, unlike last season when they just couldn't bother.

On a side note... we all know the type of luck this organization has had in the past so I am curious as to how "Tank Nation" is going to react when the Leafs finish 30th over all and lose the lottery?

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I voted indifferent:

As mentioned previously... this roster will not win many games and I can accept that as long as they are putting in the effort, which they have been doing most nights, unlike last season when they just couldn't bother.

On a side note... we all know the type of luck this organization has had in the past so I am curious as to how "Tank Nation" is going to react when the Leafs finish 30th over all and lose the lottery?

I believe every one is mentally prepared, finishing 30th does guarantee you a lottery

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
if that's how you feel, then it must be true that it's wrong to cheer against the Leafs, has a true Maple Leafs fan. Your gut should tell you that.

I think it's twisted to cheer against your team. Please spare me the explanations and rationalisations ... you should never cheer against your team. It's wrong.

Hey, I hope we win the lottery too. And I realize fully of that finishing lower in the standings gives us a better and better chance after that... But in the end, I am a fan of the team, so I cheer for the team. Every time. And if it's ever a situation like last year, the first time in my sport watching life that I've gone through it, & I honestly dislike my team: I just don't watch.

Could not have said it better. Totally agree.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
So when will the "tank" supporters actually cheer for wins? How many top drafts will be enough? Do they think this team will suddenly one day go from bottom five to top five?

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
So when will the "tank" supporters actually cheer for wins? How many top drafts will be enough? Do they think this team will suddenly one day go from bottom five to top five?

I agree with other people who say we are one blue chip prospect away from putting together a really solid core for the future. After that, I can still trust our management to add some key pieces through the draft, but given our position this year it seems like the best course of action is to finish near the basement and shoot for a complete stud.

I also agree with people saying that even as Leafs fans, we don't have any really connection to this team. Most of these guys have only been around for a year or two, and most of them will be gone by next year. They're wearing the blue and white but I don't think they strike the heartstrings of Leaf Nation in the way some of our teams have in the past. Outside of guys like Rielly, Gardiner, JVR, Kadri, who might be part of the team going forward, I don't feel any real ties to this roster.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto

I know you're being sarcastic, and trying to "prove" that cheering for losses is a bad idea, but most people have an answer to that question and it's either after this year or next.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix

Once the core of this team consists of Nylander, Marner, Reilly etc, and the likes of Dion, Lupul and Bozak are gone.

HarrisonFord

Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Once the core of this team consists of Nylander, Marner, Reilly etc, and the likes of Dion, Lupul and Bozak are gone.

I used to think that the rebuild needed Dion, Lupul and Bozak gone. Babcock has shown me that's not necessarily true. He's made Dion serviceable as a #2. Lupul is inconsistent, but at least is scoring better than last year. And Bozak has actually been good this year. He's actually on pace for 59pts this year

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I go into games hoping for losses, but I always want to see the team play well and I cheer when we score or win. I was hoping for Philly to win last night, but was thrilled when Hunwick scored. I'm a card carrying member of tank nation, but am still capable of enjoying wins when they happen.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Want them to lose but score a lot, if that makes sense lol. I constantly find myself cheering the most of the Leafs when they are down a couple, and I end up hoping that players like Rielly, Gardiner or Kadri get some points or set up some nice plays.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
I used to think that the rebuild needed Dion, Lupul and Bozak gone. Babcock has shown me that's not necessarily true. He's made Dion serviceable as a #2. Lupul is inconsistent, but at least is scoring better than last year. And Bozak has actually been good this year. He's actually on pace for 59pts this year

Agreed, but if we keep all of them it's not a rebuild. We can trade Bozak anytime and get good value. Lupul, we can trade in his final year for a pick at least. And Phaneuf is both too hard to trade for any decent return, and holding a spot in the lineup that we don't have any replacement for.

HarrisonFord

Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Agreed, but if we keep all of them it's not a rebuild. We can trade Bozak anytime and get good value. Lupul, we can trade in his final year for a pick at least. And Phaneuf is both too hard to trade for any decent return, and holding a spot in the lineup that we don't have any replacement for.

I think Lupul is the one who would need to be shipped out. He's not movable now, but once we are actually competing again (2 seasons) his contract will be expired anyways. As will Bozaks.

Actually it's really interesting to note the timeline of when we'll be competitive again and the contracts we've got that expire. In 2018-2019, the only contracts we have on the books at this point are Phaneuf and Gardiner. This management group will have full control over who is on the roster that season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad