LD Jakob Chychrun - Sarnia Sting, OHL (2016 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alberta tough

Sep 3, 2008
Still on top!
He was named to Team Ontario for the U17. Pretty impressive considering he is playing midget this year. Can anyone tell me about him.

MOD:
BYhdDjICEAAlF5o.jpg:large

Last edited by a moderator:

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Some tough luck for the Americans with Day and Chychrun. I guess Day was never a possibility since he wasn't even dual, only played his minor hockey in the states. Chychrun will hurt a bit more.

Im jumping the gun though since the tournament isn't an official IIHF sanctioned event and doesn't preclude Chychrun from playing for the Americans in future tournaments(I think? Someone correct me if Im wrong)...Can't be a good sign though.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Some tough luck for the Americans with Day and Chychrun. I guess Day was never a possibility since he wasn't even dual, only played his minor hockey in the states. Chychrun will hurt a bit more.

Im jumping the gun though since the tournament isn't an official IIHF sanctioned event and doesn't preclude Chychrun from playing for the Americans in future tournaments(I think? Someone correct me if Im wrong)...Can't be a good sign though.

Correct. He'd still be eligible for either country if he wants. In fact, he's not likely even IIHF eligible for Canada until after next season (assuming he's obviously in the OHL) due to the "Matteau rule". That said, I think the USAH ship sailed when they didn't grant his exception to play in the USHL this year.

Win some duals, lose some duals. And USAH wins more than their fair share.

dwanmaster*

Correct. He'd still be eligible for either country if he wants. In fact, he's not likely even IIHF eligible for Canada until after next season (assuming he's obviously in the OHL) due to the "Matteau rule". That said, I think the USAH ship sailed when they didn't grant his exception to play in the USHL this year.

This really ticks me off. He is GOOD enough to play in the USHL, and it's not like he isn't physically mature enough for the USHL. Now we lose a kid who probably would have gotten up to the NTDP U-18 team very quickly, now probably be another All-star for Canada.

SeanLafortune

@SeanLafortune
Jun 13, 2013
www.thescout.ca
Just watched him play about an hour ago.

Hes our top rated player for the OHL Draft, and Ill be honest, I can't see it changing unless he absolutely falls of a cliff.

Big, mobile defender who can dominate on both sides of the puck. Aggressive, physically dominate down low but can turn the tempo up offensively and dangle with some of the best of them. Still makes some iffy offensive decisions, but 9 times out of 10 he makes the right read. Convinced he could play on any OHL team right now and not miss a beat.

We should have an ISO video of him in the next month, Ill post it here when its available.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
What's odd is that he was born in Florida and played all of his minor hockey in Florida and Michigan growing up.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
This really ticks me off. He is GOOD enough to play in the USHL, and it's not like he isn't physically mature enough for the USHL. Now we lose a kid who probably would have gotten up to the NTDP U-18 team very quickly, now probably be another All-star for Canada.

I feel your pain however it appears his Dad brought him up as a Canadian. Believe me it's even worse when the offspring of a big time Canadian player chooses to play for the USA. Based on the number of American teams in the NHL you will probably come out ahead in the long run.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010

Yep, and I think even though this will not technically lock him into representing either country, kids usually don't switch.
There's a few kids out there like Cassels that played for Ontario at the U17 and then have kind of flip flopped (played at that USA Hockey prospect game), but Chychrun seems to be at a different level than those types.

I have not gotten to see him yet as the last time I saw the JRC was at the Titans tournament before he joined the team, but will hopefully see at the Silver Sticks.
Looking forward to it.

dwanmaster*

I feel your pain however it appears his Dad brought him up as a Canadian. Believe me it's even worse when the offspring of a big time Canadian player chooses to play for the USA. Based on the number of American teams in the NHL you will probably come out ahead in the long run.

Ah, well in that case I can't be too mad if his dad brought him up. I was thinking that USAH spurned him and he just went off to Canada.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
What's odd is that he was born in Florida and played all of his minor hockey in Florida and Michigan growing up.

Who would have imagined a day when Canada started icing Floridian hockey players? The hockey world has literally been turned upside down.

All kidding aside, if that's what Chychrun has always wanted then congrats to him. I do have to admit that the constant dual-citizen questions are really starting to sap my long time enthusiasm for international hockey competition.

nikyc

Nov 16, 2011
He has plenty of relatives in Canada and his dad Jeff would have been a very good defenseman had it not been for a wrist injury that didn't heal properly. His dad played for Philly and LA alongside Gretzky.
Nice to here that my wife's cousin is doing so well.

wishywashy19

Dec 14, 2011

The crying and moaning goes both ways.
My local hero al Mac innis has a son Ryan dressed in Stars and Stripes .
Now that my friend is disheartening.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Yep, and I think even though this will not technically lock him into representing either country

If the USHL denies him like they did and he comes to the GTHL like he did and he looks good but not incredible than I understand the decision. BUT, this young man is a physical monster, he is the fastest skater in Ontario, the strongest, shoots the hardest, competes like crazy, his outlet passes are outstanding on tape and right in stride and are laserbeams...It makes no sense USA hockey said no your not ready. Its refreshing to see a player use his size, every bit of it to literally scare his opponents and get them completely off their game.

Maupin Fan

Hot Air
Sep 17, 2009
What exactly happened with him and the USHL?

I know Youngstown wanted him and he made the team...why wasn't he allowed to play?

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
The crying and moaning goes both ways.
My local hero al Mac innis has a son Ryan dressed in Stars and Stripes .
Now that my friend is disheartening.

MacInnis was born and grew up his entire life in the USA, who cares what country his parents are from. How is that disheartening?

Chychrun grew up in Florida and Michigan, which makes the decision to play for Canada somewhat puzzling. In the end its his choice, but I find it odd considering his circumstances. He wasnt born in Canada, didnt grow up in Canada, and didnt play in Canada until this year. Will his teammates even consider him Canadian? Will they consider Day Canadian? Even though Day doesnt have US citizenship, but spent his entire life in the US. Theres been rumors in the past of dual players on both the US and Canada being somewhat not accepted because of their dual citizenship.

You can make the argument about Galchenyuk, but at least he was actually born in the US. Cagney is right, all this dual citizen stuff is nuts.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
This kid does not look 15. He looks 20. Freakin Nextblad

Seriously. There's a picture of him with Kris Letang, and he's considerably bigger than the Pens all-star. My friend is a Minor Midget AAA coach in the GTHL, and he's been just gushing about what a talent/specimen that Chychrun is.

He's playing Sunday at 5pm at Buckingham Arena vs the Marlies. Going to try and get out to that and see him against the powerhouse Marlies in what should be a fantastic game before the Silverstick starts.

Alberta tough

Sep 3, 2008
Still on top!
Chychrun grew up in Florida and Michigan, which makes the decision to play for Canada somewhat puzzling. In the end its his choice, but I find it odd considering his circumstances. He wasnt born in Canada, didnt grow up in Canada, and didnt play in Canada until this year. Will his teammates even consider him Canadian? Will they consider Day Canadian? Even though Day doesnt have US citizenship, but spent his entire life in the US. Theres been rumors in the past of dual players on both the US and Canada being somewhat not accepted because of their dual citizenship.

Pominville situation right here. It works both ways.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
The U.S. is losing more of these types of decisions of late. What's interesting is the "losses" haven't really made an impact in international competition - at least at the junior level. I'm thinking of guys like Kozun, Foligno, Myers, and Oleksiak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad