LD Miro Heiskanen - IFK Helsinki, Liiga (2017, 3rd, DAL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
What i've read different articles on Heiskanen in Finnish media last weeks there's at least 3 teams ( New Jersey, Dallas and Colorado) who are interested him.

There's been rumors New Jersey might trade down to get Heiskanen.
Also MTV3 sport news revealed Wednesday night some NHL GM visited to Helsinki this week.
And that GM met Heiskanen after HIFK's summer practices who that GM was that MTV3 sport news didn't told.

It wasn't this week but Shero visited Heiskanen in Finland before the combine, along with Hischier in Switzerland, and Patrick in Winnipeg

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
It wasn't this week but Shero visited Heiskanen in Finland before the combine, along with Hischier in Switzerland, and Patrick in Winnipeg

Yeah I've read articles of Heiskanen last weeks and Finnish reporters are mentioned that Shero is very interested to get Heiskanen.
But now the question is that who's BPA to Devils is it Patrick, Hischier or Heiskanen or maybe even Makar. Choosing between those four TOP prospects will be tough decision.

Devils need Franchise center but also top pair defenceman to replace Adam Larsson.
I don't know what do you think but my opinion is that Nolan Patrick hurt his chances to go 1st overall when he revealed during the combine he has been in groin surgery twice.

That reveal will cause questions on Patrick's health.
But does that affect his draft position it's another story.

Patrik Barkov

Jun 25, 2016
Won't be too surprised if NJ goes for Heiskanen with the 1st overall pick. This is going to be a very interesting draft.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Won't be too surprised if NJ goes for Heiskanen with the 1st overall pick. This is going to be a very interesting draft.

Yeah this years draft will be interesting.
New Jersey has two crucial needs franchise center and top defenceman who can replace Adam Larsson.

Who's gonna be that player who Ray Shero drafts 1st overall is it Patrick,Hischier, Heiskanen or is it Cale Makar.
Heiskanen and Makar are top defencemans in this years draft and they both can replace Adam Larsson. But as i said New Jersey needs their franchise C too.

Interesting draft week coming for sure.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
https://www.nhl.com/fi/news/heiskanen-mielestaan-draftin-paras-pakki/c-289964492

I couldn't find English version of this article.
Article includes the comments of Miro Heiskanen's ex coach Antti Törmanen.

https://www.nhl.com/news/miro-heisk...semen-for-nhl-draft/c-289955748?tid=277764372

1st thing on NHL.com.

"NHL Director of European Scouting Goran Stubb said Heiskanen is "by far the best European defenseman in the draft."

"Heiskanen also had 10 points (five goals, five assists) in 37 games with HIFK. He played on the top pair at even strength and saw time on the power play and the penalty kill. He returned from missing four weeks in March because of a virus to average more than 20 minutes of ice time in eight playoff games."

"HIFK coach Antti Tormanen said Heiskanen, 17, was his team's best defenseman this season."

"I think it's his ability to play the game and basically all the time making the right decisions," Tormanen said. "When the game is coming really fast he understands how to release the puck by the glass or rim it away, or make a quick turn. That's what is needed in the NHL, on a smaller rink. I think that's definitely the key aspect of his very good game."

Last edited:

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
https://www.nhl.com/news/miro-heisk...semen-for-nhl-draft/c-289955748?tid=277764372

1st thing on NHL.com.

"NHL Director of European Scouting Goran Stubb said Heiskanen is "by far the best European defenseman in the draft."

"Heiskanen also had 10 points (five goals, five assists) in 37 games with HIFK. He played on the top pair at even strength and saw time on the power play and the penalty kill. He returned from missing four weeks in March because of a virus to average more than 20 minutes of ice time in eight playoff games."

"HIFK coach Antti Tormanen said Heiskanen, 17, was his team's best defenseman this season."

"I think it's his ability to play the game and basically all the time making the right decisions," Tormanen said. "When the game is coming really fast he understands how to release the puck by the glass or rim it away, or make a quick turn. That's what is needed in the NHL, on a smaller rink. I think that's definitely the key aspect of his very good game."

The most annoying thing about reading comments on hieskanen is they see the 10 points and thats it, and think/say "Well Valimaki had a PPG in the WHL". No one bothers to take a step back and think for 30 seconds, Thats all it takes to realize 10 in 37 for a D who isnt pegged as an offensive D is damn good. Add his play time and corsi effect and you have an absolute stud

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
I remember hoping he'd be around our pick way back when =/ lol

When Dallas was floating around 8-10 he was who I wanted because I thought he was bomb. Then he crushed the U18s and I though GG whoever gets him. Then we won 3rd in the lotto and I will be mad if we pass on him

Noma

The most annoying thing about reading comments on hieskanen is they see the 10 points and thats it, and think/say "Well Valimaki had a PPG in the WHL". No one bothers to take a step back and think for 30 seconds, Thats all it takes to realize 10 in 37 for a D who isnt pegged as an offensive D is damn good. Add his play time and corsi effect and you have an absolute stud

Well, Heiskanen actually is also an offensive D. 10 in 37 in Liiga is actually very impressive - it's first time since 1991 that a U18 D scores double digits.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Don't think he slips by Dallas and Colorado. One of those teams will take him IMO

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Well, Heiskanen actually is also an offensive D. 10 in 37 in Liiga is actually very impressive - it's first time since 1991 that a U18 D scores double digits.

That's the true wildcard. People don't understand the structure of Euro leagues and how hard it is for defensemen to be trusted as offensive contributors and drivers of the offense at a young age. You'd never know Erik Karlsson was such a phenom by looking at his draft year production in the SHL. 5 goals and 5 assists in 45 games. The truth is that Heiskanen likely has an offensive upside that rivals all but 3 or 4 other defenders in this draft based on the strength of his hockey sense alone. For example, if you put Heiskanen in the OHL last season..... yikes. I won't even discuss what he would have looked like in Makar's. He's getting a lot of people saying "Safe, but meh." which is pretty unfair to his skillset. He's pretty dynamic.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
Ristolainen had 8 points in 40 games at 18. And his offensive game hasn't been as bad as one would have expected.

He has actually turned out as a good 2-way D for the Sabres.

Mikko Koivu had just one point at 18, and he was a forward, turned out as a 70 point two-way center for Minnesota.

I wouldn't be conserned about Heiskanen's lack of offense just yet.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Yeah it's pretty frustrating to keep reading how he doesn't have the offensive potential.
But like above said but him to juniors and I doubt anyone questions his offense.
10 points for 17y D-man is impressive.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
That's the true wildcard. People don't understand the structure of Euro leagues and how hard it is for defensemen to be trusted as offensive contributors and drivers of the offense at a young age. You'd never know Erik Karlsson was such a phenom by looking at his draft year production in the SHL. 5 goals and 5 assists in 45 games. The truth is that Heiskanen likely has an offensive upside that rivals all but 3 or 4 other defenders in this draft based on the strength of his hockey sense alone. For example, if you put Heiskanen in the OHL last season..... yikes. I won't even discuss what he would have looked like in Makar's. He's getting a lot of people saying "Safe, but meh." which is pretty unfair to his skillset. He's pretty dynamic.

Usually peoples who questioning Heiskanen's offensive upside are those CHL is superior compared to Euro leagues type fans.
If Makar would have played in SM liiga he would not have done half of those points what he did in AJHL. Finnish SM liiga is defensive men's league for a reason.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I wouldn't be shocked at all if he went 1st overall.

I think he'll end up as the best player of this draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad