Confirmed with Link: Leafs extend Keefe

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011
Yes, running back the same team and same coach, but switching someone in the press box, that'll yield results.

People wanted Dubas to go for major changes.

The two most significant things that Treliving has done is sign Matthews to a contract that most are saying is too much money and too short and then bring back the coach that everyone thought Dubas would never fire.
"Most" have said that the money was less than what was predicted, and that the term was actually a good length because of Matthews injury history, to which I agree. He's now got 5 more years. If he can't lead this team to a cup in that time, then I have no problem if he walks. 12 years and no success? See ya...

Reactions: CabanaBoy5

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
"Most" have said that the money was less than what was predicted, and that the term was actually a good length because of Matthews injury history, to which I agree. He's now got 5 more years. If he can't lead this team to a cup in that time, then I have no problem if he walks. 12 years and no success? See ya...

You have not visited a lot of the threads on this board if you think most think that.

For the record, I agree with you.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Leafs don't want a repeat of Dubas last year. Only way to do that is hire a new coach or give Sheldon an extension. They clearly chose the latter.

Reactions: ACC1224

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Excellent, let’s give the guy who has been consistently out-coached in the playoffs by every single rival coach an extension because …. I honestly can’t think of ONE damn reason

Agreed.

This will be the same old crap as previous years.

I wonder how fat this guys waistline is gonna be this year, and then will sit there and talk about how so-and-so didn’t come into camp in shape.

What a stupid thing to say.

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
I can understand why they did it, but I'm not a huge fan of Keefe. He's not a bad coach, but if Brad Treliving was brought in to give a fresh set of eyes to the front office, then having a fresh set of eyes behind the bench seemed like the next logical step.

It's a two year deal, but I think that's probably a little deceiving. If they flounder this year in the postseason and we just get more of the same, I assume he's gonezo.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Keefe getting his golden parachute up front.

I hope he got a raise too. In his mind he deserves it. Keefe probably thinks he's due a lifetime position after finally winning a playoff series.

I wish Shanahan was my boss.

Low standards for sure. But my boss has minimum expectations. If I fail to meet them I won't have a job anymore.

It's called accountability.

They failed not once, not twice, not even three times, but a incredible four times under Keefe. Lol.. the average NHL coaching tenure is 2.5 years. Keefe has been here twice that.

Only Cooper, Sullivan, Bednar, Brind'Amour, Berube, McLellan, and Smith have been with their current teams longer.

I have no idea how DJ Smith still has a job. That goes double for Keefe. He's not a coach for a cup contending team.

Paying him to go away is a pretty damn good idea if you ask me.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Punch Imlach won four Stanley Cups. Keefe has won more? Damn - I missed them!

You clearly know what I am talking about.

Okay, the winningest coach of the last 20 years.

He performed better than Stanley Cup winning coaches.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
So basically we’re just running it back completely this season with the exception of Dubas leaving, who we actually wanted to keep anyway.

As someone said earlier, we sure do love rewarding failure and underperformance.

Reactions: ShaneFalco

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
I wish we hired Cassidy .

Keefe extended for two years? I would be baffled with one, the second year is Leafs signature.

Keefe part of the CORE 4 now. Nylander out,cap issues solved.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
You clearly know what I am talking about.

Okay, the winningest coach of the last 20 years.

He performed better than Stanley Cup winning coaches.
Ah - Leafs history is only 20 years? got it.

How can you say winning one round in five years is better than winning four Cups?

Reactions: PromisedLand

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Ah - Leafs history is only 20 years? got it.

How can you say winning one round in five years is better than winning four Cups?

What is hard to understand about this?

"Exactly. Re-signing the winningest coach in Leafs' history and the only one to take them past the 1st round in the last 20 years indicates that."

Clearly I am referring to winning in the regular season, I mentioned playoffs in the next portion of that sentence.

Does this need to be explained more?

It is so hard to have a conversation with someone who either lies about what you say or has a low level of comprehension.

Same shit core, same shit coach.

What's the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over yet expecting a different result.

It's the Colorado model, we just need to fluke into a top 3 D in the league and we will win the cup.

• Haha
Reactions: JKG33

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Hoping this doesn’t mean Treliving believes in him, just wants to avoid any distractions during the year

That's the way I take it.

1 year is a "no confidence" vote, which isn't good for anyone. 3 years would have Leafs Nation jumping off bridges and (see below).

2 years means if the team flops in the playoffs again, MLSE is only on the hook for another year. Of course, he may not make it that long. In any case, it's not a big payout.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
The Leafs must be the exception. Eerily consistent.

And most of those coaches get shown the door. Keefe's been given enough rope to hang himself three times over

I am curious, how many more years do you think Edmonton should keep running McDavid/Draisaitl? They've had some insane failures and seem to be regressing.

Who should be traded? McDavid or Draisaitl?

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
What is hard to understand about this?

"Exactly. Re-signing the winningest coach in Leafs' history and the only one to take them past the 1st round in the last 20 years indicates that."

Clearly I am referring to winning in the regular season, I mentioned playoffs in the next portion of that sentence.

Does this need to be explained more?

It is so hard to have a conversation with someone who either lies about what you say or has a low level of comprehension.

It's the Colorado model, we just need to fluke into a top 3 D in the league and we will win the cup.
Oh the irony of you complaining about someone else intentionally missing your point.

Yea, luck into a stud D and have a core group of forwards that aren't selfish pricks, take fair value contracts, and outperform those contracts in the playoffs.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Oh the irony of you complaining about someone else intentionally missing your point.

Yea, luck into a stud D and have a core group of forwards that aren't selfish :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:, take fair value contracts, and outperform those contracts in the playoffs.

Why has it only worked one year for this super unselfish forward group? They've been unselfish for so long, you'd think they'd have more than one year of success...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad