Confirmed with Link: Leafs extend Keefe

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I am curious, how many more years do you think Edmonton should keep running McDavid/Draisaitl? They've had some insane failures and seem to be regressing.

Who should be traded? McDavid or Draisaitl?
McDavid and Drai show up in the playoffs to carry the rest of that sorry ass team, they aren't the problem.

Why has it only worked one year for this super unselfish forward group? They've been unselfish for so long, you'd think they'd have more than one year of success...
How many rounds have they won? Now how many has Toronto won?

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
McDavid and Drai show up in the playoffs to carry the rest of that sorry ass team, they aren't the problem.

How many rounds have they won? Now how many has Toronto won?

Don't deflect. Colorado has A LOT of years of failure. Got passed the second round once. You stated they succeeded that one year because they are unselfish... what happened the other years? Did their cap hit go up? Did they become unselfish for just that one year?

• Haha
Reactions: HolyCrap and JKG33

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Keefe getting his golden parachute up front.

I hope he got a raise too. In his mind he deserves it. Keefe probably thinks he's due a lifetime position after finally winning a playoff series.

I wish Shanahan was my boss.

Low standards for sure. But my boss has minimum expectations. If I fail to meet them I won't have a job anymore.

It's called accountability.

They failed not once, not twice, not even three times, but a incredible four times under Keefe. Lol.. the average NHL coaching tenure is 2.5 years. Keefe has been here twice that.

Only Cooper, Sullivan, Bednar, Brind'Amour, Berube, McLellan, and Smith have been with their current teams longer.

I have no idea how DJ Smith still has a job. That goes double for Keefe. He's not a coach for a cup contending team.

Paying him to go away is a pretty damn good idea if you ask me.

I remember when people were paid based on performance.

I am so old

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Don't deflect. Colorado has A LOT of years of failure. Got passed the second round once. You stated they succeeded that one year because they are unselfish... what happened the other years? Did their cap hit go up? Did they become unselfish for just that one year?
What about this Leafs team makes you think they can figure it out like the Avs did?

And shit I hate the Avs, but they were super injured this year so I don't blame them for disappointing in the playoffs. They've earned the benefit of the doubt. The Leafs sure as shit haven't.

Maybe Matthews and Marner mightve won something if they took fair market contracts after their ELCs like Landeskog and Mack did

The problem is the unprecedented failed experiment of half the cap on 4 forwards.

The higher ups won’t let that change. It doesn’t matter who the coach is. It’s an exceptionally flawed team design. The evidence is one playoff series win in 7 years.
Bring back Babcock. Or someone that'd hold the poor babies accountable.

Watching Mitch cry dealing with Babcock is more entertaining than his playoff performances

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I’m not a huge Keefe guy but this seems consistent with the plan of keeping him and has no material impact on his job security..

Would be interested to see him coach as his own man independent of Dubas collaboration. Have no idea what that looks like but have to assume the job security allows him to stand on his own two feet with more assertiveness when butting heads with star players.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Would this be fans that buy tickets, buy merch, watch on TV so that the networks can sell advertising so the league and teams can get a share of that pie. Are those the fans that have no skin in the game?
It doesnt affect the cap and everyone already knew he would start the season. I couldnt care less how they pay him.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
He was either gone or extended. We've known he wasn't going anywhere this year. Not sure why some are losing their shit. Oh wait...ya i do...*sniff*

Reactions: ACC1224

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I’m not a huge Keefe guy but this seems consistent with the plan of keeping him and has no material impact on his job security..

Would be interested to see him coach as his own man independent of Dubas collaboration. Have no idea what that looks like but have to assume the job security allows him to stand on his own two feet with more assertiveness when butting heads with star players.
My thoughts exactly.

Mentat

Sep 19, 2020
Why do all moves made so far, including extending Keefe, seem to be a deja vú?
If i was a betting man, i´d mortgage my house as to Shanahan still being the one to call the shots and Brad (as Dubas) having very little leeway in their GM role.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I hope he tries 10-8 this year and plays Marner 30 minutes against Ottawa in January.

I don’t mind the extension merely because it would be a distraction, but Keefe hasn’t convinced me he’s a good coach. Meh.

Reactions: fahad203

TheOne

Jun 15, 2023
Hoping this doesn’t mean Treliving believes in him, just wants to avoid any distractions during the year

Keefe gets outcoached consistently, he’s not the answer here
In the NHL app, there's a quote from Tre saying he believes in him. Get ready for more of the same 😑

• Wow
Reactions: PromisedLand

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

I don't have high hopes myself. My biggest issue with him was his ridiculous handling of Nylander. He should have given him more ice time and never taken him off PP1, I doubt Dubas had a hand in that.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
I was clamoring for a change but we have to admit he does have an exceptional record as a regular season coach 166W and 71L. He also does have them playing a defensive system that is greater than the sum of its parts. Let's see how he does without Dubas telling him to walk back comments about his stars (if that's indeed who told him to walk them back). But he has to grow as a coach as well.

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
yea thats not what I wanted to hear, oh well, if he succeeds so be it, but if he is shitting the bed, and a better option comes up, its the leafs, they will just fire him, and bring in his successor without an issue lol, deep pockets

TheOne

Jun 15, 2023
How Angry are Leaf’s fans ? A lot of people I talk to as Die Harrs wanted him fired
He ain't it. I don't hate him, I'm sure he's a great AHL coach, but in the NHL post season he routinely gets his lunch money stolen.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Keefe hasn't done well in the playoffs.
He's just not the ideal guy.

MLSE just wants stability so help LT sell his shares.

TheOne

Jun 15, 2023
He got Bobrovsky'ed. Coaches don't score for players as far as I know.

Funny how Paul Maurice of all coaches started to "outcoach" everyone, 1 game away from missing the playoffs entirely.
Ah yes, another leafs fan who fails to distinguish between the regular season and the post season. I'm sure you feel AM34 pay raise was justified for his regular season stats too...

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
Why do all moves made so far, including extending Keefe, seem to be a deja vú?
If i was a betting man, i´d mortgage my house as to Shanahan still being the one to call the shots and Brad (as Dubas) having very little leeway in their GM role.
Was thinking the same thing and I've wondered if Dubas also had some changes in mind that Shanahan didn't agree with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad