Confirmed with Link: Leaf scout Lindsay Hofford charged

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Mocking Daisy's sensitivity to drunk driving is extremely callous...you should be ashamed of your post.

Comparing a drunken joyride in a golf cart in a park to someone who drunkenly gets behind the wheel of a car/truck and puts lives in danger, lends itself to mockery.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
One would not put their personal opinion on a public forum if they were overly sensitive about it.

You're seriously defending your post by placing the blame on Daisy? WOW.. I didn't think you could get less compassionate towards her life experience but you did... bravo.

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
He'll lose his license for a year and will have to take the bus between cities unless he can afford to pay an assistant to drive him around. The law doesn't differentiate between driving impaired in a car, truck, go-cart, boat, 3 wheel vehicle, or a golf cart.

Life is going to suck for him but he has to pay for a stupid decision he made. I don't think he'll get fired for this.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
He'll lose his license for a year and will have to take the bus between cities unless he can afford to pay an assistant to drive him around. The law doesn't differentiate between driving impaired in a car, truck, go-cart, boat, 3 wheel vehicle, or a golf cart.

Life is going to suck for him but he has to pay for a stupid decision he made. I don't think he'll get fired for this.

I will be very surprised if he's not fired. If he remains that will be a pretty good indication of how much power Hunter has. I'd bet it's not as great as another.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Comparing a drunken joyride in a golf cart in a park to someone who drunkenly gets behind the wheel of a car/truck and puts lives in danger, lends itself to mockery.

Driving a motor vehicle over the legal limit is illegal in Canada, no matter if its a lawnmower, ATV, car, motorbike, mo/ped, there is no line you can draw that any one mode of transport is less illegal because it might go slower.

If he drove his car at 5pmh and the golf cart at 15mph, is driving the car any less illegal? or is it more dangerous because its a car. No.

Mocking someone because they have a strong reaction to people who DUI is callous and disgusting. Every decent human should have a strong reaction to people who DUI, no matter the circumstance.

Who's to say driving a golf cart drunk does not put a life in danger?

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
I will be very surprised if he's not fired. If he remains that will be a pretty good indication of how much power Hunter has. I'd bet it's not as great as another.

Getting fired is pretty harsh. I could see perhaps a suspension.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Getting fired is pretty harsh. I could see perhaps a suspension.

Pretty sure he violated MLSE personal conduct clause that is in every contract they hand out.

I don't see it as harsh at all, I see it as him violating his contract.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton

Thousands of people get charged with DUI a year... do you think each of them should be laid off?

I'm going to play devils advocate to your post.

Operating a motor vehicle while impaired is illegal, he broke the law, simple as that. heck there was guy not far from here that was arrested for DUI for driving a lawnmower while under the influence.

Not sure your point here... Are you suggesting anyone that breaks the law should be laid off...? I certainly hope you've never J-walked before ;)

You could say that the situation was not life threatening because no one was hurt so big whoop right? What if the next time the situation changes and someone is hurt, for example a small child in that parking runs out from between 2 parked cars and he hits the child? Is it a big deal then? He's still drunk, still driving a golf cart.

In my area ATVing is a big sport, so is drinking and driving while ATVing. I actually haven't been out for a few years simply because after trying to speak some common sense, people don't listen and the last thing I want to see is a friend wrap himself/herself around a tree because they had one too many drinks, so I dont drive now. They have the same attitude as the "its only a golf cart" crowd.

Different people drive differently while drunk/impaired. Some are taught to slow down... some are wreckless. Regardless, you're created a case-scenerio in which is irrelevant to this Hofford case. A child didn't get hit, and there is no indication that any life was threatened.... period.

I wouldn't peg all drunk ATVers and all drunk golf-carters as the same crowd.... Like I mentioned before, some impaired drivers are actually more cautious than when they'd be sober... so I wouldn't paint everyone under the same brush.

The issue is not the 100 times someone drives a golf cart and nothing happens, its the one time someone is severely hurt because of DUI is the issue. Unfortunately no one can predict the future so you don't know when that "one time" is going to happen. So be smart and know when you are past your limit and don't DUI, its simply being a decent human being and considering the well being of others.

No... the Issue is people trying to make an issue when there isn't one. Again, I'm not advocating drunk driving, but not every case is the same.

BillyD

JUST WIN BABY
Jun 23, 2009
Driving a motor vehicle over the legal limit is illegal in Canada, no matter if its a lawnmower, ATV, car, motorbike, mo/ped, there is no line you can draw that any one mode of transport is less illegal because it might go slower.

If he drove his car at 5pmh and the golf cart at 15mph, is driving the car any less illegal? or is it more dangerous because its a car. No.

Mocking someone because they have a strong reaction to people who DUI is callous and disgusting. Every decent human should have a strong reaction to people who DUI, no matter the circumstance.

Who's to say driving a golf cart drunk does not put a life in danger?

FYI: the average weight of a car today is 4,000 lbs. The average weight of a golf cart is 800 lbs.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Thousands of people get charged with DUI a year... do you think each of them should be laid off?

Not sure your point here... Are you suggesting anyone that breaks the law should be laid off...? I certainly hope you've never J-walked before ;)

Different people drive differently while drunk/impaired. Some are taught to slow down... some are wreckless. Regardless, you're created a case-scenerio in which is irrelevant to this Hofford case. A child didn't get hit, and there is no indication that any life was threatened.... period.

I wouldn't peg all drunk ATVers and all drunk golf-carters as the same crowd.... Like I mentioned before, some impaired drivers are actually more cautious than when they'd be sober... so I wouldn't paint everyone under the same brush.

No... the Issue is people trying to make an issue when there isn't one. Again, I'm not advocating drunk driving, but not every case is the same.

I'm suggesting anyone who breaks their contract with their employer should be fired, absolutely.

You're taking the no harm no foul approach? So in your opinion should DUI only be a crime if you cause harm to someone?

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
i'm curious how many people would be all "who cares, keep scouting" if it WAS a car and drove into something like, oh I dunno, a tim horton's drivethru window or something.

Oh come on. You don't see the difference between getting drunk and driving on public roads and crashing into a restaurant and driving a golf cart around?

Nevermind that ROR took his lumps and nothing was ever done to him.

One would not put their personal opinion on a public forum if they were overly sensitive about it.

Seriously. People act like he just sacrificed children to Satan. He got drunk and drove around on a golf cart. Police are trained to press as many charges as applicable to increase the chance of conviction.

Considering he hasn't had a trail and everything at this point are allegations, there are a lot of comments verging on Libel in here.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I'm suggesting anyone who breaks their contract with their employer should be fired, absolutely.

You're taking the no harm no foul approach? So in your opinion should DUI only be a crime if you cause harm to someone?

If you can't tell the difference between someone leaving a bar and driving home drunk vs someone at home cutting their grass on a lawnmore drunk then IDK what to say.

Both are treated the same by the law, but are not even close to the same thing. It was a ****ing golfcart...

bluumax

Mar 7, 2008
There is ZERO chill in this thread right now.

Yes, he should resign/be relieved. No, it shouldn't be likened to driving a car/truck while impaired.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
If you can't tell the difference between someone leaving a bar and driving home drunk vs someone at home cutting their grass on a lawnmore drunk then IDK what to say.

Both are treated the same by the law, but are not even close to the same thing. It was a ****ing golfcart...

Hey dude, I get it no harm no foul, so you feel as long as you are lucky enough to break the law but not hurt someone, in your books you're OK with that. Is that a sliding scale of justice you prefer?

Hey I know a guy that has a 100lbs dog that likes to take dumps on peoples front law, I'll send him over to your house and the dog can take huge dumps on your lawn and your cool with that right? He's not hurting no one right? No harm no foul.

I never said I can't see the difference.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Seriously. People act like he just sacrificed children to Satan. He got drunk and drove around on a golf cart. Police are trained to press as many charges as applicable to increase the chance of conviction.

Considering he hasn't had a trial and everything at this point are allegations, there are a lot of comments verging on Libel in here.

I'm pretty sure there are some people here who have turned themselves into the police because they answered their phone while at a stop light or in a 1 hour traffic jam on the 401.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Hey dude, I get it no harm no foul, so you feel as long as you are lucky enough to break the law but not hurt someone, in your books you're OK with that. Is that a sliding scale of justice you prefer?

Hey I know a guy that has a 100lbs dog that likes to take dumps on peoples front law, I'll send him over to your house and the dog can take huge dumps on your lawn and your cool with that right? He's not hurting no one right? No harm no foul.

Its not luck at all... its not like he was driving in the middle of a city/populated area.

Are you saying a drunk driver, driving at 20 km/h on country roads is equal to a drunk driver driving 60 (or worse, 80) km/h in the city?

Strictly speaking, the law states they're the same... but in reality, one is much worse than the other.

And what are you even talking about RE: dog analogy?

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Agreed.

He should be updating his resume, as the potential for being dismissed does exist or perhaps suspended. A criminal charge would void an employee contract and give management just cause.

His hearing is Sept 21st, at which time he will enter a plea and face charges. Perhaps Leafs are waiting until he is found guilty.

I think the biggest issue would be as a role model to Shanny, Lou and company and setting a corporate example.. Then what if a prospect/player would face a DUI and then point to Hofford saying he did the same thing and didn't face punishment?.

The corporate message about acceptable behaviour would be more important then the incident itself here, based on how MLSE reacts, and a firing would send a clear signal of what is tolerable.

Last edited:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
There is a personal conduct clause in every MLSE contract, I have one with my company. ( I don't work for MLSE).

DUI would be one of those things that violates his personal conduct clause.

Bet you he retains his job haha. If you are good the clause means little to nothing at all. Perhaps if he was in a Lexus clipping a little old lady on the sidewalk or something. Golf cart joyride? Lou is probably having one right now.

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
Most hockey players spend a ton of time on the golf course in the off-season and I'm sure many of them have had a few wobbly pops while driving a golf cart. I've even heard stories of some players flipping carts etc. My point is that the hockey culture is different than an everyday business environment and Shanahan will likely be less severe with his scout in terms of punishment. I'll be surprised if he is fired but a suspension could happen in order to be politically correct for appearance sake.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Its not luck at all... He was golfing at a golf course... its not like he was driving in the middle of a city/populated area.

Are you saying a drunk driver, driving at 20 km/h on country roads is equal to a drunk driver driving 60 (or worse, 80) km/h in the city?

Strictly speaking, the law states they're the same... but in reality, one is much worse than the other.

And what are you even talking about RE: dog analogy?

Sure its luck, it stated he hit some vehicles and then took off, what if there were people standing in front of those vehicles and he hit them instead? If you are that drunk and you are playing bumper car's ... you'd have no clue if people are there or not.

Sigh.. its illegal, its that simple, if you want to play Judge Judy and assign shades of guilt depending on the circumstance, have-at-er.

I'll play your asinine game, are you saying a guy driving a pick up truck drunk going 20KM vs a guy going 20km drunk in a Civic is more at fault because the force behind a heavier vehicle is more?

BillyD

JUST WIN BABY
Jun 23, 2009

wow, haven't seen the old "hundred pound dog taking huge dumps on your front lawn" analogy used in awhile

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Agreed.

He should be updating his resume, as the potential for being dismissed does exist or perhaps suspended. A criminal charge would void an employee contract and give management just cause.

His hearing is Sept 21st, at which time he will enter a plea and face charges. Perhaps Leafs are waiting until he is found guilty.

I think the biggest issue would be as a role model to Shanny, Lou and company and setting a corporate example.. Then what if a prospect/player would face a DUI and then point to Hofford saying he did the same thing and didn't face punishment?.

The corporate message about acceptable behaviour would be more important then the incident itself here, based on how MLSE reacts, and a firing would send a clear signal of what is tolerable.

Guys like Hofford don't need a resume.
From my understanding he had to be convinced to take the job, he'll be upset at the cause of his dismissal(if he is canned) but not bothered that much by leaving.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
wow, haven't seen the old "hundred pound dog taking huge dumps on your front lawn" analogy used in awhile

I'll admit there was a lot of dust on that analogy.. ;)

The point remains the same no harm no foul, if it don't affect me why should I care right?:help:

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Most hockey players spend a ton of time on the golf course in the off-season and I'm sure many of them have had a few wobbly pops while driving a golf cart. I've even heard stories of some players flipping carts etc. My point is that the hockey culture is different than an everyday business environment and Shanahan will likely be less severe with his scout in terms of punishment. I'll be surprised if he is fired but a suspension could happen in order to be politically correct for appearance sake.

That scenario plays out at almost every Texas scramble fundraiser every summer, afew years back I saw a guy try to skim his cart across a pond cause he thought a crap tonne of beer in his belly could help his cart defy the laws of physics.:shakehead

He as wrong and he got charged too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad