Le Retour des Nordiques Partie XIV: Jamais 2 sans 3 (Expansion bid submitted)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
Ive suspected as much for quite some time. This figure of $500M remember was floated by Gary Bettman who simply said "I'd like to think NHL franchises are worth $500M". That number growing legs, oft reported, but just hold on here;

Thats not what he said on june 24

Bettman said his indications from the board were that they wouldn’t be interested in moving forward unless the fee began with a five.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Thats not what he said on june 24

Bettman said his indications from the board were that they wouldn’t be interested in moving forward unless the fee began with a five.

..... :squint: Gary Bettman, Bill Daly... they say a lot of things Gordon.

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
If you think about it, it blows your mind, really. Today, for the first time since the team left, Quebec City bids for an NHL franchise.

Yeah im giddy like a schoolgirl right now :laugh: but i cant even imagine what would happen to the mood of the city if we get denied, it would be like 96-97-98 all over again

Retail1LO*

If the NHL awards 2 expansion franchises among Seattle, Las Vegas, and Quebec...I have to imagine the odd man out in the awarding of said franchises would be the A#1 candidate to be the recipient of a relocation should one be needed (and I can't help but imagine some team currently in the league is going to need a safe landing spot.)

My question is, for any of you folks from Quebec following this thread, would your preference be to receive an expansion team, or another via relocation? I'm sure you're thrilled with getting a team either way, but, is one more preferable to another?

Also...what, if any, difference is there in the costs between acquiring a team via expansion, and acquiring one via relocation? Is one more preferable to the other where costs are concerned?

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
If the NHL awards 2 expansion franchises among Seattle, Las Vegas, and Quebec...I have to imagine the odd man out in the awarding of said franchises would be the A#1 candidate to be the recipient of a relocation should one be needed (and I can't help but imagine some team currently in the league is going to need a safe landing spot.)

My question is, for any of you folks from Quebec following this thread, would your preference be to receive an expansion team, or another via relocation? I'm sure you're thrilled with getting a team either way, but, is one more preferable to another?

Also...what, if any, difference is there in the costs between acquiring a team via expansion, and acquiring one via relocation? Is one more preferable to the other where costs are concerned?

I don't care, just give me my Nords back.

Relo would be better because success would likely come faster, but meh, beggers can't be choosers, right? :)

GF

Nov 4, 2012
I have been burned too many times. I will still be skeptical even after Gary announces it :laugh:

Honestly, I do believe it is now or never. If LV and Seattle are ready now, it might be never. Maybe they will grant three franchises, who knows, but I am not very positive right now. We'll see.

Even if they don't get that expansion spot, you really think the Coyotes will play in the desert for much longer than 3 years (the final year of the out clause)?

You think Florida will saty put forever? Or what about Karmanos and the Canes? How do you see this franchise doing over the next years?

Quebec can sleep tight, one of these days the NHL will need that big shiny arena. :popcorn:

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ

Like JordanStaal#1Fan said , i dont care... just bring back my Nordiques .

Now, I did ran into a few fans this past years telling me that they would prefer a relocation insted of an expension .

One in particular, a die hard fan Nordiques fan , even said to me that he wouldnt watch hockey ever again if we end up with an expension team . Saying that he doesnt want to wait 5 years , watching a mediocre team on the ice .

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
One in particular, a die hard fan Nordiques fan , even said to me that he wouldnt watch hockey ever again if we end up with an expension team . Saying that he doesnt want to wait 5 years , watching a mediocre team on the ice .

And see, I'd watch the crappiest team in creation if it meant I had NHL hockey in Arizona...

...wait a minute, I did exactly that last season! :amazed: ;)

I really hope this guy isn't indicative of QC fans as a whole - beggars can't really be choosers in a situation like this, y'know?

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB

Now, I did ran into a few fans this past years telling me that they would prefer a relocation insted of an expension .

forgive my ignorance, but how is this any different than if you got a relocated team?

they don't generally relocate cup contenders, odds are you'd get a **** team and have to wait 5+ years anyway.

And see, I'd watch the crappiest team in creation if it meant I had NHL hockey in Arizona...

I really hope this guy isn't indicative of QC fans as a whole - beggars can't really be choosers in a situation like this, y'know?

unless ur in canada apparently :laugh:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
My question is, for any of you folks from Quebec following this thread, would your preference be to receive an expansion team, or another via relocation?

Oh ya, advantages to Expansion over Relo, inheriting some Dead Wood contracts etc.
Winnipeg didnt exactly burn up the league with Don Waddells line-up.....

But Relo Retail?.. be okay, be better than just ok if it was the Chicago Black Hawks you were buying & moving huh? :D

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
forgive my ignorance, but how is this any different than if you got a relocated team?

they don't generally relocate cup contenders, odds are you'd get a **** team and have to wait 5+ years anyway.

True , but that guy still had the relocation Nords-Avs in mind. Because Colorado won the cup the following year, he was thinking that chances are better for the Nords 2.0 to at least make the playoff in year one vs an expension team.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

Well, normally I'd agree with you, but given the Coyotes' current prospect depth (which is the deepest in this franchise's history since Selanne or Hawerchuk was around), if I were a Nords fan I'd be pretty eager to get my mitts on a team that has OEL, Strome, Domi, Duclair, Perlini, and Dvorak in the system.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Well, normally I'd agree with you, but given the Coyotes' current prospect depth (which is the first time in this franchise's history since Selanne or Hawerchuk was around), if I were a Nords fan I'd be pretty eager to get my mitts on a team that has OEL, Strome, Domi, Duclair, Perlini, and Dvorak in the system.

I would love to get the Coyotes, but they are not sure to move. Very likely IMO, but not sure.

If you were to guarantee me that the 'yotes would be playing in Centre Videotron in October 2016, I would go for it before expansion, sure.

However, if it is between expansion and gambling that the Coyotes or Panthers (other young exciting team) might move, I am taking expansion.

As we say in French "un tiens vaut mieux que deux tu l'auras".

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
Well, normally I'd agree with you, but given the Coyotes' current prospect depth (which is the first time in this franchise's history since Selanne or Hawerchuk was around), if I were a Nords fan I'd be pretty eager to get my mitts on a team that has OEL, Strome, Domi, Duclair, Perlini, and Dvorak in the system.

Yes i'm at 100% with you , They would make a strong young core to build on and we would be lucky to start a franchise on this fondation .

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Well, normally I'd agree with you, but given the Coyotes' current prospect depth (which is the deepest in this franchise's history since Selanne or Hawerchuk was around), if I were a Nords fan I'd be pretty eager to get my mitts on a team that has OEL, Strome, Domi, Duclair, Perlini, and Dvorak in the system.

the #hcanes are kind of in the same boat. glad this talk as shifted from relocation to expansion at least.

rest easy my sun belt brethren and meet me at the tavern :cheers:

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...n-for-nhl-expansion-franchise-in-quebec-city/

Sportsnet article on application for expansion

...would be highway robbery on the part of the NHL. Ask for bids then turn someone down but keep their money, just doesn't make sense.

Now, if they were to keep the entire $10m deposit, then yes. But that first $2m is nonrefundable. And fully identified as such up front.

It's not to say they'd be SOL if their application is not "immediately" approved. They might be "conditionally" approved as 33rd team (to attempt to keep east/west conference balance).

My guess is that the NHL will be using some of that $2m to cover the background/financial checks of the potential owners of a new franchise.

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
I would much prefer to start from scratch with an expansion team than a relo, yeah it might mean 2-3 years of sucking but also 2-3 years of great draft picks to build solid a foundation.

+ i really want an expansion draft :)

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
I would much prefer to start from scratch with an expansion team than a relo, yeah it might mean 2-3 years of sucking but also 2-3 years of great draft picks to build solid a foundation.

+ i really want an expansion draft :)

I hope they televise it. Nowadays with communication tech the way it is, they can get comments from the guys that get picked within minutes.

I don't know know what the PA would think about this, but you could even fly-in the likeliest players to get picked.

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
I would love to get the Coyotes, but they are not sure to move. Very likely IMO, but not sure.

If you were to guarantee me that the 'yotes would be playing in Centre Videotron in October 2016, I would go for it before expansion, sure.

However, if it is between expansion and gambling that the Coyotes or Panthers (other young exciting team) might move, I am taking expansion.

As we say in French "un tiens vaut mieux que deux tu l'auras".
What make you think you can't do both? In fact I can almost guarantee that the NHL put it has a requirement. Anybody interested in buying teams for relocation needed to show up today to bid on expansion. The NHL will do the same kind of due diligence anyway.

Material Defender

Mar 22, 2011
...would be highway robbery on the part of the NHL. Ask for bids then turn someone down but keep their money, just doesn't make sense.

Even more considering Québecor is already a partner...

Considering the actual salary cap, I think building a team from scratch is much more easier than before. So, I really don't care either way...

Same thing for Habs fans. They've been watching a rebuilding team for decades! ;)

WeTheNords

Jun 14, 2015
Wow, today might have been an historic day. The day Québec applied to come back to the NHL. One of the best day for us Nords fans in many years. I can smell it now!! :)

NucksRuleYep

Feb 19, 2013
How will the Canadian dollar affect this bid?

$500 million US = $650 million Canadian.

All tickets will be sold in CDN dollars. All merchandise will be sold in CDN dollars. But player salaries will be in US dollars.

I don't see this realistically happening. It will be a "last minute bail out" by Quebec once they actually crunch the numbers. Passion never overrides a smart business decision.

I mean, nevermind breaking even, how would Quebec team earn back that $650 million? It could take a hundred years...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad