LD Jakob Chychrun - Sarnia Sting, OHL (2016 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

suddeninterest

Aug 19, 2014
His conditioning is great, plays more minutes then anyone else on Sarnia without a problem, his thing is that he never does the default easy play when he has no options, hates going off the glass and out or doing a dump and chase because he knows its just giving the puck to the other team, so he often tries difficult breakout passes, which is a great quality for a player at the junior level (especially when you're as good defensively as Chychrun) to be working on because he will be able to start doing the easy plays more without a problem when he hits the NHL, he is NO WHERE NEAR as bad as some people say he is when it comes to hockey IQ. He's clearly not as good of a breakout passer as say Juolevi or Fabbro but thats pretty much all they have on him

Only other thing he struggles at is when he skates the puck in too deep in the offensive zone, he doesn't seem to know what to do once he gets there, but for what he brings to a team i wouldn't care about this because it will only happen likely 2-4 times a game and it's still a player having possession while gaining the offensive zone which is always great

You can say his problem is he tries to do too much, but i'd rather teach a prospect to try and do less rather then trying to get him to do more

Chychrun will likely have alot of similar traits as Ryan Mcdonagh in my opinion but is a better skater, not great offensively but solid with a good shot (30-40 points), amazing defensively, physically, is a leader and does lots of things right

Sounds good to me, Edm needs some good D who aren't afraid to push the play more and try to hit the forwards instead of just throwing the puck away every time. From what I've seen of him I think he has a pretty good offensive IQ, better than Nurse for example. I mean he basically went almost ppg in his last 40 games including playoffs and u18. I would think his ceiling might be a little higher than McDonagh, maybe Pietrangelo, so not the elite of the elite but still a bonafide solid #1. He could probably score 40-50 with the Oilers forwards if all goes well.

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
had once the physical advantage and would be able to get away with moves
most players have closed the size gap and eventually there will be no significant difference
will see how he adapts

Joel Ward

Sep 24, 2012
Toronto
If the Oilers are not able to package the pick for a top defenseman, I really think they should take Chychrun over Dubois. I have seen him play live a couple times and was thoroughly impressed with his ability to carry the puck and shut down the opposition. I remember reading earlier in the year that he primarily played RD, however, when I have seen him play he has been paired with a RHD and was on the left side. Does he play the right side still? Would make even more sense for Edmonton if he does.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
If the Oilers are not able to package the pick for a top defenseman, I really think they should take Chychrun over Dubois. I have seen him play live a couple times and was thoroughly impressed with his ability to carry the puck and shut down the opposition. I remember reading earlier in the year that he primarily played RD, however, when I have seen him play he has been paired with a RHD and was on the left side. Does he play the right side still? Would make even more sense for Edmonton if he does.
I know most of the teams you could trade down with, you hate. But if you target Chychrun, I'd consider talking to Flames at 6, Coyotes at 7 or Habs at 9. Habs are probably most interested in moving up though. Edmonton has amazing young talent, but due to years of terrible drafting past the 1st round doesn't have much prospect depth. Might be best to move down and accumulate picks. Maybe even move down to 9 and try to pay a smaller difference to move up to 7 if your worried about Buffalo taking Chychrun.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Brock posted in his own thread, but his take is so pro-Chychrun it needs to be here too:

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2016/05/my-final-top-50-ohl-players-for-2016_20.html

A snippet:

In essence, I see Chychrun as having the potential to develop into a dominant two-way defender who could challenge for multiple Norris trophies. Defensively, Chychrun has so many strong characteristics. Firstly, his positioning and ability to seal off forwards from chasing down loose pucks is among the best of any draft eligible defender that I've seen. If he was an NBA player, he'd be one hell of a rebounder. Part of that is because of his mobility. Part of that is because of his strength. Both are fantastic. Chychrun toys with playing physical and seems to be most willing to lower the boom when defending the rush.

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Brock posted in his own thread, but his take is so pro-Chychrun it needs to be here too:

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2016/05/my-final-top-50-ohl-players-for-2016_20.html

A snippet:

I share a lot of the same views on Chychrun as Brock does, definitely feels good to have validation in a sense from someone who watches him a lot instead of people I've had conversations with who've watched him once this year and looked at his stats at one point. I think he'll be a really special player and will prove a lot of the doubters wrong that have popped up over the course of the year.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
If Tkachuk/Dubois go 4/5 and CGY stays at #6 it would not surprise me one bit if CGY takes Chychrun at #6. I think Treliving and Burke love defensemen and Chychrun has that massive potential with his skating, size, skill combination. Would not surprise me if the Flames scouts see Chychrun similar to how Brock Otten and Steve Kournianos (The Draft Analysit) see him. They were still high last year on Kylington despite his poor year and I think they'd take the entire body of work on Chychrun and look long term with his potential.

SharkInABoloTie

Sponsor
Mar 8, 2016
The Heart of Darkness
I'm really on the fence about him. Should a team keep it "safe" a go with a forward/juolevi, or pick up what COULD be the best dman this draft? I wonder if, because of his maturity/early bloomer, he has already peaked and won't grow as much as say juo or serg could.

bananaz

Oct 26, 2006
Canada
Flames Draft Watcher;118492749[B said:
If Tkachuk/Dubois go 4/5 and CGY stays at #6 it would not surprise me one bit if CGY takes Chychrun at #6.[/B] I think Treliving and Burke love defensemen and Chychrun has that massive potential with his skating, size, skill combination. Would not surprise me if the Flames scouts see Chychrun similar to how Brock Otten and Steve Kournianos (The Draft Analysit) see him. They were still high last year on Kylington despite his poor year and I think they'd take the entire body of work on Chychrun and look long term with his potential.

I fully expect Tkachuk/Dubois to be taken by Edm/Van and would be very comfortable with the Flames taking Chychrun at #6.

Faustus

Jun 21, 2012
Chychrun has all the tools to be so good, in fact he could probably challenge for top 3 very easily if he just showed a little more. His IQ seems to be good, but sometimes it's like his decision-making goes down the toilet. When he played in the U18's just recently, the increased speed of the game seemed to mess with him. Obviously its something he can adjust to but the NHL is a whole different beast and it raises some questions based on how transferable his game will be. If he puts it together he could be a top-pairing D, because he has the tools, but he could also easily turn into a more mobile version of Phaneuf if he doesnt. He could be the biggest boom/bust prospect in this draft.

Would you call a more mobile Phaneuf a bust? Phaneuf is/was a decent #2, and his biggest problem on the Leafs was his skating, imo.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Yeah, if Chychrun has a Phaneuf like career, that's a quality pick as soon as 4th. Phaneuf has been a legit top pairing guy for most of his career. He just isn't a number 1.

CdnFan

Apr 9, 2016
I'd love to see Calgary and Edmonton to swap picks - anything the two teams can do to "build the hate" is good for both franchises. :)

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Chychrun is a good player. If the Leafs finished 4th overall, I would want to pick him. I don't think Dubois/Tkachuk are much better prospects than him.

Lots of factors go into his play this season, I bet he'll go back to Sarnia without the pressure of the draft and just kill it next season.

I am just hoping he doesn't go 8th to Buffalo...they are building a scary team right now.

I've watched the Knights plenty of times because of Marner and you cannot convince me that Juolevi is a better defenseman than Chychrun. He might be a safer pick but he doesn't have Chychrun's potential.

CanadianFlyersFan18

Aug 24, 2009
For me his draft year is a lot like Cam Fowler .. In 5 years if he slides in the draft like he's projected to a lot of people will be questioning why. Quite a good hockey player, physically fit for the NHL, his skating and physical abilities are too high not to succeed at the NHL level. It's my personal belief a player can be over scouted and that's what he's fallen victim too .

Mad Brills*

So weird to see such kind and flattering words for Dion Phaneuf in here.

I liked dion, was just never worth his contract.

He was a norris finalist in 2008, and he looked great, before he got cut by a skate and his mobility isn't the same.

James Underbuss*

Mar 3, 2016
Seems to me Chychrun has become the biggest dark horse in the draft. The key will be in his development. God help him if the oilers choose him but otherwise, he could be an absolute steal anywhere below pick 3.

BIG GIFS

Apr 29, 2004
What is the consensus on Jakob Chychrun right now? What does people project him to be like at the NHL level and how long could it be until he is in the NHL? It seems like Juolevi and Sergachev are getting all the press lately.

Is it a case of people having seen/heard so much of him in the last years that people don't want to talk about him anymore?

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
Top 4 dman. If you wanted to rush him he could maybe play right out of the draft, if not, 1 to 3 years away depending on if you want to fully develop him thru juniors and AHL.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
What is the consensus on Jakob Chychrun right now? What does people project him to be like at the NHL level and how long could it be until he is in the NHL? It seems like Juolevi and Sergachev are getting all the press lately.

Is it a case of people having seen/heard so much of him in the last years that people don't want to talk about him anymore?
Think he needs a bounce back year in jr, but still has arguably the highest ceiling of any defender in the draft. Has alot in common with Bogosian, but hopefully the team that drafts him doesn't try to rush him. All 3 OHL defenders should be sent back for a minimum of 1 year, and most likely 2 unless they take massive steps forward. Sergachev needs to refine his defensive game, Juolevi needs to get bigger and Chychrun needs to find a way to effectively balance his game, and show more of that offensive ability he did in the 2nd half of his 16 year old season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad