LD Jakob Chychrun - Sarnia Sting, OHL (2016 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
How would Chychrun rank compared to Chabot and Dermott?
Significantly ahead of Dermott (at comparable draft point) and is much higher regarded. Dermott a smart player, but Chychrun has every physical tool you want in a top pairing defender. He had some problems with what appeared to be a loss of confidence, and some bad decisions, but these weren't apparent in his rookie year so I believe they are solvable. I haven't watched much of Chabot, but I believe most teams would have Chychrun higher, he would be behind Hanifin, Provorov and Werenski at this point though. Chabot has shown more offensively, but Chychrun's tools and defensive game would put him ahead in my opinion.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Significantly ahead of Dermott (at comparable draft point) and is much higher regarded. Dermott a smart player, but Chychrun has every physical tool you want in a top pairing defender. He had some problems with what appeared to be a loss of confidence, and some bad decisions, but these weren't apparent in his rookie year so I believe they are solvable. I haven't watched much of Chabot, but I believe most teams would have Chychrun higher, he would be behind Hanifin, Provorov and Werenski at this point though. Chabot has shown more offensively, but Chychrun's tools and defensive game would put him ahead in my opinion.

That's pretty solid praise . thanks!

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
I think Chychrun will fall and that the team that will draft him will have a stud

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
I think it's crazy that's he's fallen this far, from potential #2 pick to here. He's a great player and just being overanalyzed now.

TMLife*

Auston Matthews
Jun 16, 2010
Victoria, BC
Gonna have a bit of a Fowler situation on our hands here? I think anyone grabbing him after #6 is getting a great value player at a great place in the draft.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
I don't even get why he's dropped so far.... in April it seemed like he was still a consensus top 5 pick, and then he had a great playoff series for the Sting, and now most people have him outside the top 10. How does this happen? It can't just be the U18s. This guy will be a steal wherever he goes.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
So was Sean Day....... Whose had a much worse fall.

Not at all, he was seen as a top 10 for sure, but ever since his first OHL season, he's gone no where but south.

I would def give a lot to move up and draft Chychrun, still think he's the real deal and would be a Phaneuf clone

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Not at all, he was seen as a top 10 for sure, but ever since his first OHL season, he's gone no where but south.

I would def give a lot to move up and draft Chychrun, still think he's the real deal and would be a Phaneuf clone
Two years ago the hyped guys for the draft were Day, Chychrun and Matthews. Some doubt had started to creep in on Day, but most were giving him a pass. By mid-year last year his stock started collapsing.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I don't even get why he's dropped so far.... in April it seemed like he was still a consensus top 5 pick, and then he had a great playoff series for the Sting, and now most people have him outside the top 10. How does this happen? It can't just be the U18s. This guy will be a steal wherever he goes.

McKenzie had him 9th in April, ahead of both Keller and Brown. Both those guys will likely have moved ahead of him in his ranking tomorrow.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Experts started putting out newer lists, and saying they were questioning him. I'd say it started when McKenzie's list was published with him at 9. Seems he didn't impress too much at the WJC U-18, and rarely showed the offensive upside they thought he had this year. I still think he had an off year in that regard, and will bounce back and make alot of people regret dropping him so far. His issues staying healthy would worry me a bit more than the lack of offence he showed.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
Button was the first one to have him outside of his top 10, I believe. Then everyone called him an idiot. Then everyone followed him and started slowly dropping him down their lists. :laugh:

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
There is a video of him on youtube somewhere playing floor hockey at his high school. He was one of the worst players on the floor LoL. However, size wise, he was a beast among boys. I know it's just floor hockey and he probably wasn't even trying, but he just seems to lack something.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
There is a video of him on youtube somewhere playing floor hockey at his high school. He was one of the worst players on the floor LoL. However, size wise, he was a beast among boys. I know it's just floor hockey and he probably wasn't even trying, but he just seems to lack something.
Damn, I feel sorry for this guy if people are analyzing his floor hockey skills. He'll probably read your post and smash his head against the wall. :laugh:

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Chychrun is dropping. I don't see him falling past 15.

Question is if he drops does he become Cam Fowler, or Brandon Gormley.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
I think Ottawa wants Brown or Chychrun (just my gut - not a rumor), so I doubt he gets past 12. In fact, I doubt either will be available at 12.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto

Jim Benning said:
For a man his size - his coordination, his ability to skate, to jump up in the play, to carry the puck, his shot from the blueline... he has all the tools to be a real good NHL defenseman for a long time.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
Chychrun had more shots than Serg and Juolevi by a good margin. I wouldn't be shocked if he put up the best numbers of those guys, along with being good defensively. I'd love for NJ to draft him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad