Le Retour des Nordiques Partie XIV: Jamais 2 sans 3 (Expansion bid submitted)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
sipowicz, Quebec City won't support the AHL and never will, especially not if, once again, it is the Habs farm club (which it would likely be). We have the Remparts and people prefer junior hockey to minor league hockey here. Hockey is hockey, that's true, and that's why we have been supporting the Remparts for years and go fill the Colisee to the rafters for the pee-wee tournament each year. However, people are would see the AHL, especially if it were the Habs farm team (like the Citadelles), like an insult. Is it right or wrong? I don't know, but it is was it is.

It doesn't impact our viability as an NHL market though. Centre Videotron would be packed every night for the New Nords.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I disagree sipowicz... hockey is not hockey. After the Whale left town, we got an AHL franchise as our consolation prize. After years of Gretzky, Lemieux, and Francis, we get a minor league team. The gap in skill, speed, and gameplay is so far apart, it almost feels like a different sport.

Hal1971

Mar 26, 2012
Quebec City
Concerning the AHL, the situation is different.

I'm sure when Winnipeg build the new arena, no one believed it was for a return of an NHL team. So a AHL team was embraced as the best caliber you could get.
Now it's different, people in quebec know NHL can work, Winnipeg paved the road for us. The arena was built for NHL, having an AHL team will be view has a huge failure. Imagine if Vegas and Seattle get a NHL team without proving anything and us got a AHL when we proved year after year that we love hockey.

We have the most succesful junior team in the country, the biggest pee-wee tournament in the world, the 2008 world cup was a big success. We supported the Nordiques year after year when the team was at the bottom of the league for 5 years straight, we were 50 000 on the "Marche Bleue", we fill bus after bus for different trip around the league, people paid between 1500$ and 5000$ for a seat that worth nothing except of being on the list to BUY a season ticket.

I'm sorry, but we dont need to support an AHL team to prove anything...

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
To explain a bit more the AHL hate in QcCity...

Last time they gave us an AHL team, they gave Habs AHL team. Like it or not, most of the city hates Habs. Yes there are Habs fans all over the city, but most people deep down still remember the ''Vendredi Saint'' fights and stuff.

''Move'' Providence Bruins to Quebec and we would very much enjoy the team. We would enjoy every assbeating they could give to Hamilton Bulldogs.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I'm not sure I buy the whole "hockey is hockey" argument for traditional markets. I think it's more apt for non-traditional markets like mine, to be honest. We're much less discerning here because we lack the history and legacy of hockey that more traditional markets have.

That said, if we were "allowed" to have, say, the Kings' AHL franchise in Phoenix, we'd react just as angrily as Quebec City fans reacted to the idea of hosting the Habs' AHL team. Your rivals are your rivals, and no amount of hunger for the game can make it okay if you're forced to be partners with a franchise you hate.

I don't think QC is entitled per se to an NHL team, but I also don't think they have anything to prove about hockey.

Hal1971

Mar 26, 2012
Quebec City
I'm not sure I buy the whole "hockey is hockey" argument for traditional markets. I think it's more apt for non-traditional markets like mine, to be honest. We're much less discerning here because we lack the history and legacy of hockey that more traditional markets have.

That said, if we were "allowed" to have, say, the Kings' AHL franchise in Phoenix, we'd react just as angrily as Quebec City fans reacted to the idea of hosting the Habs' AHL team. Your rivals are your rivals, and no amount of hunger for the game can make it okay if you're forced to be partners with a franchise you hate.

I don't think QC is entitled per se to an NHL team, but I also don't think they have anything to prove about hockey.

Speaking of the Yotes, I'm wondering how the fans in Winnipeg would have reacted if the Moose was the Coyotes farm club ?

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
3qHorKe.gif

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^^ Very nice madhi. I didnt realize the AHL, QMJHL & organizers of the QC Pee Wee
Tournament required a state of the art NHL arena complete with full-on lighting effects. :sarcasm:

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Speaking of the Yotes, I'm wondering how the fans in Winnipeg would have reacted if the Moose was the Coyotes farm club ?

We still would have supported them. Hell, the Moose were the farm team of the Canucks.... and we HATE the Canucks.

Winnipeg wanted hockey and even if it was just the AHL for a time, no matter whose farm team it was, it got great support.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
We still would have supported them. Hell, the Moose were the farm team of the Canucks.... and we HATE the Canucks.

Winnipeg wanted hockey and even if it was just the AHL for a time, no matter whose farm team it was, it got great support.

That would have been an interesting scenario, though - cheering for the farm club but booing the NHL squad? :laugh: ;)

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON

I don't think the level of hate that the Jets fans have for the Canucks would be on the level of Nords fans hating the Habs. I think even if the Oilers put their farm team in Winnipeg - and named them the Winnipeg Hey-You-Remember-1990-When-You-Imploded's - it wouldn't hit the contempt that Nords fans have for the Habs :laugh:

DyerMaker66*

I would never support "The Hamilton Leafs", but attendance at Hamilton-Marlies games tells me that it wouldn't turn out like the Citadelles.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg

Last time they gave us an AHL team, they gave Habs AHL team. Like it or not, most of the city hates Habs. Yes there are Habs fans all over the city, but most people deep down still remember the ''Vendredi Saint'' fights and stuff.

Which would bother the fans in Quebec City more - being the AHL affiliate of the Montreal Canadiens or the Colorado Avalanche (formerly the Nordiques)?

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Which would bother the fans in Quebec City more - being the AHL affiliate of the Montreal Canadiens or the Colorado Avalanche (formerly the Nordiques)?

I can't speak for the QC'ers, but my bet would be on the AHL affiliate of the Habs and I don't think it'd even be close.

Hal1971

Mar 26, 2012
Quebec City

The avs are still liked here in quebec, with Sakic and Roy and many quebecers roster. So without a doubt a Avs farm club will do better.

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
We have hockey, we have the Remparts and we support them.

Remparts Crowds have been going down for years
2011 11720
2012 11345
2013 9974
2014 9698

and those are the reported numbers the actual turnstiles numbers are much lower than this

This year they havent opened the upper deck (galerie) even once in the playoffs and the team is in the league final

Theres no chance of us get the habs farm team as they are moving to the Bell Place in laval in 2 years

Shawa666

May 25, 2010
Québec, Qc, Ca

Being the Habs affiliate. Not even close. In fact, anything but the Habs would be somewhat acceptable. even then I think Junior hockey would still be more popular.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG

If it happened immediately in 1996 I think it would have been well supported.

The first couple of years after the team moved the newspapers and tv news still gave a lot of coverage of the Coyotes. I think a couple of games were even broadcast locally. It died out fairly quickly because there was no connection between Winnipeg and the Coyotes anymore - but if there had been a connection like having the farm team in Winnipeg, well who knows... maybe a whole generation of Winnipeg hockey fans would grow up to be Coyotes fans.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG

''Move'' Providence Bruins to Quebec and we would very much enjoy the team. We would enjoy every assbeating they could give to Hamilton Bulldogs.

Why would an AHL team be beating up on an OHL team? :sarcasm:

Habs minor league affiliate will be the St John's Ice Caps next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad