Confirmed with Link: Leafs extend Keefe

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
What if the team under preforms and have a .500 record by US Thanksgiving, do you fire him if you're the GM?

My opinion doesn't matter, I don't think MLSE is extending him to fire him after what happened with Babcock.

Despite the Leafs having endless money, they still don't like wasting 10's of millions.

As for my opinion on it, it depends on how they are playing and the circumstances around why they are under .500.

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
How Angry are Leaf’s fans ? A lot of people I talk to as Die Harrs wanted him fired

Reactions: Al14

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I'm not a big fan of this.

I suppose mediocre coaches have had some playoff success in the past.

Mentat

Sep 19, 2020
Erm... I must be having a nightmare.
As good as Keefe has been in the regular season, he´s been little more than a disaster in the PO´s.
And we extend him on a multi-year deal?

/facepalm

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
How Angry are Leaf’s fans ? A lot of people I talk to as Die Harrs wanted him fired

The "die hards" wanted Dubas gone, Keefe fired, and the core changed.

And when you bring up something like "if the GM gave the coach a bunch of losers and no depth, don't you expect the coach to lose?", they'd just ignore it.

Sometimes people just need to find excuses when there aren't many.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Habs fan question for Leafs fans: Do you feel like he's demonstrated growth as a coach?

Keefe gets outcoached in every playoff series and the Leafs lose playoff series in the exact same way every time under him. Besides that, the man displayed clear favouritism towards players that frankly didn’t deserve or earn such loyalty.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Keefe gets outcoached in every playoff series and the Leafs lose playoff series in the exact same way every time under him. Besides that, the man displayed clear favouritism towards players that frankly didn’t deserve or earn such loyalty.

So Dubas gave him the tools, but Keefe couldn't coach the team?

Seems like we fired the wrong person.

Reactions: danny90

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
The more decisions that go by the more I wonder how much of our team is Dubas vs Shanny.

People clown on Dubas for all the "moves he made" but he is gone and with Shanny at the helm the decision points have been "keep everything the way it is"....

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Every coach in the NHL has biases for (or against) players that fans disagree with, it's not anything unique to Keefe at all

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Never understood why there is always so much controversy surrounding bringing your coach into the final year of their deal. It makes no sense to me.

What do we owe Sheldon at this point? Does he deserve to feel secure? It really does not make any sense to me.

I am by no means suggesting Sheldon is a bad coach, but I just don't understand the logic in extending him. Especially from Brad's POV. You've barely worked with the guy, and you really don't know how it's going to all shake out in season.

That said, Brad does seem to be a guy who does his due diligence, and he also seems to value face to face interaction and relationship's that extend beyond the game. All of which are very important in deciding who you want to employ. I am going to trust this decision because I do not think this happens without Brad consulting the players, specifically Auston, about how much confidence he has in the coach. Secondly, this is never going to be a signing that bites us in the ass anyways. It is literally just money. Of which MLSE has plenty of. This does not mean Sheldon is beyond termination at any point in time.

So at the end of the day, it's really not a big deal IMO. I just morally find it confusing how Sheldon is rewarded with financial security when he has played a part in this train wreck for his entire tenure. Albeit a much smaller part than the players themselves IMO

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
I am sure MLSE is thinking "ya, just extend him, who cares if he gets fired, we will just pay him" after the whole Babcock thing.
This. No down side for anyone other then MLSE being on the hook for paying Keefe to not coach, shouldn’t bother any of us.
What if the team under perform and have a .500 record by US Thanksgiving, do you fire him if you're the GM?
Yes.

Reactions: LeafSteel

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland