Confirmed with Link: Leafs extend Keefe

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Does he still have them in a Wild Card spot?
Yes, the bottom half of the east is pretty bad.

I never understood the extension. I did not think he would be back this season, especially keeping the core intact, but I was okay with it.

It is looking more and more like a move is going to have to happen. Don't know if it is worth doing it in-season, since as almost all posters comment on here, this team is going nowhere regardless.

Reactions: BallardEra

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
How many goals does this team give up by trying to do no look touch passes on their defensive zone? Wasn't it Rielly yesterday that instead of firing it out, did a touch pass to where a Leaf "should be" but it was picked off? Just fuc$$ing clear it. Especially when there is only 3 mins left for a point against a team in the same conference. Jesus.

No discipline on this team at all.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
“we got more respect in the handshake line”

He should be fired just for thinking that actually matters.

How many goals does this team give up by trying to do no look touch passes on their defensive zone? Wasn't it Rielly yesterday that instead of firing it out, did a touch pass to where a Leaf "should be" but it was picked off? Just fuc$$ing clear it. Especially when there is only 3 mins left for a point against a team in the same conference. Jesus.

No discipline on this team at all.

Dude get over it; they got respect in the handshake line.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
He should be fired now.

They prefer to waste the year, unfortunately. Keefe has been the longest interim coach in history. Blowing the window of the most expensive core in the NHL.

The Leafs have been slow to react ever since Dubas took over and piped off about how he learned from Lou that when you have time you use it (during the Nylander negotiations.)

The players have some significant issues, but the fact this loser is still behind the bench is mind boggling. Let him go and talk about handshake lines somewhere else.

People were saying Edmonton and Toronto had similar issues and their coaching change seems to have worked out quite well.

Reactions: Duffman955

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
The important thing isn’t winning or losing guys, the important thing is Brad’s job security. That’s why we need to Keefe for this year (and part of next year) to keep a coaching change or two as bullets in the chamber to protect Bradley’s job until 2028, maybe 2030.

Reactions: Antropovsky

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
He should be fired just for thinking that actually matters.

Dude get over it; they got respect in the handshake line.
Yep... What an honor to be respected by the opponent in a handshake line in the first round. I wonder if Keefe has a trophy case with a photo of that handshake line in it. Any chance a banner is raised saying "2022 handshake line winners" or maybe even considering putting up a statue of it outside.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The important thing isn’t winning or losing guys, the important thing is Brad’s job security. That’s why we need to Keefe for this year (and part of next year) to keep a coaching change or two as bullets in the chamber to protect Bradley’s job until 2028, maybe 2030.
You should add the sarcasm emoji or some might take this post seriously.

Reactions: andora

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I agree, keeping Keefe gives Tree a scapegoat. Maybe weren't any ideal coaches either.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I agree, keeping Keefe gives Tree a scapegoat. Maybe weren't any ideal coaches either.

This is not directed at you.

What in the heck is this scapegoat stuff I always hear about. Its nothing more than a media driven narrative I first heard years ago. No real owner would care about it but we have all these absolutely bizarre rationales.

I swear the mentality projected in this league is as strange as it is in politics etc. To heck with rational, logical, reasonable expectations and demands. We are all going to have a freaking conversation about the conversation or meeting about the meeting and do nothing.

This team is so paranoid by optics that they suffer from analysis paralysis. If anyone thinks this bs without direction management group lead by a described politician is going to win anything, forget it.

Leafs nation is run by weasels snakes and incompetence.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
This is not directed at you.

What in the heck is this scapegoat stuff I always hear about. Its nothing more than a media driven narrative I first heard years ago. No real owner would care about it but we have all these absolutely bizarre rationales.

I swear the mentality projected in this league is as strange as it is in politics etc. To heck with rational, logical, reasonable expectations and demands. We are all going to have a freaking conversation about the conversation or meeting about the meeting and do nothing.

This team is so paranoid by optics that they suffer from analysis paralysis. If anyone thinks this bs without direction management group lead by a described politician is going to win anything, forget it.

Leafs nation is run by weasels snakes and incompetence.
I agree, but unless there is a definitive upgrade of a coach you really want. Might as well go with the coach you inherited, who had moderate success. If you hire a new coach and the team is worse than last year. Then your immediately compared to the previous gm in an unflattering light. We are already seeing it with the ufa picks.

Leafs98

Sep 26, 2007
I dont think they know who to fire at this point. Keefe keeps pointing out the dumb players in post games maybe he is the genius.

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
I love this team and want nothing more than for them to win it all. But this is clearly not the team to do it.

I hope we miss the playoffs and change rolls down right from the top to the bottom.

Shanny
Tre
Keefe
All Staff
Tavares
Marner
Anyone not on an ELC

Only pieces I'd want to keep are

xxx - Matthews - xxx
xxx - xxx - Willy (Cause we aint asking him to waive, even so who is taking that 11.5 lol)
Knies - Minten - Cowan
xxx - xxx - xxx

Rielly - xxx
McCabe- xxx
Benoit - Lilly

Woll

A couple other prospects, and our picks. Even then some of those guys can go (McCabe, Lilly) and I'd give zero f***s. Everyone else can f*** off. Come back hard in 2025-26 season with a 60% roster turnover and a completely new attitude. If the remaining guys can't change their attitude into winners then ship their asses too, Matthews included.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
“We played well enough to win” “we got more respect in the handshake line” Keefe really loves spewing out loser comments .
Especially, when you take part of a comment and present it a as a complete comment.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Keefe is making some tough comments, let’s see if he retracts it.

He is a dead man walking.
Maybe they will bring in Crawford as Asst. and promote Boucher to Coach.

That would be interesting.

Reactions: TMLAM34

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I agree, but unless there is a definitive upgrade of a coach you really want. Might as well go with the coach you inherited, who had moderate success. If you hire a new coach and the team is worse than last year. Then your immediately compared to the previous gm in an unflattering light. We are already seeing it with the ufa picks.

The point is the GM shouldn’t be worried about how flattering of a light he’s seen in or how safe his job is. He’s not coming into a team fresh out of a rebuild where it’s ok to spin your tires for a few years while the prospects develop and bad contracts expire. We needed a guy who could be Burke in Anaheim or Rutherford in Pittsburgh - the core is already there and in their prime, you need to find the right coach to make the core pieces click and make some surgical moves to fill the biggest needs decisively. If you’re afraid to take risks to be that guy, don’t take the job.

It’s clear Keefe + the core isn’t a winning combo, playing it safe so you could say “well at least we made the playoffs” is weak stuff. No one from Shanny down to Kampf has to hustle or push themselves to the limit, they have seemingly unlimited job security where their comfort is the only priority.

Reactions: Lauro and arso40

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
At this point it's become loser organization mentality. Clearly if the organization supports this attitude for so many years, well, it becomes their identity and it is their identity,
Yup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad