Confirmed with Link: Leafs extend Keefe

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
There is no salary cap for coaches, they can extend him for whatever terms and then fire him in November without worries.
This is the correct take. Fans have no skin in the game

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Everyone wanted Dubas and Keefe gone so this is a touch disappointing. I guess removing half the stench is better than nothing.

Yes, running back the same team and same coach, but switching someone in the press box, that'll yield results.

People wanted Dubas to go for major changes.

The two most significant things that Treliving has done is sign Matthews to a contract that most are saying is too much money and too short and then bring back the coach that everyone thought Dubas would never fire.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Just remembered cooper the year tampa had been swept in playoff, everyone wanted his head because they tought he was not the right guy to push tampa all the way... but they keep him and now considerate probably like best actual NHL coach...

When you want to change for the best, sometime youre just getting worst.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
This is just to counteract any media buzz and attention of him going into the season as a “lame duck”

He will be gone if they don’t have a deep playoff run.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
This is just to counteract any media buzz and attention of him going into the season as a “lame duck”

He will be gone if they don’t have a deep playoff run.

Source? Wasn't MLSE upset about paying Babcock so much for not coaching? Would seem weird that they'd be fine with just letting Keefe go if it doesn't work after signing him to an extension.

Remember the board is included in decisions, this was approved by them.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Source? Wasn't MLSE upset about paying Babcock so much for not coaching? Would seem weird that they'd be fine with just letting Keefe go if it doesn't work after signing him to an extension.

Remember the board is included in decisions, this was approved by them.
That’s because Babcock had over 4 years left at $6million USD a year.

Keefe would only have 2 years left after this season and was only making $2mill a year

Massive difference

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Just rubbing it in the fans' faces that they have no desire to take winning in the playoffs seriously at all.

Exactly. Re-signing the winningest coach in Leafs' history and the only one to take them past the 1st round in the last 20 years indicates that.

That’s because Babcock had over 4 years left at $6million USD.

Keefe would only have 2 years left after this season and was only making $2mill a year

Massive difference

So they are fine signing him and then cutting him loose months later? Do you have a source?

TMLisSRYinGerman

Aug 4, 2020
Why? Why was there any need to do this now? Why not wait and see how the season/playoffs go? I don't get it. Was there a team interested that wanted him and made a contract offer? If he fails again to go on a deep playoff run he'll be sacked and it will cost a lot of money. Completely unnecessary IMO!

Reactions: supermann_98

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Stupid Dubas, doesnt have the guys to fire his buddy.

In all honesty the multi year is a little surprising. I figure theyd extend for a year and can him after our regular slow start

Last edited:

Chief keefe

Sep 27, 2015
Mississauga
Keefe has done an amazing job with the team despite the lack of playoff success. He is an excellent coach. I think people will be pleasantly surprised by how he coaches this year compared to previous years without Dubas. He will call people out and won't back down. Keefe was held back and everyone will see that now. I do believe he will go down as one of the better coaches we ever had one day.

Reactions: Martin Skoula

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Like your ticket prices? This is part of the reason. I imagine if you saw what we pay the guys in the office it would further confirm.

Reactions: PromisedLand

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Everyone wanted Dubas and Keefe gone so this is a touch disappointing. I guess removing half the stench is better than nothing.
Everyone?

I wanted Kyle gone so that the organization can start the healing process.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad