Pre-Game Talk: Leafs @ Columbus: Can we make it two in a row?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Last season Columbus swept us. (5-2, 6-0, 2-1).

and all the games were ooogly bad. And yes, :pcheer: we beat Buffalo - but I think if the Leafs lose against Columbus (who is struggling) and then get spanked by Chicago... kerpow.

I'm assuming that Reimer gets the start, so Bernier can face off against the Blackhawks. I wonder if the Leafs keep the same lines?

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
Didn't we get embarrassed by these guys the last 2 times we played them. I remember us having a horrific game in Columbus with their stupid cannon going off

Last year they beat us
5-2
6-0
2-1

Last edited:

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
This is a big test here ... Columbus is a hard working team, how the Leafs come out after that win last night will be an indicator of whether they're starting to turn a corner or if that one game was a fluke

Need a complete 3 periods in this one to have a shot at the win

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
Jackets are looking like a playoff threat already. Not liking the odds if I wanted to put all my vcash on Toronto

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Another game the Leafs should win but who knows which team will show up.

I hope they don't look past that game.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
you should the jackets have 9 guys injured 2 might MIGHT be back if we don absolutely BOMB this team there is a problem

Horton, Jenner, Letestu, Dubinsky, Foligno, Calvert, Anisimov, Wisniewski, Bobrovsky.

All injured

They've also lost 3 in a row ... Need to capitalize, but it won't be easy .. Hard working team that's killed the Leafs in recent memory

Ottawa just beat them 5-2

ALEXJD93

LOL
Dec 12, 2013
I really liked the way RC used his lineup against Buffalo. Even distribution of minutes, no forwards playing 20+ minutes, 4th line up around 9-10 minutes, better line combos.

Hopefully they can continue the way they played against Buffalo, possession hockey at its best.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I really liked the way RC used his lineup against Buffalo. Even distribution of minutes, no forwards playing 20+ minutes, 4th line up around 9-10 minutes, better line combos.

Hopefully they can continue the way they played against Buffalo, possession hockey at its best.

That is much easier to do when you're up and not chasing the game.

ALEXJD93

LOL
Dec 12, 2013
That is much easier to do when you're up and not chasing the game.

Sure it's easier, but good coaches find a way to do this consistently. This isn't a 4th line that RC should be afraid to throw out even if were down.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Sure it's easier, but good coaches find a way to do this consistently. This isn't a 4th line that RC should be afraid to throw out even if were down.

Good Coaches have Teams that are usually up in games.

Agreed though, they need to play 4 lines more often.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Based on last season, this will be a tough game. Ryan Johansen despite missing training camp is on a tear of 12 points in 9 games. Not bad for a 22 year old Center. What a player.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Predicting 4-1 Leafs loss. I don't care how many injuries they have we're gonna get beat.

ALEXJD93

LOL
Dec 12, 2013
Good Coaches have Teams that are usually up in games.

Agreed though, they need to play 4 lines more often.

Haha yes, also true. I'll use Detroit as an example from last year. Squeaked into the playoffs so you can't say that they were up too frequently, but Babcock didn't let any player on his team average under 10 minutes.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20142DETSASALL&sort=avgTOIPerGame&viewName=summary

Heck even NYI found a way to get their 4th line out there, a team that was defiantly not up often.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20142NYISASALL&sort=avgTOIPerGame&viewName=summary

Many more examples. Bottom line is that Randy needs to get into the habit of using all 4 lines every game, he doesn't have any players like Orr who he should be scared to throw out there.

It will be even better once Booth is back, sit Frattin and this becomes a highly capable 4th line.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
Jackets are looking like a playoff threat already. Not liking the odds if I wanted to put all my vcash on Toronto

We're off to a better start than the Jackets. With their injuries we should be able to pick up a win. Of course thats if we play to our potential, which we seem to have issues doing a lot of the time.

I can confirm that I saw Bob put on the injury reserve.
http://bluejackets.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=736451

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Horton, Jenner, Letestu, Dubinsky, Foligno, Calvert, Anisimov, Wisniewski, Bobrovsky.

All injured

They've also lost 3 in a row ... Need to capitalize, but it won't be easy .. Hard working team that's killed the Leafs in recent memory

they can work as hard as they want but if JVR Kessel Lupul and Bozak don't tear them apart there are issues

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Another game the Leafs should win but who knows which team will show up.

I hope they don't look past that game.

This game should show how well this team plays, if the effort used in last nights game is the same, we should have a shot at winning and then we can worry about playing the Blackhawks on Saturday and as you said, one game at a time.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

All injured

Keep in mind despite these injuries they still managed 36 shots on goal against the Sens and the score was tied at 2 going into the 3rd. Ottawa busted out for 3 goals.
This is a team we are fighting with for the Wild Card. Buffalo is over. It's back to the NHL.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Predicting 4-1 Leafs loss. I don't care how many injuries they have we're gonna get beat.

I don't have much confidence with our current core, so, despite the win last night, I expect a loss in this one. :help:

Colour me surprised should they somehow pull off two wins in a row! ;)

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
I don't have much confidence with our current core, so, despite the win last night, I expect a loss in this one. :help:

Colour me surprised should they somehow pull off two wins in a row! ;)

And then obliterate the Hawks 7-3 like we did last year :laugh:. Nothing would surprise me anymore.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario

Something tells me the only reason line four got minutes was because we were severely outclassing Buffalo, against a solid team like the Blackhawks I think Randy goes back to his old "only top nine get quality ice time" thinking.

ALEXJD93

LOL
Dec 12, 2013
Something tells me the only reason line four got minutes was because we were severely outclassing Buffalo, against a solid team like the Blackhawks I think Randy goes back to his old "only top nine get quality ice time" thinking.

Yep, highly possible. That certainly won't impress management though, I still think Percy was sent down to take away the 7 D option from RC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad