Confirmed with Link: Leafs extend Keefe

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Fired by Shanny on Black Sunday when Carlton was the only remaining employee.
Yeah Pete was set up to take the fall, I just assumed he wasn't brought back. He was well compensated to take the loss.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
"When I look at coming in here, accountability would be a good word." (Treliving)

Keefe's status has gone from lame duck to sitting duck.

This whole concept of lame duck coach is so bizarre to me. Have you ever really thought about how stupid it is? To give an extension to a guy you're thinking about firing?

Like seriously, how much damage can this guy do?

He's a coach. His whole job is to win. So if he does everything he can to win then he's just doing his job.

He should've been doing that already.

His butt wouldn't be on the line if he was. Instead he keeps losing when it matters most. Nobody cares about a few more points than normal at the end of the regular season.

What the fans want is simple.

We want what we were promised. Playoffs success. Or we want accountability.

If I wanted to be entertained and not care about the results I'd watch wrestling.

Reactions: geo25

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Sheldon has the best winning percentage among Leafs coaches who have coached more than 10 games in a season. That’s still really impressive. Not really “opinion”

That is a fact with a BIG ASTERICKS next to it. He has perhaps the best two forwards to have ever played on the Leafs, sometimes you are just in the right place at the right time, ;)

I think Keefe is still a new coach, who has made some egregious mistakes, he's cutting his teeth at the NHL level. When far inferior teams make a series out of 5 or 7 games, against your team, who has far far superior talent... that is on the coach.

Just saw this posted by NHLNetwork

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
All coaches are lameducks in a sense as they're always the first non-roster remedy for a failing team.

I do not believe in putting coaches (and GMs) on one year notice for their jobs. If you think someone should be put on notice and given a year to prove himself then you might as well just fire him, I don't see the point. Otherwise it can turn into an incentive to take big risks, do irrational tinkering, burn future assets, stress his relationships with other members of the organization plus colleagues tend to distance themselves of someone in this situation.

Reactions: geo25

Taylor Halls Teeth

Jul 11, 2018
Edmonton
All coaches are lameducks in a sense as they're always the first non-roster remedy for a failing team.

I do not believe in putting coaches (and GMs) on one year notice for their jobs. If you think someone should be put on notice and given a year to prove himself then you might as well just fire him, I don't see the point. Otherwise it can turn into an incentive to take big risks, do irrational tinkering, burn future assets, stress his relationships with other members of the organization plus colleagues tend to distance themselves of someone in this situation.
I would love to be in trouble at work and have a whole year to get my shit together. There is an argument against a lame duck GM or Pres because they might make decisions for short term success just to survive. A coach can't really steer a club wrong that way. How can he hurt the club by reckless attempts to win at any costs? He should be doing that every game.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
The argument is usually more that players tune out a coach that’s a dead man walking because they don’t expect the relationship to continue anyways.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
That is a fact with a BIG ASTERICKS next to it. He has perhaps the best two forwards to have ever played on the Leafs, sometimes you are just in the right place at the right time, ;)

I think Keefe is still a new coach, who has made some egregious mistakes, he's cutting his teeth at the NHL level. When far inferior teams make a series out of 5 or 7 games, against your team, who has far far superior talent... that is on the coach.

Adam Schiff, really? Not only is your whole premise shit, so are your choices of memes.

I guess none of the other coaches ever had great players play for them??? :propeller

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I guess none of the other coaches ever had great players play for them??? :propeller

In Toronto… not really. When Dave Keon is in the conversation for best player of all time… you haven’t had very many great players.

The franchise is over 100 years old and has never had a Norris Trophy. They just recently received their first legitimate Hart Trophy (Pratt won when half the league was in WWII, and Kennedy was a career achievement award). They haven’t won a legitimate Vezina Trophy (it used to be for lowest GAA, rather than voted). Who was their last scoring leader, Charlie Conacher in the 1930s?

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Adam Schiff, really? Not only is your whole premise shit, so are your choices of memes.

You have an issue with law and justice ... aren't you special.

Go4soda

Dec 15, 2015
not much to see here. an MLSE 2-yr contract really means nothing. more like brad doesn’t see anything he likes in terms of a new coach, so they re-up keefe as a plan b. i don’t see this as a “commitment “ at all.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Sheldon has the best winning percentage among Leafs coaches who have coached more than 10 games in a season. That’s still really impressive. Not really “opinion”
Of the seven Leafs coaches who have coached 30 or more playoffs games, only Red Kelly has a worse record.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
In Toronto… not really. When Dave Keon is in the conversation for best player of all time… you haven’t had very many great players.

The franchise is over 100 years old and has never had a Norris Trophy. They just recently received their first legitimate Hart Trophy (Pratt won when half the league was in WWII, and Kennedy was a career achievement award). They haven’t won a legitimate Vezina Trophy (it used to be for lowest GAA, rather than voted). Who was their last scoring leader, Charlie Conacher in the 1930s?
Six Vezina Trophys by Leafs goalies, and none were legitimate?

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Six Vezina Trophys by Leafs goalies, and none were legitimate?

Correct.

All 6 were prior to the award being voted on. Prior to 1982, the Vezina was awarded to the starting goalie of the team with the lowest GAA.

It was a team award handed to the starting goalie. For a time, it was handed to both goalies, oddly enough, thanks to the leafs. In 1965, Sawchuk won the award despite having the 4th best save percentage and 5th best GAA. The Leafs has the best GAA… because Johnny Bower led the league in both save percentage and GAA. Since Sawchuk played 36 games and Bower played 34, Sawchuk was considered the starting goalie and took the award. Sawchuk demanded that he share the award with Bower, and it became a shared award until it became a legitimate voted award in 1982.

There were times when the Leaf goalie may have won the Vezina had it been voted. Turk Broda in 1941 and 1948. Harry Lumley in 1954 and 1955. Johnny Bower in 1961.

Reactions: LeafEgo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad