Confirmed with Link: Leafs extend Keefe

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
In Toronto… not really. When Dave Keon is in the conversation for best player of all time… you haven’t had very many great players.

The franchise is over 100 years old and has never had a Norris Trophy. They just recently received their first legitimate Hart Trophy (Pratt won when half the league was in WWII, and Kennedy was a career achievement award). They haven’t won a legitimate Vezina Trophy (it used to be for lowest GAA, rather than voted). Who was their last scoring leader, Charlie Conacher in the 1930s?
Its pretty wild with our storied history and 13 cups we've only seen five 100 point seasons from a player, and only three players in total - one of them being Matty.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Its pretty wild with our storied history and 13 cups we've only seen five 100 point seasons from a player, and only three players in total - one of them being Matty.

100 points doesn’t always mean the same thing.

Gilmour’s 127 point season was good for 8th in the league, and 21 players scored 100+ points that season.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

Gilmour’s 127 point season was good for 8th in the league, and 21 players scored 100+ points that season.

True. But in '94 his 111 points was good for fourth in the league, and only 8 players hit the 100 point plateau that year.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021

Yeah and they were all on other teams is what I'm saying. I guess they didn't have 100 point players with shorter seasons through our cup winning years though.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Correct.

All 6 were prior to the award being voted on. Prior to 1982, the Vezina was awarded to the starting goalie of the team with the lowest GAA.

It was a team award handed to the starting goalie. For a time, it was handed to both goalies, oddly enough, thanks to the leafs. In 1965, Sawchuk won the award despite having the 4th best save percentage and 5th best GAA. The Leafs has the best GAA… because Johnny Bower led the league in both save percentage and GAA. Since Sawchuk played 36 games and Bower played 34, Sawchuk was considered the starting goalie and took the award. Sawchuk demanded that he share the award with Bower, and it became a shared award until it became a legitimate voted award in 1982.

There were times when the Leaf goalie may have won the Vezina had it been voted. Turk Broda in 1941 and 1948. Harry Lumley in 1954 and 1955. Johnny Bower in 1961.
That is very strange logic to use to falsely minimize past teams.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Yeah and they were all on other teams is what I'm saying. I guess they didn't have 100 point players with shorter seasons through our cup winning years though.

It’s not just point totals. How many leafs have been top 5 in points league wide?

Last edited:

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
It’s not minimizing the team, it’s appropriately assigning credit.
You don't think winning the Vezina has merit because it is based on actual numbers rather than being voted for?

I guess Matthews didn't deserve the Richard because it was awarded based on goals rather than votes?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Sheldon has the best winning percentage among Leafs coaches who have coached more than 10 games in a season. That’s still really impressive. Not really “opinion”

Keefe’s regular season coaching record is impressive in the way that Chris Osgood’s win totals were impressive for Detroit. He does some things well, has his flaws but you know the record is skewed because of a very talented roster that thrives in regular season play. It’s not like he’s Scotty Bowman every night.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
You don't think winning the Vezina has merit because it is based on actual numbers rather than being voted for?

I guess Matthews didn't deserve the Richard because it was awarded based on goals rather than votes?

The Vezina isn’t based on stats, BTW. That’s the Jennings. Which is kind of the companion trophy and no one cares about it.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Goals against is a team stat.
Not exclusively, and scoring isn't exclusively an individual stat.

The Vezina isn’t based on stats, BTW. That’s the Jennings. Which is kind of the companion trophy and no one cares about it.
I should have said 'had' rather than 'has'. We were talking about the six times Leafs goalies won it, which was long before the Jennings.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Not Keefe related but Spittin Chiclets just posted that one of the first things Babcock did getting to Columbus was ask the players to see their phones and go through their photos to see what kind of people they are. Starting with Captain Boone Jenner.

To think that there was still people defending Babcock. His antics are f***ed up and he obviously hasn't learned a thing.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Extending Keefe was terrible management.

I'm not saying firing Keefe is the answer to the problem. But I'm not not saying it either. It's bullshit to save the "fire the coach" bullet.

They're supposed to be doing everything they can to win.

Keeping Keefe is an insult to a fan base desperate for success. Ether they're stupid or they think we are. Likely both.

Well Momma didn't raise no sucker.

Ain't ain't a word. Cause ain't ain't in the dictionary. Gullible, however, IS a word.

I looked it up.

I'm not falling for the same thing again. The reason the results are the same every playoffs is because Keefe keeps making the same mistakes. Blaming the players for predictable ineffective systems ignores the real problem.

That's Keefe.

Just because every coach since Quinn has been garbage doesn't mean this one isn't too.

Reactions: Gilmour1996

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
I'm still thinking we need a new coach in here. Keefe just doesn't seem to be getting the best out of this roster. It's the same issues to start this season that it has been for years. Team looks disinterested for 50 mins and then turns it on for the last 10 when it is too late.

I think leafs nation had him on a short leash to begin the season already. If we don't start winning the close games by a quarter way through the season he should be gone.

Reactions: shaner8989

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I'm still thinking we need a new coach in here. Keefe just doesn't seem to be getting the best out of this roster. It's the same issues to start this season that it has been for years. Team looks disinterested for 50 mins and then turns it on for the last 10 when it is too late.

I think leafs nation had him on a short leash to begin the season already. If we don't start winning the close games by a quarter way through the season he should be gone.
Dude. Don't pull your punches! Just say it! You want Keefe fired.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Former Leaf Kris Versteeg highlighted this in his recent appearance on the JD Bunkis Podcast this week, stating that Keefe playing some of his depth guys between 10 and 11 minutes, you're simply not going to get the most out of them and you're going to put yourself in a position where only half the team is engaged.

"[Sheldon Keefe does not] trust any of [his] depth to play, and I've been looking at this - it's a recurring theme from last year, the year before... you need to get guys extended, trusted minutes to get them in the game. If you expect Max Domi to score with 11 minutes [on the ice], or Matthew Knies with 10-and-a-half minutes... it's not going to happen and you cannot trust guys to give everything in 10-and-a-half minutes and be offensively relied on. That's something I looked at right away was the ice time.

With that type of coaching, if you're going to lay the hammer on the top guys and not find these bottom guys extended minutes and you're going to take that philosophy, again, into the playoffs, it's going to be a hard one to win with."

Reactions: BallardEra

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Former Leaf Kris Versteeg highlighted this in his recent appearance on the JD Bunkis Podcast this week, stating that Keefe playing some of his depth guys between 10 and 11 minutes, you're simply not going to get the most out of them and you're going to put yourself in a position where only half the team is engaged.

"[Sheldon Keefe does not] trust any of [his] depth to play, and I've been looking at this - it's a recurring theme from last year, the year before
Our 7th-9th forwards played 14-15 minutes per game last year and the year before. It's not a recurring theme at all. Treliving just messed up our depth, despite taking from our defense and goaltending to allocate more money there.

Reactions: Gallagbi

alliuk12

Feb 1, 2011
Christ stop rubbing it in the only coach that looks asleep while talking to you f*** tml for bring him back to damn cheap to get a good coach one that can get the team up and ready to play 60 min or you sit in the box and that starts from matty right down to brodie

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Our 7th-9th forwards played 14-15 minutes per game last year and the year before. It's not a recurring theme at all. Treliving just messed up our depth, despite taking from our defense and goaltending to allocate more money there.
Ita tough to find minutes for bad defensive bottom 6.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
This might just be chalked up to an over reaction from tonight's game but it's a general feeling I've had for a while, even though I know "it's early".

There is too much carry over from previous teams that disappointed to this year's version of the Leafs.

Keefe is a big part of this feeling, I know people are going to point at the winning % etc but the same people will say this is a really talented team, shouldn't you be able to win the majority of your games with the roster we have?

Does anyone else feel the same? Is it fair to Keefe? Is it on the players? Are they both equally disappointing or are we still going to go with "It's early" ?

• Love
Reactions: mikeyz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad