Confirmed with Link: Leaf scout Lindsay Hofford charged

member 262271

i'm curious how many people would be all "who cares, keep scouting" if it WAS a car and drove into something like, oh I dunno, a tim horton's drivethru window or something.

If that was the case, he'd have to magically turn into a good NHL player to duck those charges.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
You probably should avoid golfing in most of Eastern Ontario if you are deeply offended by people drinking and operating a golf cart.

He wasn't drinking and operating a golf cart. He stole a golf cart, hit another vehicle and fled the scene. It's not like he had a few beers while playing 18 holes.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
He wasn't drinking and operating a golf cart. He stole a golf cart, hit another vehicle and fled the scene. It's not like he had a few beers while playing 18 holes.

It was definitely stupid on his part, but I don't think it's quite at the ruin his career/life level of punishment.

Just my opinion.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
You probably should avoid golfing in most of Eastern Ontario if you are deeply offended by people drinking and operating a golf cart.

i'm offended by people getting drunk and getting behind the wheel. I nearly lost my entire family to a drunk driver. Impaired driving in my v. humble opinion - should be something that should deeply offend anyone. .

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
Golf carts come in a wide range of formats and are more generally used to convey small numbers of passengers short distances at speeds less than 15 mph (24 km/h) per ANSI Standard z130.1 as originally manufactured.

watch otu for that speed demon

can we please stop comparing golf carts to cars. please? Hes a fool, but stop.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
just time to get a real job maybe ...at 53 I'm thinkin this isn't his first rodeo ...im sure the leafs will get him help .
but some parents might not like his association with their kids ,we ll see .
u cant fire him for this ,but he may lose his job when his contract is up .

There's no way any parent would be upset to be associated with the Toronto Maple Leafs

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
It was definitely stupid on his part, but I don't think it's quite at the ruin his career/life level of punishment.

Just my opinion.

Oh I agree with that, it was a dumb mistake but it shouldn't ruin his life. I just found the people acting like it was no big deal a little ridiculous. Most people haven't stolen a golf cart while drunk, got into an accident and fled the scene.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
i'm offended by people getting drunk and getting behind the wheel. I nearly lost my entire family to a drunk driver. Impaired driving in my v. humble opinion - should be something that should deeply offend anyone. .

I'm sorry to hear that. I've had it effect me personally as well, but there is a world of difference between an automobile and a golf cart.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

Just my opinion.

It's not the ruin of his career but routinely these type of charges carry a 1 year driving prohibition. Might be tough to have a driving prohibition being a scout.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I'm sorry to hear that. I've had it effect me personally as well, but there is a world of difference between an automobile and a golf cart.

Can you imagine if he had been flying an A380?

But I guess it wasn't an A380 or a car.

At least he wasn't texting or using his cell phone.

We really don't have many details on this, it was in a park, he was driving a golf cart and hit another golf cart? He didn't signal while driving on a road/trail/meadow/???

I'd say we can speculate he was drunk, but we don't know if it was a little or a lot.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Can you imagine if he had been flying an A380?

But I guess it wasn't an A380 or a car.

At least he wasn't texting or using his cell phone.

We really don't have many details on this, it was in a park, he was driving a golf cart and hit another golf cart? He didn't signal while driving on a road/trail/meadow/???

I'd say we can speculate he was drunk, but we don't know if it was a little or a lot.

Mocking Daisy's sensitivity to drunk driving is extremely callous...you should be ashamed of your post.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Maybe I'm getting too political here (mod feel free to delete if you feel necessary)...

Not all driving impared scenerios are the same...
Cars and Golf Carts are very different
Is the driver in a populated or unpopulated area?
Is the driver driving fast or slow...?
Is the driver very tired, on drugs, etc?
etc. etc.

Tired driving is even worse than drunk driving IMO.... I personally know of more vehicle related deaths due to sleeping at the wheel rather than DUIs...

20-30 years ago, it wasn't unheard of that cops would let drunk drivers drive home at night (but would lead them with sirens if cars were nearby). I suppose this was more common in rural settings...

I'm not advocating driving drunk, or doing stupid acts (fleeing scenes, etc)... I just think people should know the whole story before worrying, and realize that not all impaired driving instances are life threatening/the same.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Haha, right. So long as he did not put people in immediate danger. Who cares.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Maybe I'm getting too political here (mod feel free to delete if you feel necessary)...

Not all driving impared scenerios are the same...
Cars and Golf Carts are very different
Is the driver in a populated or unpopulated area?
Is the driver driving fast or slow...?
Is the driver very tired, on drugs, etc?
etc. etc.

Tired driving is even worse than drunk driving IMO.... I personally know of more vehicle related deaths due to sleeping at the wheel rather than DUIs...

20-30 years ago, it wasn't unheard of that cops would let drunk drivers drive home at night (but would lead them with sirens if cars were nearby). I suppose this was more common in rural settings...

I'm not advocating driving drunk, or doing stupid acts (fleeing scenes, etc)... I just think people should know the whole story before worrying, and realize that not all impaired driving instances are life threatening/the same.

I'm going to play devils advocate to your post.

Operating a motor vehicle while impaired is illegal, he broke the law, simple as that. heck there was guy not far from here that was arrested for DUI for driving a lawnmower while under the influence.

You could say that the situation was not life threatening because no one was hurt so big whoop right? What if the next time the situation changes and someone is hurt, for example a small child in that parking runs out from between 2 parked cars and he hits the child? Is it a big deal then? He's still drunk, still driving a golf cart.

In my area ATVing is a big sport, so is drinking and driving while ATVing. I actually haven't been out for a few years simply because after trying to speak some common sense, people don't listen and the last thing I want to see is a friend wrap himself/herself around a tree because they had one too many drinks, so I dont drive now. They have the same attitude as the "its only a golf cart" crowd.

The issue is not the 100 times someone drives a golf cart and nothing happens, its the one time someone is severely hurt because of DUI is the issue. Unfortunately no one can predict the future so you don't know when that "one time" is going to happen. So be smart and know when you are past your limit and don't DUI, its simply being a decent human being and considering the well being of others.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Operating a motor vehicle while impaired is illegal, he broke the law, simple as that. heck there was guy not far from here that was arrested for DUI for driving a lawnmower while under the influence.

You could say that the situation was not life threatening because no one was hurt so big whoop right? What if the next time the situation changes and someone is hurt, for example a small child in that parking runs out from between 2 parked cars and he hits the child? Is it a big deal then? He's still drunk, still driving a golf cart.

In my area ATVing is a big sport, so is drinking and driving while ATVing. I actually haven't been out for a few years simply because after trying to speak some common sense, people don't listen and the last thing I want to see is a friend wrap himself/herself around a tree because they had one too many drinks, so I dont drive now. They have the same attitude as the "its only a golf cart" crowd.

The issue is not the 100 times someone drives a golf cart and nothing happens, its the one time someone is severely hurt because of DUI is the issue. Unfortunately no one can predict the future so you don't know when that "one time" is going to happen. So be smart and know when you are past your limit and don't DUI, its simply being a decent human being and considering the well being of others.

Dangerous is dangerous. You can't do things that will likely harm people. If he harms himself he is an idiot. If he joy rides in a way that gets him charged, its on him but that doesn't change him at his place of work or my opinion of his body of work.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Dangerous is dangerous. You can't do things that will likely harm people. If he harms himself he is an idiot. If he joy rides in a way that gets him gets him charged, its on him but that doesn't change him at his place of work.

There is a personal conduct clause in every MLSE contract, I have one with my company. ( I don't work for MLSE).

DUI would be one of those things that violates his personal conduct clause.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
i'm curious how many people would be all "who cares, keep scouting" if it WAS a car and drove into something like, oh I dunno, a tim horton's drivethru window or something.

Now you're fabricating situations to prove a point. It's a little unfair and not at all comparable, to be honest.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

What if a small child runs out from between two cars and gets hit by someone who wasn't drinking?

I don't think anyone is saying what he did was in any shape or form good and he is guilty of the crimes he committed but he is not guilty of a whole bunch of things posters are putting forward here.

Saying what if he did this or did that is just nonsense because he didn't do those things.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad