Confirmed with Link: Leafs extend Keefe

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
At this rate Keefe will become the longest tenured coach in Maple Leafs history
Honestly it’s very possible he’s here through next season as well, even if we have no playoff success once again, as we have a built in excuse of cap hell already.

Tre can really delay his clock starting to tick and it’s scary.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Honestly it’s very possible he’s here through next season as well, even if we have no playoff success once again, as we have a built in excuse of cap hell already.

I think once we hit 2028 or 2029 and the Matthews deal expires that’s when Tre can really start cooking, we need to be reasonable and let him assess what he has until then. Keefe should know that he’s on thin ice going into the 29-30 season, if he doesn’t win at least one round we should start thinking about maybe looking at other coaching options possibly.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

I think Keefe could (and should) be fired if the team steps back at all after this season ends (ex. by missing the playoffs or bowing out in the first round).

Reactions: TMLife17

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
I think Keefe could (and should) be fired if the team steps back at all after this season ends (ex. by missing the playoffs or bowing out in the first round).
Oh he should be dead and gone years ago but I see no reason for Tre to fire him after this playoffs if he didn’t after last. Just extends his own life.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Oh he should be dead and gone years ago but I see no reason for Tre to fire him after this playoffs if he didn’t after last. Just extends his own life.
Why fire Keefe after the team finally won that elusive playoff round though? OTOH, regression is something that's far different from improvement or stagnation.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Keefe's gotta go. Sloppy systems, inconsistent motivation on a consistent basis, frustration seeping in everywhere and the disciplinarian look doesn't suit him.

They do need a new voice but this team desperately needs a leader on the ice as well. They just seem to mope along and are so corporate and meh.. totally reflects the spoiled culture that has developed as well as mr roboto Tavares. Keefe tried to hold them accountable and was neutered by Shanahan (who is the root of all the problems). I think the big trouble is now that the culture is so prevalent it will take some scorched earth to remove. Still crossing my fingers and hoping they can go on a heater at the right time but this group loves to disappoint.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Why fire Keefe after the team finally won that elusive playoff round though? OTOH, regression is something that's far different from improvement or stagnation.

Outside of our NBA starting 5 not a lot of guys thrive under Keefe, especially in terms of secondary scoring. They kind of get churned up in that Leaf bottom 6, and it’s often poorly defined roles with no identities, no access to power play minutes.

3 of our highest drafted defensemen, Dermott, Sandin and Liljegren all seem to have similar issues stuck in neutral between being ineffective offensively, not particularly strong defensively and prone to big meltdowns.

For whatever flaws guys come to the Leafs with, doesn’t seem like Keefe is getting everything out of them.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
They do need a new voice but this team desperately needs a leader on the ice as well. They just seem to mope along and are so corporate and meh.. totally reflects the spoiled culture that has developed as well as mr roboto Tavares. Keefe tried to hold them accountable and was neutered by Shanahan (who is the root of all the problems). I think the big trouble is now that the culture is so prevalent it will take some scorched earth to remove. Still crossing my fingers and hoping they can go on a heater at the right time but this group loves to disappoint.

I guess you just hope they’re good citizens and team guys, and a brand new voice and outlook will unlock something different in them. Wasn’t so long ago that Winnipeg’s locker room was pure dysfunction. Remove one PLD, Wheeler and Bowness’ message comes through loud and clear.

Not that they’re even dysfunctional. It’s just stale.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Outside of our NBA starting 5 not a lot of guys thrive under Keefe, especially in terms of secondary scoring. They kind of get churned up in that Leaf bottom 6, and it’s often poorly defined roles with no identities, no access to power play minutes.

3 of our highest drafted defensemen, Dermott, Sandin and Liljegren all seem to have similar issues stuck in neutral between being ineffective offensively, not particularly strong defensively and prone to big meltdowns.

For whatever flaws guys come to the Leafs with, doesn’t seem like Keefe is getting everything out of them.
It's definitely alarming to witness what has or hasn't occurred with some of the team's support players thus far this season and fair to question if Keefe is getting the most out of them.

As for the defencemen, Dermott has yet to accomplish much after leaving the team; Sandin potentially excelling in the future could arguably be on Dubas (for trading him) as much as Keefe; Liljegren is both still here and a work in progress.

Reactions: arso40

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Honestly I think he needs to go his message isn’t getting thru and players are not excelling cause of him I would argue no one other than benoit is excelling and that’s not cause of him either players are not playing hard for him guys are not determined to succeed you can argue that it’s a personnel issue but we won’t know until he’s gone what it really is, what I do know is no one with the exception of knies and you can argue that he’s forced to play on the top line is above expectation lily should be in your top 4 by now gio shouldn’t be playing timmins should be given a legit shot Robertson should be in your top six based on stats we need a shake up and not a personnel one

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It's definitely alarming to witness what has or hasn't occurred with some of the team's support players thus far this season and fair to question if Keefe is getting the most out of them.

As for the defencemen, Dermott has yet to accomplish much after leaving the team; Sandin potentially excelling in the future could arguably be on Dubas (for trading him) as much as Keefe; Liljegren is both still here and a work in progress.

Also remember how the Leafs failed to get anything out of Alexander Barabanov and Mikko Lehtonen thanks to Keefe coaching. Seldom ice time, mixed with random promotions, then discard. It just seems like he'll use players impulsively, put them into positions they haven't earned and aren't ready for and then just punt them. Same thing with Robertson 1.0.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Keefe's gotta go. Sloppy systems, inconsistent motivation on a consistent basis, frustration seeping in everywhere and the disciplinarian look doesn't suit him.

He should have been replaced in December, to try and give a new coach a chance to see if they can do anything with this group. If the new coach couldn't get anything from them either, then it should be retool before next season. Will that happen, probably not, but it should. We should replace senior management, Shanahan down.... but that doesn't seem in the cards either.... a decade without the results we desire is enough.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Also remember how the Leafs failed to get anything out of Alexander Barabanov and Mikko Lehtonen thanks to Keefe coaching. Seldom ice time, mixed with random promotions, then discard. It just seems like he'll use players impulsively, put them into positions they haven't earned and aren't ready for and then just punt them. Same thing with Robertson 1.0.
Barabanov seems like a fair example for one that "got away" (a good player on a bad team in SJ that's still making the most out of his opportunities). Robertson has arguably been the best example on the current team of the start-and-stop push from Keefe. There hopefully exists somewhere a happy medium between rolling out the same combinations of lines and pairings ad nauseam and the kind of compare and contrast which can at times be reminiscent of a science experiment.

Sep 18, 2009
Sheldon Keefe is the only living person who has coached the Toronto Maple Leafs to a playoff series win.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Honestly I think he needs to go his message isn’t getting thru and players are not excelling cause of him I would argue no one other than benoit is excelling and that’s not cause of him either players are not playing hard for him guys are not determined to succeed you can argue that it’s a personnel issue but we won’t know until he’s gone what it really is, what I do know is no one with the exception of knies and you can argue that he’s forced to play on the top line is above expectation lily should be in your top 4 by now gio shouldn’t be playing timmins should be given a legit shot Robertson should be in your top six based on stats we need a shake up and not a personnel one

This was impressive. I feel dizzy after reading it though.

• Haha
Reactions: OddyOh and arso40

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

Isn’t it ironic that a American League calibre coach can’t coach American League calibre players, who would of figured………

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
i'm just happy they extended him so i don't have to constantly read how it's not his fault if the team performs poorly because he's a duck with a bad leg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad