Le Retour des Nordiques Partie XIV: Jamais 2 sans 3 (Expansion bid submitted)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slashers98

Oct 3, 2008
Quebec City
Reminds me of Renaud Lavoie. Back when he was at RDS the swore left and right that the Nords were never going to happen. Now he works at TVA Sports and he's a Nords cheerleader.

Renaud Seattle Lavoie is far from a Nords cheerleader... He's been anti-Quebec city for years... :shakehead

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Don Cherry was on Primetime Sports yesterday. He talked about expansion and he was pretty enthusiastic about the return of QC in the league. He said "they build a spaceship out there! It's Amazing!". lol He talked about Quebec's passion for hockey and he said he was there on the Vendredi Saint/Black Friday brawl between the Habs and Nords and he said he and collegues were having a ball watching it. He said he couldn't wait seeing rekindle the Habs-Nords rivalry.

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
Reminds me of Renaud Lavoie. Back when he was at RDS the swore left and right that the Nords were never going to happen. Now he works at TVA Sports and he's a Nords cheerleader.

Lavoie probably had to follow RDS orders to be negative with everything Quebecor/ Québec / Nordiques related . I dont watch RDS or read RDS.ca ( even more so with their talkbacks ) anymore they make me furious .

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
I am on mobile so I can't copy the TVA Sports link, but they are reporting that a BOG vote could.come as early as September and that Ray Lalonde (marketing genius in the Pierre Boivin Habs administration) could be the Nordiques 2.0 president.

That's great news.

If they vote yes in September, why wait til 2017-18? Let them start next year. Arena is built, won't take long to hire President/GM, gives them time to scout, etc. League has time to align, set schedule matrix. They likely already have a few models being discussed.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
The sooner the better, indeed. Maybe Vegas needs more time though. We already have an administrative structure (Remparts) that they don't have.

We only have to "ajouter de la viande autour de l'os" as they have to build from scratch.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
If they vote yes in September, why wait til 2017-18? Let them start next year. Arena is built, won't take long to hire President/GM, gives them time to scout, etc. League has time to align, set schedule matrix. They likely already have a few models being discussed.

I agree. Bring them in next season.

In fact, staggering the expansion would be a great idea.

Give Quebec the no. 1 overall next year, and Las Vegas the same the year after that. Edmonton will have to settle for the second overall pick for a couple of years... :sarcasm: (couldn't help that).

There can be TWO expansion drafts that expose better players to BOTH teams.

Anything that could help BOTH teams be competitive sooner would be a good thing; especially since I think Las Vegas being chosen as an expansion city is a very bad idea and probably won't work in the long run. But, I'm not infallible and have been wrong before... We'll see.

Anyway... Stagger the expansion. Let the Nords play in 2016. It will be better for everyone involved. The Nordiques might have to scramble a little; but it's doable.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
I agree. Bring them in next season.

In fact, staggering the expansion would be a great idea.

Give Quebec the no. 1 overall next year, and Las Vegas the same the year after that. Edmonton will have to settle for the second overall pick for a couple of years... :sarcasm: (couldn't help that).

There can be TWO expansion drafts that expose better players to BOTH teams.

Anything that could help BOTH teams be competitive sooner would be a good thing; especially since I think Las Vegas being chosen as an expansion city is a very bad idea and probably won't work in the long run. But, I'm not infallible and have been wrong before... We'll see.

Anyway... Stagger the expansion. Let the Nords play in 2016. It will be better for everyone involved. The Nordiques might have to scramble a little; but it's doable.

Not a bad idea. Will be interesting to see how the expansion drafts go with the salary cap. Obviously, teams will leave good players with a big cap hit unprotected. Good players, not franchise players. Will the expansion teams take guys like that or go for the cheap talent, take their lumps and look to build through the draft and free-agency.

Secondly, how will things like No-Trade and No-Movement clauses be handled? Are those null and void for the purpose of the expansion draft or are those players automatically protected. If it is the latter, the Rangers won't lose anyone as Sather gave those out like he was giving out candy on Halloween.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Not a bad idea. Will be interesting to see how the expansion drafts go with the salary cap. Obviously, teams will leave good players with a big cap hit unprotected. Good players, not franchise players. Will the expansion teams take guys like that or go for the cheap talent, take their lumps and look to build through the draft and free-agency.

Well said. I have nothing to add to this.

Secondly, how will things like No-Trade and No-Movement clauses be handled? Are those null and void for the purpose of the expansion draft or are those players automatically protected. If it is the latter, the Rangers won't lose anyone as Sather gave those out like he was giving out candy on Halloween.

I think that would have to be worked out with the players union. I'll bet that there is NO provision for "expansion draft vs. no trade/movement clauses" in the CBA. Is there precedent from "recent" expansions in the 1990s? Were there no trade contracts then? If so, how was that handled?

stchamp98

Mar 18, 2014
Miles City, Montana
The sooner the better, indeed. Maybe Vegas needs more time though. We already have an administrative structure (Remparts) that they don't have.

We only have to "ajouter de la viande autour de l'os" as they have to build from scratch.

Vegas shouldn't need much more time if any than QC assuming they've got their ducks in a row and have started conversations regarding front roles and structure (Which I would assume they have. Bill Foley's a highly intelligent man). Their building will be ready far in advance of September. I don't see any major road blocks.

I agree with the original point that if the BOG votes "YES" on expansion in September, let's proceed with 2016/2017.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

Honestly I dont think LV would have any problem at all in getting completely up to speed for puck drop October 2016. The arena will have been open for some time by then, theyve already got commitments for tickets & suites etc. All thats left are hires, Team President, GM, Scouts etc. On the business side of sales & marketing there are people around in Vegas who were with the Wranglers & other teams/leagues from elsewhere. And of course when it comes to the promotion & marketing of live entertainment & or sports~entertainment properties Vegas has forgotten more about that then most cities have ever or will ever know. Both cities will need to set-up affiliation's, farms, AHL~ECHL co-ownerships or what have you. Seems a bit ludicrous to me to postpone launch until 2017/18 when in both cases (QC&LV) momentum is on the franchises sides. Quebec a no-brainer. Easily hit the ground running. 2017 is the NHL's Centennial sure enough so I really dont see the problem here in getting both franchises on the ice leading into that year combined with whatever other celebratory events they might be contemplating. Financially, 2016/17~2017/18 looks to be potentially a very lucrative 24mnth period in the leagues history.

Last edited:

Revo

Jun 29, 2011
Quebec City

This is all strictly speculative of course. If they're simply null and void, it gives GMs a way to easily circumvent a type of clause; if they're automatically protected, it gives twisted contract-writing incentives leading up to the expansion draft. I'm thinking that it would be something like this: If a team is bound by NMCs for some of its players, it has to first protect those players, then similarly for NTCs, and only afterwards can players without clauses be protected (or players with clauses be left unprotected, if there is more of that type of player in a team than there are available protection spots).

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
Will Sept 28 (habs vs pens) be the one and only non nordiques nhl game played at the Videoton centre ?

If we're voted in i dont think we will get a game in sept 2016 and if we get denied well they better not annonce it before that day cause the game will turn out ugly :rant: and i dont think they will be welcome back

WeTheNords

Jun 14, 2015
Havent listened to it. What does he say?

I have never liked Wyshynski.

Says Québec is the equivalent of someone who invites himself to your house and you try everything to get to avoid that person. Jokes that if they get a team, in five years they will fold and move to Aspen (trying to make a joke about the Nordiques moving to Colorado as well)

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Says Québec is the equivalent of someone who invites himself to your house and you try everything to get to avoid that person. Jokes that if they get a team, in five years they will fold and move to Aspen (trying to make a joke about the Nordiques moving to Colorado as well)

Yeah, I generally find him to be just terribly unfunny.

In his defence I think Gary's perfect expansion didn't include Quebec though. The Nords have sort of invited themselves in that they made their bid in-expendable...but to continue that analogy, they're also the ones who got the cottage, so the NHL has no choice but to party with them (even if they do wish they were hanging out with Seattle or KC instead).

WeTheNords

Jun 14, 2015

In his defence I think Gary's perfect expansion didn't include Quebec though. The Nords have sort of invited themselves in that they made their bid in-expendable...but to continue that analogy, they're also the ones who got the cottage, so the NHL has no choice but to party with them (even if they do wish they were hanging out with Seattle or KC instead).

I like your analogy, but not sure KC would ever be in front of Quebec City. Seattle is a sexy city for the NHL. Not sure KC is.

MarkhamNHL

Sep 22, 2012
if we get denied well they better not annonce it before that day cause the game will turn out ugly :rant: and i dont think they will be welcome back

if they are denied then there is no doubt of the "Canadian snub"... LV is a great unknown and even bigger gamble than any market the NHL has ever put a team in... if LV gets a team and QC doesn't, every Canadian should take this as a slap in the face and we should all take it personally.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
if they are denied then there is no doubt of the "Canadian snub"... LV is a great unknown and even bigger gamble than any market the NHL has ever put a team in... if LV gets a team and QC doesn't, every Canadian should take this as a slap in the face and we should all take it personally.

If Quebecor can pay the money, they get the team. I don't know how much simpler it could be.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Don't read too much into that, the Toronto media been eating crow since Monday night. The special snowflakes spent the last decade hyping Markham and Seattle, all for nothing. Since Monday you can almost hear the gnashing teeth, every time they talk about expansion. It really entertaining.

err... Wyshynski is American, and definitely not a part of the "Toronto media".

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007

If Quebecor can pay the money, they get the team. I don't know how much simpler it could be.
I think the NHL wanted QC, but as expansion. Hence fighting so hard for team to stay, only to (almost) give up by signing that 2 year divorce lease.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad