Leafs fans: are you cheering for wins or losses?

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
I put indifferent, because I'm not team playoffs or team tank. I'm team proper asset management. Whatever it takes to achieve proper asset management, whether it's improved play from our rentals which leads to wins and more draft picks, or bad play all around which leads to better Matthews odds, I don't care as long as our assets are being managed well.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
If I'm watching the game I can't help but cheer when they score, but I want losses at the end of the day.

So sick of drafting out of the top 5 because of meaningless wins

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I want the Leafs to always do their best, and I will always cheer when they do that. but I want the ultimate success for this team, which means getting a favourable position to get the first crack at every round to gain us most pieces, so we can be aggressive in trading, signing, etc, and then - move towards the ultimate success which is a stanley cup.

so winning right now in 2016.... (shrug)

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I like to lose when we play hard and get beat fair and square. I like to win by the same token and hope we get a good draft pick at the same time.

I like seeing Reimer play like a starter. I like Dion bringing it. I like the team playing as a team and that they aren't giving up.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I am cheering for the process.
What exactly is the process? Is it winning? Drafting Matthews? 2-3 1st round picks? Finding a no. 1 center. Stockpiling picks at every position? Whatever is best for the team in the future. If you think Matt Hunwick scoring with 7 seconds left is best for the team, then by all means cheer for that. If you think losing 3/4 games in a row is best for the team, that's ok too. It doesn't make you good or evil. Whatever is best to get us to be a top team in the league year after year.

1AM

Jan 15, 2016
Atlantic Canada
Always wanting to win.

Understanding what we have, as a team

Makes losing acceptable, for now...

But, always wanting to win

Go Leafs Go

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'm not one that cheers for loses. I can see the big picture when loses happen but I'm not to throwing a fist pump when they lose or whatever.

So I guess you could say I'm indifferent because even when they win I'm not overly cheerful this year.

It would be nice for this team to play above expectations for once though. They are always at the average or below expectations... never above.

P0LiUM

Apr 16, 2012
Halifax
I can't understand cheering for a loss. If the team loses the majority of their games, and end up with a good pick, I can understand it. I'll tolerate losses while we're bad.

But cheering for a loss? That's just stupid. You aren't a fan of that team if you feel excited about them losing, and upset when they win.

I get that they need to be bad to be good, but being excited about it doesn't make sense as a fan of a team.

In my opinion.

BDizzle*

Jul 7, 2010
Ontario
I always cheer for a close game, where each team has some nice hits/saves/goals etc. Ideally in the third period I do cheer for the other team to pull ahead and get the W.

In the perfect world, every game would be like the one we had last night against Philidelphia...assuming we were on the opposite end of it - where the game winning goal was scored with 8 seconds left.

ToneBone03

Trust the Shanaplan
Dec 11, 2008
Central Newfoundland
While I want us to get Matthews/Laine/Puljujarvi, I'm cheering for us to win games because I know the wins will be few and far between. I'm hoping our rentals will play well up to the deadline so we can maximize the returns we will receive...because once those guys go (Parenteau, Polak, etc.) we'll be hard-pressed to win a game.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Honestly, I feel like people just post this to make themselves feel like they're superior fans.

if that's how you feel, then it must be true that it's wrong to cheer against the Leafs, has a true Maple Leafs fan. Your gut should tell you that.

I think it's twisted to cheer against your team. Please spare me the explanations and rationalisations ... you should never cheer against your team. It's wrong.

Hey, I hope we win the lottery too. And I realize fully of that finishing lower in the standings gives us a better and better chance after that... But in the end, I am a fan of the team, so I cheer for the team. Every time. And if it's ever a situation like last year, the first time in my sport watching life that I've gone through it, & I honestly dislike my team: I just don't watch.

ToneBone03

Trust the Shanaplan
Dec 11, 2008
Central Newfoundland
The only problem is that you could finish dead last this year and wind up drafting 4th overall. New lottery system sucks.

Drafting 4th overall would be a little disappointing (although Chychrun/Tkachuk/Nylander are nice consolation prizes). As long as we end up picking in the top-3 spots I really don't care. Matthews/Laine/JP are all top notch and I feel they're all really close in terms of upside TBH.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
It is a really weird season to watch games, because they have made the team so likable with Babcock getting his claws into the lineup and the whole Leaf Blueprint episodes. Whereas last year many of the same players were on the verge of being chased out of town.

I find myself rooting for them to win when they play the teams at the top of the standings, but hoping they lose when they play the teams that they are neck and neck with, or that are below them in the standings, if that makes any sense. The games against the EDM or CLB of the world are too important for draft position to win.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Drafting 4th overall would be a little disappointing (although Chychrun/Tkachuk/Nylander are nice consolation prizes). As long as we end up picking in the top-3 spots I really don't care. Matthews/Laine/JP are all top notch and I feel they're all really close in terms of upside TBH.

The way they talk in the media, they make it seem Mathews is end all be all though. I agree its a lot closer than people think.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
I voted for indifferent. I can't actively cheer against my team but at the same time I'm completely ambivalent

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
My guess at the beginning of the season was that we would be around 5th last. That may be optimistic as we approach the TDL. So, I want us to win whenever we can because I expect there will still be enough games that we just "can't" win.

The draft lottery gods will slot us in our final position so I have no need to wish for a tank.

jamo27

Mar 24, 2007
I want to see signs of improvement.

At the end of the day, this team lacks the talent to win in the playoffs. It is going to end up at the bottom of the standings anyway and with the new lottery system, there is much more variability in who the Leafs will draft, no matter where they finish. And, it is very unlikely that one player is going to turn things around to the point that this team will win a Cup.

I watch to see what system is being implemented and if it is one that will lead to an eventual championship. If they lose a game, so be it. But I will not cheer for the team to lose.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Cheering for losses. However I don't mind wins if they're because of great performances from our young core pieces like Rielly and... uhhh... well... I guess just Rielly.

BorntoLose

Nov 4, 2014
indifferent. dont mind losses as long as the games are watchable and the team sticks around the bottom of the pack outside the mediocrity, and the Marlies look fantastic so theres that to buffer the rough patch.

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
Well structured, hard fought losses please.

I think this is our last year at the bottom of the standings - I'd like one more blue chipper to add to the stable before we start really building upwards.

GLobello

Dec 1, 2015
Losses. Finishing last gives us the best opportunity to draft first overall. High picks are the only way teams can get the players that are required to build championship caliber teams. The salary cap is a ****** system for this reason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad