Confirmed with Link: Leaf scout Lindsay Hofford charged

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
He stole a golf cart from an amusement park. Can we stop acting like he had a few too many beers while playing 18 holes. The drunk driving is bad but so is the theft. He's facing five different charges, this isn't remotely similar to taking a call in a bloody traffic jam.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Guys like Hofford don't need a resume.
From my understanding he had to be convinced to take the job, he'll be upset at the cause of his dismissal(if he is canned) but not bothered that much by leaving.

The resume point was made to reference a possible job loss expectation on his part as Leaf management decision. ;)

He already has a backup plan (or had).

Pro Hockey Development (Founder & CEO). (http://www.prohoc.com/page/show/660237-staff)

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
He stole a golf cart from an amusement park. Can we stop acting like he had a few too many beers while playing 18 holes. The drunk driving is bad but so is the theft. He's facing five different charges, this isn't remotely similar to taking a call in a bloody traffic jam.

OK that is different. I didn't know that he wasn't golfing...Stealing a cart and driving it on a public road is indeed a serious offense. Yes he could get fired if that is the case.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I'm pretty sure there are some people here who have turned themselves into the police because they answered their phone while at a stop light or in a 1 hour traffic jam on the 401.

Its called Bluetooth and you better hope you don't use your phone while driving in front of me because I will report your a$$.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Pro Hockey Development is who he is and what he is known for. Leaf job is more of a hobby.

He might be more nervous how his actions here impact that company of his.. Losing his $60k Leaf scouting job might be secondary.

If I'm a parent and know of this DUI and other charges & reputation now, I'd be very hesitant to send my kid to his hockey development school to have him instruct him.

In fact it would be a deal breaker, and I wouldn't and would find another resource and hockey school.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Thousands of people get charged with DUI a year... do you think each of them should be laid off?

Apparently punishing the offenders' family is crucial. Maybe we can also make them lose their homes and go deep into debt along with everything else. The revenge instinct in some people disturbs the heck out of me. If you seek revenge on total strangers, it's coming from the worst part of you.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
He might be more nervous how his actions here impact that company of his.. Losing his $60k Leaf scouting job might be secondary.

If I'm a parent and know of this DUI and other charges & reputation now, I'd be very hesitant to send my kid to his hockey development school to have him instruct him.

In fact it would be a deal breaker, and I wouldn't and would find another resource and hockey school.

Parents who would send their kids to any type of these "development schools" have aspirations of their kids playing A) Pro or B) NCAA. They will preform their due diligence before making such an important decision regardless of any charge.

I don't think as a hockey man this will do anything to his reputation, he's not Graham James here.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Apparently punishing the offenders' family is crucial. Maybe we can also make them lose their homes and go deep into debt along with everything else. The revenge instinct in some people disturbs the heck out of me. If you seek revenge on total strangers, it's coming from the worst part of you.

What I dislike is how our society likes to pin people into categories, as if there are only two (often extreme) sides to a position... not only that, they try to take their position/issue in their hands and feed it down the 'opposition's' throat...

Furthurmore, if you dare disagree with thier opinion, you're in the wrong and often case a hater... This is becoming more prevalent than ever, with the political divide we're seeing in the states...

At the end of the day, nobody is perfect, and nobody can achieve perfection... Like you, I don't understand why people hate on 'strangers' with limited information of them...

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

...or he broke a clause in his contract, I'm assuming he had a personal conduct clause with MLSE, its pretty standard for all sports entertainment companies and most large companies have them now. HE'S the one punishing his family by HIS choice of actions.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Parents who would send their kids to any type of these "development schools" have aspirations of their kids playing A) Pro or B) NCAA. They will preform their due diligence before making such an important decision regardless of any charge.

I don't think as a hockey man this will do anything to his reputation, he's not Graham James here.

I think more information will still come out here if this was an isolated issue or if there is any long-term alcoholism issue here behind this DUI.

For example if Leafs send him to a rehab clinic to get additional help than it would extend beyond this one situation. Perhaps the judge will order community service and even mandatory time in a clinic depending on the trial results.

It may not be Graham James, but if Hofford is picking up my kid and driving him along with the others to a hockey event and he has a known drinking problem and may be driving under the influence concerns parents would think twice, about putting their own kids in harms way. IMO

So his reputation now could effect future endeavors and his own business. He certainly didn't show sound judgement in this case here.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
You can't fault him for his resume, so people crucify him for going on a golf cart joyride. That's how you know you're doing pretty good for yourself.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
At the end of the day, nobody is perfect, and nobody can achieve perfection... Like you, I don't understand why people hate on 'strangers' with limited information of them...

...agreed no one is perfect, that is why we have laws (among other things) engineered to protect society from people who make poor decisions...

I don't think asking for a person who breaks the law to be held reasonably accountable is "hating" on someone, its simply common sense.

Granted what he did was more extremely stupid than evil criminal mastermind but the law is the law and if he gets a fine, that is OK, if he gets probation that is fine.

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
You can't fault him for his resume, so people crucify him for going on a golf cart joyride. That's how you know you're doing pretty good for yourself.

I think not being good at a job is a little easier to swallow than drunkenly stealing a golf cart, joyriding it, hitting another vehicle, and running away.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
OK that is different. I didn't know that he wasn't golfing...Stealing a cart and driving it on a public road is indeed a serious offense. Yes he could get fired if that is the case.

I don't think he was on a public road, at least not one meant for normal traffic. The details on it are pretty light. This happened close to midnight and at least according to the park website they close at 10 PM.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Comparing a drunken joyride in a golf cart in a park to someone who drunkenly gets behind the wheel of a car/truck and puts lives in danger, lends itself to mockery.

When that person nearly lost their family from a drunk driver, you don't mock them and their opinion on the matter.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I think more information will still come out here if this was an isolated issue or if there is any long-term alcoholism issue here behind this DUI.

For example if Leafs send him to a rehab clinic to get additional help than it would extend beyond this one situation. Perhaps the judge will order community service and even mandatory time in a clinic depending on the trial results.

It may not be Graham James, but if Hofford is picking up my kid and driving him along with the others to a hockey event and he has a known drinking problem and may be driving under the influence concerns parents would think twice, about putting their own kids in harms way. IMO

So his reputation now could effect future endeavors and his own business. He certainly didn't show sound judgement in this case here.

It is an isolated instance and rest assured he isn't picking up and driving kids. :laugh:

I provided a link earlier to his company. You should check it out, pretty impressive minus the taxi service!

Last edited:

member 262271

Yet another thread turned into bickering about beliefs, can hockey start already?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
When that person nearly lost their family from a drunk driver, you don't mock them and their opinion on the matter.

If you post an opinion here it is open for debate.

This isn't your mental health facility.

Especially since the original poster brought up a fictitious scenario to support their position.

And I was not mocking her, I was taking her "what if" to the extreme. What if he was in a car and drove into a Tim Hortons? Well what if he was one of those commercial airline pilots recently arrested for being drunk? He wasn't one of those pilots and he wasn't driving drunk in a car into a Tim Hortons.

And people are still bringing up what-if scenarios, and that has nothing to do with what did happen.

Punishment will be for what did happen, not some fantasy we dream up here.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA

Who is crucifying him?

If he is found guilty of a crime, he should be punished accordingly.

If he has broken a clause in his employment contract, he should be punished accordingly.

Pretty simple really.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
If you post an opinion here it is open for debate.

This isn't your mental health facility.

Especially since the original poster brought up a fictitious scenario to support their position.

And I was not mocking her, I was taking her "what if" to the extreme. What if he was in a car and drove into a Tim Hortons? Well what if he was one of those commercial airline pilots recently arrested for being drunk? He wasn't one of those pilots and he wasn't driving drunk in a car into a Tim Hortons.

And people are still bringing up what-if scenarios, and that has nothing to do with what did happen.

Punishment will be for what did happen, not some fantasy we dream up here.

Clearly she has perspective in this fight against DUI that I pray none of us will ever experience.

It's called compassion and empathy maybe look at the world through her eyes?

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012

Why in the world would a bunch of Leaf fans be going after a scout exactly? I don't care that he's a scout. I think he made a dumb decision but some people are acting like its perfectly normal to steal a golf cart from an amusement park while drunk and then hit something.

I hope he faces whatever the normal consequences are for that kind of behavior.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Clearly she has perspective in this fight against DUI that I pray none of us will ever experience.

It's called compassion and empathy maybe look at the world through her eyes?

I agree its important to have compassion and empathy... however, I also think its important to realize not all DUI cases are the samed and shouldn't be pegged under the same brush.

Nobody here is advocating DUI... what is being said, is that you cannot equate made-up/other non-related scenerios to this Hofford case. Until we no more details, I think people really don't have much to base an opinion...

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Why in the world would a bunch of Leaf fans be going after a scout exactly? I don't care that he's a scout. I think he made a dumb decision but some people are acting like its perfectly normal to steal a golf cart from an amusement park while drunk and then hit something.

I hope he faces whatever the normal consequences are for that kind of behavior.

...but it's just a golf cart...

Mulligan?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad