LD Miro Heiskanen - IFK Helsinki, Liiga (2017, 3rd, DAL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
It's not a stretch for Heiskanen to outplay Honka and Oleksiak, potentially Johns too.

I agree that he shouldn't be in the NHL if he's only going to play 10 minutes a night, but it's not impossible that he'll be good enough to play bigger minutes. A lot can happen over a summer, and he already had good experience playing against men this year.

What I could see is him getting 1-9 games in the NHL and then if he's not ready he'll be sent down to AHL or loaned back to HIFK.

Or maybe he's not even close in camp and goes straight back to HIFK, I don't know, but based on his toolset I think he has a chance to stick in the NHL.

I havent seen enough of Heiskanen to say this for sure but watching Honka in texass and Dallas all year I would say the odds of him out playing Honka are pretty close to 0. If he can then the guy should be going first overall. I'm not saying that he can't get to be better than Honka, but one is 21 and the other will be 18. That 21 year old has also pretty much mastered the AHL to the point where he looks almost bored.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I havent seen enough of Heiskanen to say this for sure but watching Honka in texass and Dallas all year I would say the odds of him out playing Honka are pretty close to 0. If he can then the guy should be going first overall. I'm not saying that he can't get to be better than Honka, but one is 21 and the other will be 18. That 21 year old has also pretty much mastered the AHL to the point where he looks almost bored.

For the full 60mins Honka was easily Finlands best player. Was really showing his skating abilities.

Heiskanen, Kling, Honka could give Dallas Nashville like defense(puck moving/offense wise).

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
For the full 60mins Honka was easily Finlands best player. Was really showing his skating abilities.

Heiskanen, Kling, Honka could give Dallas Nashville like defense(puck moving/offense wise).

Heiskanen = Josi
Klingberg = Subban
Honka = Ellis

Why not.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Heiskanen = Josi
Klingberg = Subban
Honka = Ellis

Why not.

That would leave Lindell as #4, which he should be able to, just needs to keep working on his skating more.
Not that bad looking defense all of a sudden thanks to luck.

That's pretty far from realistic but hey...

That wasn't meant as a straight up talent comparison, but style and how they could push the play, Speeeeeeeeeeeed.
That with Seguin should be fun to watch.

LT

XXXX - XXXX - ____ - ____
Jul 23, 2010

I think he'd pretty easily be a top 6 defender in the organization, should we draft him. Doesn't mean I want to see him in the NHL yet, though.

And a year from now, I don't think it'd be absurd to see him as the second best defender on the team behind Klingberg. That's not so much saying he'll be that good, but more just a testament to how bad our defense is, and how much we're relying on the potential of Honka, Lindell, and Johns.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Yeah I doubt any of those comparisons hit. Styles are somewhat similar... talent on the other hand, not so much

Josi and Subban are 2nd round picks. Ellis a late 1st rounder. You can't say anything about talent until they have had the chance to show it.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
If he can crack to his future team's line-up as a middle pairing guy, I don't see a point of playing him rather in the AHL as a top pairing guy. Considering what kind of defensemen the Stars/Avs have atm, it is not out of question after a full summer of hard work. Heiskanen is a kind of guy with little concerns adapting to more tougher competition... jumping from the u20 league to the FEL and playing like a seasoned vet there.

Depends on the Duchene trade. Cause EJ, Barrie, and Zadorov are locking up 3 of the top 4 spots; Bigras should be there by season's end, and the Duchene trade should also return a top 4 guy.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
http://www.suomikiekko.com/2017/05/...ttomasti-olla-varaustilaisuuden-ykkosvalinta/

Can Miro Heiskanen be 1st overall selection 2017? Answer no, not gonna happen.
And there's 3 reasons why.

1 Consensus 1st overall battle has been all season long Patrick vs Hischier.
2 Only scenario where Heiskanen can go 1st overall is that devils trades 1st pick for a team who desperately needs defense ( Dallas, or Colorado)
3 Devils won't trade 1st overall pick.

Last edited:

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
http://www.suomikiekko.com/2017/05/...ttomasti-olla-varaustilaisuuden-ykkosvalinta/

Can Miro Heiskanen be 1st overall selection 2017? Answer no, not gonna happen.
And there's 3 reasons why.

1 Consensus 1st overall battle has been all season long Patrick vs Hischier.
2 Only scenario where Heiskanen can go 1st overall is that devils trades 1st pick for a team who desperately needs defense ( Dallas, or Colorado)
3 Devils won't trade 1st overall pick.

Even Colorado wouldn't draft Heiskanen w 1oa, they'd be happy to get a replacement for Duchene when he gets traded for D.

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Honka is overrated amongst Stars fans solely based on the WHC. Too much puck carrying and his defensive awareness isn't the best. Lacks in physical play quite a bit as well (infront of the net especially). Some have said he should've played in the NHL this season, but I can see why his coach didn't like him there.

Honka is an incredible player that nobody outside of Dallas knows about. These criticisms read like someone who hasn't watched him in the AHL. Too much puck carrying? There should never be ENOUGH puck carrying since it means the team has the puck. I get it. Maybe he "holds the puck too long", but these are issues he's polished over time. His defensive awareness is fine; he has IQ when it comes to activating versus falling back. He's a small defensemen so that he's not physical is a plus. It means he's not picking stupid fights he won't win in the first place. He's feisty as hell though and any team would be lucky to have him.

For reasons he made obvious at the NHL level.

Anyway, back on topic. Heiskanen's a fascinating prospect who reminds me more of a "quieter" Lindholm than Keith. I'm not the biggest fan of Dallas picking him (still love Mittelstadt as a Spezza replacement), but I wouldn't at all complain.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
If (as expected) Patrick and Hischier are long gone by the time the Nucks pick, I hope we draft this kid.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I really think Dallas or Colorado will take him, so I don't think Vancouver will have the chance.

Agreed. I doubt Dallas passes on him and i 100% guarantee if he is there that the Avs take him

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Agreed. I doubt Dallas passes on him and i 100% guarantee if he is there that the Avs take him

Is Vancouver even seriously looking at him?

If I've got the draft thread right it's dominated by talks of Makar/Liljegren for defenseman?

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016

If I've got the draft thread right it's dominated by talks of Makar/Liljegren for defenseman?
I think they are seriously looking at him if he is still available when they draft. But like mentioned earlier, both Stars and Avs passing on him is unlikely, so the discussion is rather pointless.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016

They know that Heiskanen would have to be passed by not one, but two teams in desperate need of defense, and on top of that, Heiskanen is likely the BPA at 3.

I mean, of course I wouldn't be opposed to taking Patrick at 13. The question is, how realistic is that going to be? ;)

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I think they are seriously looking at him if he is still available when they draft. But like mentioned earlier, both Stars and Avs passing on him is unlikely, so the discussion is rather pointless.

They know that Heiskanen would have to be passed by not one, but two teams in desperate need of defense, and on top of that, Heiskanen is likely the BPA at 3.

I mean, of course I wouldn't be opposed to taking Patrick at 13. The question is, how realistic is that going to be? ;)

Reading about them it sounds like they are looking at an offensive defenseman or C, 4 forwards+ Liljegren/Makar as their top5.

Or I'm totally lost which is more like it :laugh:
Vancouver passing on Heiskanen would make this an interesting offseason, again at that point I believe Heiskanen would wear Buffalo jersey. He sounds exactly like the player Botterill wants on his team.

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland

Almost but not quite 2018 draft eligible center/winger w size, strength, skill and smarts but slowish Vilardi might disagree w you. Imo it's a coin flip EVEN when Heiskanen has the need advantage here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad