Confirmed with Link: Lazar and Kostka for Jokipakka and a 2nd

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Lazar is not a failure of the scouting staff. He'd be a legit NHL player right now if he'd spend the last 2.5 years in jr followed by AHL.

Can we stop to pass this opinion as fact? :facepalm:

There is absolutely no way to say either way. Lazar had a mature game and was physically ready for the NHL. IMO, he doesn't have the skill and hockey sense to be more than a bottom-6 player.

The 2013 draft was poor in general. Not many players that the Sens missed out on at this spot.

Here is my favorite excerpt. So sad...

"The bottom line is that Jokipakka's is a detriment for a variety of a different reasons. His numbers are worse than replacement level, he's bad even by the Flames standards, they have better options to work with, he drags his pairing down, and he keeps the team from being able to ice an optimal lineup. There isn't any use keeping him around.

Jokipakka isn't all that young by NHL standards and he doesn't have a lot of ceiling. He's 25 years old and this is an individual who was selected in the seventh round five drafts ago. If he hasn't peaked, he's very close to doing so and what limited ceiling is there screams out that he isn't good enough to have a permanent home in the NHL."

Don't put too much stock on this articles, most are ******** and made by random fans with unrealistic expectations and who are putting way too much stock on advanced stats. Rely on people who know instead, or who watched him play regularly. He is nothing more than a 6th/7th, but people here will like him more than Borowiecki and will ask that he plays over him.

Wonder if Dorion will package the 2nd with our 1st this year to move up at the draft and try to get a 10-15 pick range to get someone they like if it's really considered that weak..

I was thinking about this earlier. If Dorion manages to draft Elias Pettersson I will forgive him for Dahlen

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Was hoping the Sens could pick up a 5th or 6th Dman. I think we going to have trouble if we make the playoffs with Borowiecki, wideman, Ceci.... I guess Kulikov and Franson were too expensive. :(

I wanted Ottawa to sign Franson when he was a free agent a few yrs ago & most here were opposed to it. They got a 2nd rd pick which is what they wanted for Lazar so it will be interesting what happens at the draft too.

Sens Left Dmen in order

Methot/Phaneuf
Methot/Phaneuf
Cleasson
Jokipakka

Boro

My list is slightly different than yours for left shot defencemen & some day soon Chabot should be at the top of this list.

1. Phaneuf
2. Methot
3. Boroweicki
4. Englund
5. Claesson
6. Harpur
7. Wollanin/Jokipakka

Jokipakka is big 6'3 and 216lbs defenceman plays stay at home style he won't contribute much offensively.

http://www.dobberprospects.com/jyrki-jokipakka/
Here's some extra information of him.

I'll be surprised if we ever see him in Ottawa unless as an injury replacement. This move was all about the 2nd rd pick IMO.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
For a 2nd in a weak draft I'd have hung on to Lazar. He looked better last year but had mono and no camp this year. I didn't like his play but it seemed abnormal to me.

Have no idea on Pakka but his salary is $900k and will be an RFA. He doesn't sound like a NHL keeper he might just be a season ender. Kostka had no real value they are just sending a contract and a bit of money back.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Take it easy, Curtis. I'll be pulling for you in Calgary, but I guess not till after this year because we want that second to be as high as possible.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
For a 2nd in a weak draft I'd have hung on to Lazar. He looked better last year but had mono and no camp this year. I didn't like his play but it seemed abnormal to me.

Have no idea on Pakka but his salary is $900k and will be an RFA. He doesn't sound like a NHL keeper he might just be a season ender. Kostka had no real value they are just sending a contract and a bit of money back.

Hung on to him for what? Where does he play this year with the addition of Stalberg and Burrows? And next year with the most likely addition of Colin White?

The door closed on this guy being on this team unfortunately. Holding on to him this year would have only served to lower his trade value.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011

Needs to be waived to be sent down and is definitely not better than our top 13 forwards right now, especially considering White will be coming up in a couple weeks.It was realistically either trading him or losing him on waivers.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
If you're looking at this trade I wouldn't get too hung up on Jokipakka. Unless you're a dope, it is very very clear Dorion was posturing for the 1st and settled for a 2nd. It's not like Calgary said "okay okay you can have a 1st or you can have Joki and a 2nd" and then Dorion jumped on the Joki deal. Jokipakka clear is a throw in here both because we can benefit from an 8th d and probably also to let Dorion save face without having to look like he caved and took a 2nd. My bet is, if we went back in time and made sure Jokipakka wasn't born so he doesn't exist, Dorion probably still does Lazar for a 2nd.

That doesn't mean there won't be potential positives from getting Jokipakka. Maybe he plays a few games for us if we have injuries. If he ends up putting it together here and becoming a long term NHLer, that's not really anything that should be put against Calgary, at this point he is a throw in. The best way to view this trade at this time is we moved Lazar for a (2017?) 2nd.

I'm fine with this trade, but I am not thrilled like some people. I guess it had to be done. I am not crazy enough to think Lazar has upside to be anything else other than a 3rd liner, but from CGYs perspective they moved a mid or late 2nd in a "terrible" draft for a guy whose odds of bouncing back and building on what he did in his first two years in the league are a lot greater than the odds of that pick being anything remotely useful.

If the pick ends up being a 2018 pick, that's really good. Calgary isn't a sure thing to make the playoffs every year so that pick could be a bit higher. Not only that, it puts off us having to use the pick for another whole year which grants us some versatility if we are in fact going "all in" over the next few years as we'll have another mid level asset to peddle.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Taking Jokiputki was more about dumping Kostka's salary and taking back who sounds like the worst player to have ever played ice hockey.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Going for tough, grindy guys with "intangibles" over skilled players almost never works out in the first round.

It was a mistake to choose Lazar over Mantha. You are better off picking Lazar-type guys in the 3rd or 4th rounds.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
Another LD. If we were just grabbing an AHL guy couldn't we have asked for a RD? Plus we sent one of the few we have away. Who's behind Wideman now?

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
I don't get why Lazar and Senators are completely avoiding the fact that JP Barry met with them and asked for Lazar to be traded.

When directly asked he said " that might have came up". no no no, it did come up and now he's traded. I don't get the spin on this one. I don't understand why it's being pushed away. that is what happened we all know it.

I'm tired of being lied to by NHL.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Jokipakka !

latest

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Guys I like this and I like the Burrows and Stalberg moves too. Come at at me bros.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad