LD Jakob Chychrun - Sarnia Sting, OHL (2016 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Since December 1st he has 33pts in 37gp in the OHL and 8pts in 7gp in the playoffs. It is been discussed on here that in October and November his shoulder was still recovering. So basically since he has been healthy he has been a ppg D that plays both ends well and has size and all the tools to boot. There are those that have emerged this year like Laine and Puljujarvi to supplant him from the #2 OV slot he was projected to go in the draft, but to say he is not top 10 talent is ridiculous. The whole low hockey IQ thing is utter nonsense a few posters on HF started spewing that drew some bandwagoners. Show a legit scout who has said that.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Since December 1st he has 33pts in 37gp in the OHL and 8pts in 7gp in the playoffs. It is been discussed on here that in October and November his shoulder was still recovering. So basically since he has been healthy he has been a ppg D that plays both ends well and has size and all the tools to boot. There are those that have emerged this year like Laine and Puljujarvi to supplant him from the #2 OV slot he was projected to go in the draft, but to say he is not top 10 talent is ridiculous. The whole low hockey IQ thing is utter nonsense a few posters on HF started spewing that drew some bandwagoners. Show a legit scout who has said that.
If Chychurn had good hockey IQ then he'd be the #1 D prospect because he's bigger, faster, quicker, and overall better than Juolevi and Sergachyev. That is what is holding Chychurn back from top 5, top 3 maybe. I'm not saying he's a consistent turnover machine but he can get flustered quite often in a game if a team fore checks smartly. It happened numerous time in the U18 and I've seen it in the OHL, sometimes he doesn't understand that less is more and forces it up the boards to a turnover. Or he throws it into traffic but then chases the puck.

Just little things that can become consistent problems in the NHL.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
He was a challenger, not a holder of the title.

The point is he has fallen quite a bit. He at one point was in discussion for 1st overall if thats clear for u and then gradually slipped to where now a lot have him WAY DOWN

Not a good sign if i had a pick around 10 or even 15 i dont know if id pick him

jabes

Jul 3, 2013
Halifax, NS
If Chychurn had good hockey IQ then he'd be the #1 D prospect because he's bigger, faster, quicker, and overall better than Juolevi and Sergachyev. That is what is holding Chychurn back from top 5, top 3 maybe. I'm not saying he's a consistent turnover machine but he can get flustered quite often in a game if a team fore checks smartly. It happened numerous time in the U18 and I've seen it in the OHL, sometimes he doesn't understand that less is more and forces it up the boards to a turnover. Or he throws it into traffic but then chases the puck.

Just little things that can become consistent problems in the NHL.

Or little things that can easily be fixed before getting to NHL?

He has all the tools and there is still plenty of time to work on his game and IQ as he will become smarter over time and development. Yes, that is possible. A player can change his habits pretty quickly and the fact that he has them at this level shouldn't really be alarming.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
The point is he has fallen quite a bit. He at one point was in discussion for 1st overall if thats clear for u and then gradually slipped to where now a lot have him WAY DOWN

Not a good sign if i had a pick around 10 or even 15 i dont know if id pick him

Good thing you aren't a GM then.

I'd fire you as my GM if you passed on Chychrun at 15.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Or little things that can easily be fixed before getting to NHL?

He has all the tools and there is still plenty of time to work on his game and IQ as he will become smarter over time and development. Yes, that is possible. A player can change his habits pretty quickly and the fact that he has them at this level shouldn't really be alarming.

Hockey smarts is probably one of the hardest things to develop.

Improving your passing, shooting, skating, adding some muscle, etc are all tangible things players can focus on improving. It's much harder to improve your ability to read a play in a split second.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Does he play a physical game? If so does he throw some big hits or mostly just plays gritty?

NoTouchIcing

Feb 3, 2010
Guelph, ON
The fact that Chychrun isn't being talked about at #4 overall blows my mind... he's easily the best defenseman in this draft and in my evaluation the best OHL player in this draft. I've seen a lot of OHL games this year and JC stands out as the most NHL-ready player in the entire league, based on his skating alone.
Disclaimer: I've never seen PLD play

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
It's bizarre to see everyone say no dman is worth a top 5 pick... months ago teams would be happy to snatch him up at 5.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
The fact that Chychrun isn't being talked about at #4 overall blows my mind... he's easily the best defenseman in this draft and in my evaluation the best OHL player in this draft. I've seen a lot of OHL games this year and JC stands out as the most NHL-ready player in the entire league, based on his skating alone.
Disclaimer: I've never seen PLD play

I agree, the guy is very good and should be a top 5 pick

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Oilers should take him, I'd say he has the highest upside of all D-men. I don't see Nurse being anything more than a 2/3 shutdown guy, and I think Chychrun has the potential to be the do everything D all teams need. I've seen alot of Juolevi, and I think he's the safest option, but I don't see him having the tools to be a #1D. Sergachev is an even bigger wildcard than Chychrun, but I don't think the Oilers can gamble that much at 4 unless they trade down. The Oilers should honestly explore turning RNH into a capable defender like Hamonic, then use 4 to draft Chychrun.

Redline

Feb 26, 2003
boardroom
Visit site
He might end up in Arizona. it would a great spot for him.
He won't go top 3........
4. Edmonton- won't draft a defenseman at #4, they might trade the pick to somebody that will by they would take a winger with size. They need D now and though I see some saying he looks NHL ready now, he sure doesn't look that way to me.
5. Vancouver- they need goal scoring. Well, they need a lot of things but scoring up front is the main priority.
6. Calgary- They're taking Brown, I can feel it.
7. Arizona- Loaded with high end forward prospects, need defensemen but won't be outbidding other teams for UFA's. Perfect slot for Chychrun to be picked and perfect situation for a budding young defenseman.

stavs*

Oct 11, 2010
Toronto
Chychrun has all the tools to be so good, in fact he could probably challenge for top 3 very easily if he just showed a little more. His IQ seems to be good, but sometimes it's like his decision-making goes down the toilet. When he played in the U18's just recently, the increased speed of the game seemed to mess with him. Obviously its something he can adjust to but the NHL is a whole different beast and it raises some questions based on how transferable his game will be. If he puts it together he could be a top-pairing D, because he has the tools, but he could also easily turn into a more mobile version of Phaneuf if he doesnt. He could be the biggest boom/bust prospect in this draft.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
I was watching some clips earlier and is it just me or does Chychrun look like a 30 year old man? Has anyone checked the birth certificate lol.

stavs*

Oct 11, 2010
Toronto
I was watching some clips earlier and is it just me or does Chychrun look like a 30 year old man? Has anyone checked the birth certificate lol.

he looks close enough to my age and I got almost 10 years on the guy. He matured real quick, most boys at that age still have a baby face, but he has the jawline of a man already.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Still looks younger than Laine and Logan Brown. He's no Devreaux Heshmatpour, or Ekblad.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
If he had a head on his shoulders like David Quenneville, and with the tools chychrun has now, he would be challenging Matthews for the top spot imo.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Chychrun has all the tools to be so good, in fact he could probably challenge for top 3 very easily if he just showed a little more. His IQ seems to be good, but sometimes it's like his decision-making goes down the toilet. When he played in the U18's just recently, the increased speed of the game seemed to mess with him. Obviously its something he can adjust to but the NHL is a whole different beast and it raises some questions based on how transferable his game will be. If he puts it together he could be a top-pairing D, because he has the tools, but he could also easily turn into a more mobile version of Phaneuf if he doesnt. He could be the biggest boom/bust prospect in this draft.

Could it be a conditioning issue? Obviously a player would make more mistakes when he is fatigued.

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
Could it be a conditioning issue? Obviously a player would make more mistakes when he is fatigued.

His conditioning is great, plays more minutes then anyone else on Sarnia without a problem, his thing is that he never does the default easy play when he has no options, hates going off the glass and out or doing a dump and chase because he knows its just giving the puck to the other team, so he often tries difficult breakout passes, which is a great quality for a player at the junior level (especially when you're as good defensively as Chychrun) to be working on because he will be able to start doing the easy plays more without a problem when he hits the NHL, he is NO WHERE NEAR as bad as some people say he is when it comes to hockey IQ. He's clearly not as good of a breakout passer as say Juolevi or Fabbro but thats pretty much all they have on him

Only other thing he struggles at is when he skates the puck in too deep in the offensive zone, he doesn't seem to know what to do once he gets there, but for what he brings to a team i wouldn't care about this because it will only happen likely 2-4 times a game and it's still a player having possession while gaining the offensive zone which is always great

You can say his problem is he tries to do too much, but i'd rather teach a prospect to try and do less rather then trying to get him to do more

Chychrun will likely have alot of similar traits as Ryan Mcdonagh in my opinion but is a better skater, not great offensively but solid with a good shot (30-40 points), amazing defensively, physically, is a leader and does lots of things right

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad