Pre-Game Talk: Leafs @ Columbus: Can we make it two in a row?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
That win against buffalo didn't prove anything. We played a much weaker opponent and kicked their ass. A win against Columbus and a win against Chicago (if a loss results, a valiant effort at least) is needed to prove that this team is committed to changing its old ways.

That showing against Boston was just embarrassing.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
That win against buffalo didn't prove anything. We played a much weaker opponent and kicked their ass. A win against Columbus and a win against Chicago (if a loss results, a valiant effort at least) is needed to prove that this team is committed to changing its old ways.

That showing against Boston was just embarrassing.

As I've said many times before my only hope for this season is to get the ball rolling on a proper rebuild. And if that means a terrible showing against either team to make management inch closer to blowing up the core than so be it.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Paul Hendrick @HennyTweets
David Booth was out for a skate on his own today. 1st time on ice in his recovery from a broken foot. Probably 3 weeks to go. #TMLtalk

Paul Hendrick @HennyTweets
Morgan Rielly steps onto practise ice no worse for wear following minor tweak yesterday. #TMLtalk

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
David Alter @dalter
#Leafs D at practice: Phaneuf-Franson, Rielly-Polak, Gardiner-Robidas #TMLtalk

Rob Longley @longleysunsport
Here at Thursday practice, #Leafs sticking with the lines that worked in Tuesday's shutout of the #Sabres

Those #Leafs lines are: Lupul-Kadri-Kessel, JVR-Bozak-Clarkson, Komarov-Santorelli-Winnik and a mashup 4th - Frattin-Holland-Panik-Ashton.

Also notable for David Clarkson - the shield protecting his broken orbital bone has been removed. #Leafs

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Columbus with their injuries are the type of team we need to beat if we want to be a playoff team. It's also a chance for this group to gain some confidence.

I feel like there are a number of short leashes on the coach, Nonis, and certain players. So floundering through the first 20 games could easily see some changes.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Rob Longley ‏@longleysunsport 21s21 seconds ago
Also notable for David Clarkson - the shield protecting his broken orbital bone has been removed. #Leafs

Not sure how to feel about this. I'm glad he's healing, but the masked Clarkson was much better.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
David Alter @dalter
#Leafs D at practice: Phaneuf-Franson, Rielly-Polak, Gardiner-Robidas #TMLtalk

hard to tell exactly what the pairings were last game but I believe these pairings here mean a (much deserved) promotion for Rielly.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
hard to tell exactly what the pairings were last game but I believe these pairings here mean a (much deserved) promotion for Rielly.

No word yet though, on bringing back Percy but it does look like a promotion for Rielly.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
No word yet though, on bringing back Percy but it does look like a promotion for Rielly.

Percy wasn't great his last couple of games, and he could use more AHL top-pair time anyways. He's great to have as an emergency injury fill in, though.

Robidas has to be better than he's been but he's still playing his way into gameshape.

I doubt we'll see any dman callups outside of injury anytime soon, and I agree with that decision.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB

Not sure how to feel about this. I'm glad he's healing, but the masked Clarkson was much better.

He should wear a Phantom of the Opera masque.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
yup it proved we can dominate one of the worst NHL teams ever assembled

Whoa là. Worst ever? Ferraro was on LeafsLunch the other days and did say that his Thrashers team was bad, possibly worse.

IMO, that Thrashers team had Ferraro on the top line, I think that is a worse team.

Buffalo has a lot of talented players who just don't have a team-first mentality.

They know the team is in rebuild mode and are just worried about making themselves look good and don't see that playing a team game will make everyone look good.

Wait, am I talking about Buffalo or the Leafs...?

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Percy wasn't great his last couple of games, and he could use more AHL top-pair time anyways. He's great to have as an emergency injury fill in, though.

Robidas has to be better than he's been but he's still playing his way into gameshape.

I doubt we'll see any dman callups outside of injury anytime soon, and I agree with that decision.

They were saying the other day that they may go with 7 defensemen when they go on their next road trip because the Marlies wouldn't be close enough to just make a quick call down the road and get one but you would think they would maybe have an extra D for practice, whether it's Percy or one of the other Marlie D, just so they wouldn't be totally lost, should they need to go in for an injured player.

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Columbus is ravaged by injuries including key top end players.

Columbus is a team that was in the playoffs last year and have a spot that might be available up for grabs.

Teams with playoff aspirations have to exploit this opporuntity to gain points off the Blue Jackets while they're facing adversity because of injuries.

However a wounded animal is always dangerous and Columbus can't be taken lightly because they will be putting up a fight.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

i agree. i don't know how to deal with "unmasked Clarkson"

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario
Whoa là. Worst ever? Ferraro was on LeafsLunch the other days and did say that his Thrashers team was bad, possibly worse.

IMO, that Thrashers team had Ferraro on the top line, I think that is a worse team.

Buffalo has a lot of talented players who just don't have a team-first mentality.

They know the team is in rebuild mode and are just worried about making themselves look good and don't see that playing a team game will make everyone look good.

Wait, am I talking about Buffalo or the Leafs...?

one of the worst teams ever

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Wait, am I talking about Buffalo or the Leafs...
?

I chuckled as I was reading your post unfold thinking the same thing and then reached the punch line at the end. :wg:

I heard that Ferraro interview the other day.. Also something else he said when asked if you were a UFA today and were about to sign a long-term deal would you pick Buffalo or Carolina or Toronto and Ray said he would sign with Buffalo, because while they are down now, knows their loaded with young talent and prospects and primed with lots of top picks in this next draft.. They will be a team on the upswing far quicker then the Leafs team on their current path.

frankthetank91

Jul 30, 2011
I'm scared Clarkson will return to normal unmasked, like Batman and Spiderman, the mask did him wonders.
Positives of game:
-Columbus is badly injured

Red flags for the game:
-Friday night game
-vs. Columbus
-Leafs never take advantage of disadvantaged/wounded teams. In fact they manage to play worse.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007

Open punching season on Clarkson has been reopened! :thumbu:

Start swinging opponents! We need someone to knock him, and his contract, right away from this team! :naughty: {Please note: I really don't want any harm to come to Clarkson!!! :shakehead}

All joking aside, I think that Clarkson has stepped up his play this season. I've actually been impressed by his efforts in the o-zone! He might be even better without that shield hindering his vision! Keep it coming David! :handclap:

AINEC*

AINEC
Jul 4, 2011
Columbus is banged up like no one else right now. Leafs need to capitalize on that. Just like the game in Buffalo this is another game they should be able to go in and win.

Emphasis on should.

Should.

Chicago will be the real test.

cbjgirl

Just thinking
Jan 19, 2006
about last summer.
CBJ have called up Gibbons and Collins. Foligno is participating in practice this morning. So we might have:

https://twitter.com/smitchcd/status/527842484697980928

Hartnell - Johansen - Atkinson
Foligno - Wennberg - Skille
Tropp - Chaput - Dano
Gibbons/Collins - Cracknell - Boll

D is up in the air too. They've been mixing pairs some and with Wiz out, I don't know...

Johnson, Savard, Murray, Tyutin, Prout and probably Erixon but could be Goulobef.

McElhinney in net with Forsberg as back-up.

Last edited:

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Michael Traikos @Michael_Traikos
#leafs Booth skated this morn. Said foot "doesn't feel good." Then cut off interview, saying "I have to put my skates in the oven"

James Mirtle @mirtle
Carlyle on David Booth: "He's a long ways away."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad