LD Miro Heiskanen - IFK Helsinki, Liiga (2017, 3rd, DAL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
Spezza is getting up there in age, and then who takes his spot? Eakin? I like him, but forward depth is almost as much of an issue for the Stars as their d-core.

I just hate when teams use very high picks on needs and not BPA.

Acquiring a top pairing defenseman seems more important than getting a 2nd line Center replacement.

Besides, there's a decent chance Radek Faksa becomes the team's long term #2 center. He was likened to Kesler as a prospect, and his offensive game has only gotten stronger as he's matured as a pro. 50-60 points & defensively excellent isn't out of the realm of possibility for Faksa in his prime.

Not saying that acquiring Vilardi or Mittelstadt would be bad, since they both have more offensive upside than Faksa, but the Stars are incredibly deep at C in terms of roster + prospects. The odds one of them becomes a 2C is far from 0.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Spezza is getting up there in age, and then who takes his spot? Eakin? I like him, but forward depth is almost as much of an issue for the Stars as their d-core.

Defense is a bigger issue than getting a future #2C.

Seguin is a 25y franchise C, Kling isn't a franchise D-man. Adding a potential #1D has a bigger impact on Dallas team.

I also would't say for quarantee that picking Heiskanen at 3 would be drafting for need, and not for BPA. You don't everyday see D-prospects who play 20min/game in a pro league at 17y and look great.

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
If Dallas take Heiskanen, they have a good young D core growing up. Not to be homer or anything, But Heiskanen would be joining Klingberg, Honka, Lindell etc. That's a good TOP4 if they pan out.

Honka is an outstanding offensive Dman so there's a lot to be excited about in Dallas.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013

Yeah Eakin is not going to be around next year. If you just open your eyes a bit and see there's Faksa, Shore and Janmark (played center with a good touch for a while). Then there's Dickinson, Hintz with both having potential to be adequate #2 centers. But looking at our defense, well not a lot after Honka there to solidify the future.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yeah Eakin is not going to be around next year. If you just open your eyes a bit and see there's Faksa, Shore and Janmark (played center with a good touch for a while). Then there's Dickinson, Hintz with both having potential to be adequate #2 centers. But looking at our defense, well not a lot after Honka there to solidify the future.

Other than Hintz, do any of those guys actually have the offense to be a legit #2C? They look more like middle 6ers

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Look, I'm not hating on Miro at all, I like his game a lot. And the Colorado factor is a huge one that I did not think of when trading down. Its an unfortunate circumstance I guess where if you want a defenseman, you might reach (albeit slightly)

I am by no means an expert on Dallas's farm system, but I don't see an sure fire replacement for Spezza. Shore looks promising, but center depth is an extremely invaluable problem to have.

If one of those C prospects boom, you can trade them for a defender. You could also look to move Spezza to get a solid defensive prospect since you aren't contending before he starts declining even more.

Really, I just don't see Miro as the 3rd best prospect. That's all I am really arguing. If you can't tell, I'm a BPA believer all day, and you can trade the excess for needs.

usefulfiction

Jan 10, 2006
Prosper, TX
Look, I'm not hating on Miro at all, I like his game a lot. And the Colorado factor is a huge one that I did not think of when trading down. Its an unfortunate circumstance I guess where if you want a defenseman, you might reach (albeit slightly)

I am by no means an expert on Dallas's farm system, but I don't see an sure fire replacement for Spezza. Shore looks promising, but center depth is an extremely invaluable problem to have.

If one of those C prospects boom, you can trade them for a defender. You could also look to move Spezza to get a solid defensive prospect since you aren't contending before he starts declining even more.

Really, I just don't see Miro as the 3rd best prospect. That's all I am really arguing. If you can't tell, I'm a BPA believer all day, and you can trade the excess for needs.

That's the frustrating part of this draft.. ask 10 people who the BPA @ 3 is and you're likely to get 10 different answers.

Dallas could get up to the podium with a situation where on their board BPA meets need in Heiskanen.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

You keep forgetting they have Benn& Seguin, 2 u28 franchise forwards.

#1LD is by far their biggest need and it's a dream one of those assets could bring someone like that. As long as they don't fix that they won't be a true contender.

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
That's the frustrating part of this draft.. ask 10 people who the BPA @ 3 is and you're likely to get 10 different answers.

Dallas could get up to the podium with a situation where on their board BPA meets need in Heiskanen.

I'm 100% sure there are some NHL scouts that have Heiskanen No. 1 going into the draft. His skating and IQ are off the charts.

I'm not saying he'll be the first-overall pick or that I have him No. 1, but he is 100% top-three talent and could easily be selected with any one of those three picks.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
I'm 100% sure there are some NHL scouts that have Heiskanen No. 1 going into the draft. His skating and IQ are off the charts.

I'm not saying he'll be the first-overall pick or that I have him No. 1, but he is 100% top-three talent and could easily be selected with any one of those three picks.

Yeah for sure i don't doubt that.
Grant McCagg has been high with Heiskanen at least last two months starting to U18 world championships in Slovakia.
But unfortunately he isn't NHL teams head scout or scouting director who can tell to GM his opinion and affect that teams draft decision.

I don't know how actively NHL teams listen secondary opinions like McCagg.
So i have hard to believe Ray Shero or any else NHL GM taking him seriously.

Mark Edwards

@MarkEdwardsHP
Feb 14, 2008
Toronto
www.HockeyProspect.com

I know one NHL Scout who does for sure. It means little though.

Yeah for sure i don't doubt that.
Grant McCagg has been high with Heiskanen at least last two months starting to U18 world championships in Slovakia.
But unfortunately he isn't NHL teams head scout or scouting director who can tell to GM his opinion and affect that teams draft decision.

I don't know how actively NHL teams listen secondary opinions like McCagg.
So i have hard to believe Ray Shero or any else NHL GM taking him seriously.

I've been raving about Heiskanen since I saw him in Grand Forks at the U18 last year. He was 5'10" 155 and we still put him in our early top 30 in our 2016 Black Book last June.

You can listen to a few interviews here

I think Dallas takes him at #3 if they don't trade the pick.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
I know one NHL Scout who does for sure. It means little though.

I've been raving about Heiskanen since I saw him in Grand Forks at the U18 last year. He was 5'10" 155 and we still put him in our early top 30 in our 2016 Black Book last June.

You can listen to a few interviews here

I think Dallas takes him at #3 if they don't trade the pick.

Yeah Heiskanen is consensus 3rd overall if Dallas will keep that pick.
But also it's possible they'll draft Center too if they decide to take Jason Spezza replacement.

MTV3 sport news interviewed Heiskanen Wednesday night.
In that interview the reporter who interviewed Heiskanen told some NHL teams GM was visiting to Helsinki and he met Heiskanen after HIFK's summer practices.

Who that GM was that was not announced to the public.
Of course that not necessarily mean nothing but still it's a bit mystical because SM liiga teams summer practices are not usually public.

Last edited:

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Wasn't really sold, but Larionov thinks the game like Lidstrom, so his praise is a very valuable piece of information.

"...but Larionov...". Indeed. The Professor knows a thing or two about hockey IQ.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I'm distracting myself with the trade rumours and new jerseys because getting excited over this guy and not getting him will really suck.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
I think this is who NJ wants. Whether that's at number 1 is another question

What i've read different articles on Heiskanen in Finnish media last weeks there's at least 3 teams ( New Jersey, Dallas and Colorado) who are interested him.

There's been rumors New Jersey might trade down to get Heiskanen.
Also MTV3 sport news revealed Wednesday night some NHL GM visited to Helsinki this week.
And that GM met Heiskanen after HIFK's summer practices who that GM was that MTV3 sport news didn't told.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
I'm distracting myself with the trade rumours and new jerseys because getting excited over this guy and not getting him will really suck.

If Avalanche won't get Heiskanen one of Makar, Liljegren,Valimaki or Vaakanainen isn't bad either.

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
What i've read different articles on Heiskanen in Finnish media last weeks there's at least 3 teams ( New Jersey, Dallas and Colorado) who are interested him.

There's been rumors New Jersey might trade down to get Heiskanen.

Also MTV3 sport news revealed Wednesday night some NHL GM visited to Helsinki this week.
And that GM met Heiskanen after HIFK's summer practices who that GM was that MTV3 sport news didn't told.

By who?

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Yeah Heiskanen is consensus 3rd overall if Dallas will keep that pick.
But also it's possible they'll draft Center too if they decide to take Jason Spezza replacement.

MTV3 sport news interviewed Heiskanen Wednesday night.
In that interview the reporter who interviewed Heiskanen told some NHL teams GM was visiting to Helsinki and he met Heiskanen after HIFK's summer practices.

Who that GM was that was not announced to the public.
Of course that not necessarily mean nothing but still it's a bit mystical because SM liiga teams summer practices are not usually public.

Decent chance that could be Nill. With Hintz on that team and the organization being so high on him I would be shocked if Nill made a trip there in the last year and had the chance to personally see the kid

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Decent chance that could be Nill. With Hintz on that team and the organization being so high on him I would be shocked if Nill made a trip there in the last year and had the chance to personally see the kid

Yeah that's one option but why Nill would come to Finland a week before NHL draft and personally meet Heiskanen after HIFK's summer practices.
Dallas was one those 28 teams who interviewed Heiskanen during the draft combine.

When Nill wanted know how Hintz and Heiskanen have developed to HIFK during the season he could at anytime ask that straight away to Kari Takko ( Dallas European scout).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• New York Yankees @ Minnesota Twins
    New York Yankees @ Minnesota Twins
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $3,757.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Las Palmas vs Real Betis