Le Retour des Nordiques Partie XIV: Jamais 2 sans 3 (Expansion bid submitted)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
Winnipeg has done an amazing job. It will be tought to replicate, but the potential is there for sure. On the TV side, i think they can do better. Ticket wise, i dont know, cause Winnipeg is killing it at the gate.. Quebec games will be broadcasted province wide which is a plus on Winnipeg.

At the gate tickets might be a bit cheaper here since theres about 3000 more to sell but the gross should be the same

I think they would be happy with 1.2M per game does this sound like a decent number?

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
How much do you think their TV rights will be worth? Here's the thing though. Quebecor is the broadcaster, no? They might valuate the rights at some level for cap purposes, but not really pass that on to the team's books. Of course, as long as its the same owner, that's somewhat moot as long as they're making money providing the content. I'm just not sure how much money that's going to be and why you think there are more lucrative revenue streams in QC than Winnipeg.

If you operate a team the traditional way, with a core gate receipt focus, plus regional tv rights, you reach the ceiling of the market and that's it. When you market the team as an alternative media product and brand vs. the best brand in the NHL(Habs), suddenly your TV market is effectively bigger than the geographical area where the team is. The TV rights, merchandising and 3rd party revenues will be a product of the Montreal market more than the small Quebec market. The Nords will be a fighter brand.

For this reason, they won't get half the Habs regional rights, they will get at least 3/4 and then they will both start growing quickly until a new balance is reached. Molson, unlike his father, will be happy about the Nords presence because he understands the realities of the modern area. It's great news for him, his brand will get an official local nemesis! (=growth)

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Winnipeg has done an amazing job. It will be tought to replicate, but the potential is there for sure. On the TV side, i think they can do better. Ticket wise, i dont know, cause Winnipeg is killing it at the gate.. Quebec games will be broadcasted province wide which is a plus on Winnipeg.

The new building in Quebec has a lot more potential than the building in Winnipeg(3000 seats?). A winning team in Quebec will make a lot more gate receipt than the Jets. A losing team will be able to scrape the surface by selling tons of cheap tickets.

There is also a generational difference between the two buildings (12-13 years apart?). Ottawa-Edmonton are the comparable for Quebec, not Winnipeg, at least long term.

stchamp98

Mar 18, 2014
Miles City, Montana

While Winnipeg is killing it at the gate, you have to keep in mind that barn only seats 15K. As I understand, your new facility will seat 18K+. That has the potential to be a dramatic difference assuming you sell the place out, which I'm quite confident you will.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
For this reason, they won't get half the Habs regional rights, they will get at least 3/4 and then they will both start growing quickly until a new balance is reached. Molson, unlike his father, will be happy about the Nords presence because he understands the realities of the modern area. It's great news for him, his brand will get an official local nemesis! (=growth)

Exactly, like in pro wrestling, it is always good to have a "bad guy" everyone hates. No question in my mind that having the Isles and Devils in the market helps the Rangers. Same will be true for the Habs.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
At the gate tickets might be a bit cheaper here since theres about 3000 more to sell but the gross should be the same

I think they would be happy with 1.2M per game does this sound like a decent number?

You are making the dangerous assumption that the Quebec population is ready to pay less for hockey vs. Winnipeg.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
While Winnipeg is killing it at the gate, you have to keep in mind that barn only seats 15K. As I understand, your new facility will seat 18K+. That has the potential to be a dramatic difference assuming you sell the place out, which I'm quite confident you will.

Which means diddly squat when you consider that Jets tickets are among the nighest priced in the league. The trend in all leagues is smaller venues with higher ticket pricing.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Habs vs Nords!!!!! I am so happy for fans of hockey in Quebec City. This is a team that never should have left in the first place!

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
Habs vs Nords!!!!! I am so happy for fans of hockey in Quebec City. This is a team that never should have left in the first place!

Nordiques were my team, then they moved to Colorado, then I moved to Ottawa.

If for example Florida gets moved to Quebec, which team should I be a fan of??? :help:

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
If you operate a team the traditional way, with a core gate receipt focus, plus regional tv rights, you reach the ceiling of the market and that's it. When you market the team as an alternative media product and brand vs. the best brand in the NHL(Habs), suddenly your TV market is effectively bigger than the geographical area where the team is. The TV rights, merchandising and 3rd party revenues will be a product of the Montreal market more than the small Quebec market. The Nords will be a fighter brand.

This sounds like the reasoning some have put forth to support TO2. That's an easier sell because it is the same market, just vastly larger in total.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
Uhm, who is your favorite team now?

I started with MTL when I was younger, then MTL and QC (WHL), then QC (NHL), then Avs, then Avs and Ottawa, now mainly Ottawa.

I think I'll stay with Ottawa but most of my all time favourite players were Nords (Goulet, Hunter, Stastnys, Forsberg, Sakik, etc vs EK and Alfie)

I'll have two favourite teams I guess

There is only one answer: THE NORDS!!!!!!:handclap::nod:

Rends-moi pas la vie difficile svp

(don't make it harder than it is)

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

If for example Florida gets moved to Quebec, which team should I be a fan of??? :help:

Atlanta. :nod:

No, seriously, that's a personal decision, and while I don't generally support people hopping from team to team like it's a fashion statement, I can't fault anyone who had their team uprooted, or who had a team placed in their new home. If the world went mad, and someone bought and uprooted the Flyers, I wouldn't follow them elsewhere; I'd become a Capitals fan, because my s/o is a Caps fan. When Philly would get a new team, in my heart I'm still a Philadelphian, so I'd be the first in line for a new Philadelphia jersey.

The best way to decide is to support both, and see what your heart tells you. If you feel like Ottawa is where your heart is, root for them. If you still feel that draw to Québec, then root for the Nords.

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec

That's a grade school math problem right there.

You never tell us that you stopped being a fan of the Nords when they moved to Colorado. You never tell us you became a fan of the Senators.

You never tell us you'd be a fan of the new Nords, either.

So my answer would be, COLORADO.

Or, as I'd answer way too often on these kind of things in exams: "Impossible."

Oh and anybody cautiously threw their fists in the air in celebration when they read the NHL's statement?

One thing that jumped at me is that the first part of process was basically the potential bidders answering "Yes" to the question "Do you believe you have the market, the arena and the money to run a viable franchise AND are you willing to give us 10M to show you are serious and really believe that?" I don't think they evaluated anything yet, this is just asking potential owners to put their salami on the table.

Second part seems to be: "What is that market? What is that arena? Who are you?" This is where things get evaluated.

Third part seems to be: "Cool. US Dollars, please. Wire Transfer. By 3PM."

And the finality of it all is a new NHL franchise for everybody that cleared the process.

Last edited:

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

Considering that the NHL is a gate-driven league, cheer for your hometown franchise first, then have a #1A or #2 favorite.

Stanley Cup

Bettman's ice bucket
Jul 15, 2010
Québec
If we happen to have a subforum (implying we are awarded a team) I'll make sure we have a wall of shame for QC citizens who became habs fans who now come back to their Nordiques fans status.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
If we happen to have a subforum (implying we are awarded a team) I'll make sure we have a wall of shame for QC citizens who became habs fans who now come back to their Nordiques fans status.

No amnesty?

I am NO fan of the Habs, but having your team ripped away might make you do something crazy like cheer for the Habs.

They were mentally and emotionally distraught, your honor. They can't possibly have been mentally competent at that time - having suffered through an emotionally damaging event - and therefore cannot be held responsible for their actions.

Ever read the story of the Prodigal Son (Luke 15:11-32)? If the Nords fans who went to the Habs come back and admit they were wrong for doing so; they should be given a clean slate. Don't you think? They couldn't have known that the Nords would EVER come back; could they have?

They've suffered enough.

Not that you asked, but that's my opinion/suggestion.

HOWEVER.... I say you publically tar and feather ANYONE caught sneaking back into the Habs camp once they have sworn their oath of loyalty to the Nordiques. THOSE pathetic souls should be immediately enshrined into your Hall of Shame.

Just putting it out there...

mjlee

Feb 25, 2006
I really like the Coyotes and their long suffering fans and hope that they not only get to keep their team but that it's a good team. Crappy team and not a waffle, jersey or brown paper bag in sight :D However, a part of me would have liked to have seen them in QC just for the sheer epic that would have been OEL v Karlsson v Subban and the threads it would have spawned on the main board :popcorn:

I hope that you guys get a team and that it's an expansion team not relocation since that always feels like you're dancing on the graves of other fans who have just lost their team and had their hearts broken. Just like fans of the Nords back in the day. You guys of any, understand the pain of watching your team play somewhere else.

So here's to the new Nords and, btw, though not a topic for this board, who would you chose in the expansion draft? :cheers:

Slashers98

Oct 3, 2008
Quebec City
First time people skate on the ice of Centre Videotron.

We can see mayor Régis Labeaume and former NHLer Simon Gagné among others.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad