Confirmed with Link: Lazar and Kostka for Jokipakka and a 2nd

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
Wasn't Jokipakka placed on waivers yesterday or the day before? 147 games in the NHL and that is largely because of the Stars not having anyone better at the time and the Flames giving him a fair shot after the Russell trade.

Yeah but Kostka has been brutal in the AHL. Rather have a brutal D who's 25 than a brutal D who's 32 or whatever he is. At least Jokipakka is salvageable.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
My take is that the Senators traded an under-achiever for a second round pick while obtaining another older under-achiever for a older Defenseman with limited upside and no potential. No big deal. Fairly even trade. I wish Curtis well and think he has potential to be a bottom six player someday.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Lots of hate for Lazar in here. Personally, I have no hate for him. I think I would if I felt he didn't try, but I feel he did. He just didn't have much success. I hope he does well in Calgary. If he does it will be funny to read all the comments about how we shouldn't have traded him.

:laugh:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Another LD. If we were just grabbing an AHL guy couldn't we have asked for a RD? Plus we sent one of the few we have away. Who's behind Wideman now?

If an injury to RD occurs, Phaneuf prefers to play the right side

Depending on who gets injured on the right side, here's the depth :

LD : Methot, Claesson, Borowiecki, Jokipakka/Englund/Harpur
RD : Karlsson, Phaneuf, Ceci, Wideman

You know Lazar could be still the property of the Sens if they just kept him in the AHL. Another example of the orgs lack of asset management.

Yeah? And what about waiver status next year?

I think that Lazar was traded just in time before his value plummets. The organization has much better prospects coming up

I don't think HFers in general understand asset management

He's still so young, Makes me wonder why Murray wanted to bring him up into the big leagues so quickly at age 19 or 20. He wasn't going to have some Crosby or Mackinnon type of impact on the organization so it seems kind of pointless but it is what it is

Simply because he was physically ready and his game was already mature enough for the NHL. He had the luxury to learn with the best of the best (games and practice). And frankly that's how you become good, not by showing you can dominate younger kids.

The thing here is that Lazar has been overrated all the way

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Too bad, I liked the kid and would have loved to have seen him reach his utmost potential. I wish him the best in Calgary.

If there are any lessons to learn about the failure of his development (or scouting if he was just never that good) then I hope we learn them and move on.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Lazar should be in bingo. This was a result of bad management imo

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I think that Lazar was traded just in time before his value plummets. The organization has much better prospects coming up

This trade was this year's version of Prince for a 3rd. Like Prince, Lazar was no longer waiver exempt so he had to either be put on the roster at the start of next season (or the rest of this season) or potentially be given away for free. Like Prince, Lazar no longer fit into his current team. Like Prince, Lazar arguably will go on to bring something to his new team and will have an opportunity to become worth more than what the team gave up for him but he wouldn't have had that chance had he stayed in Ottawa.

Sens very well may have sold high on Lazar, but if I were betting money I would say Calgary gets the better value out of this trade in the long run. That doesn't mean it was the wrong move, Boucher clearly was done with Lazar and we now have a significant amount of forwards in front of him.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Yeah? And what about waiver status next year?

Uh, unless my math is off, if he wasn't called up this year and went past the 160 game mark he would have been waiver exempt next year.

I don't think HFers in general understand waiver status nor asset management.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Dammit. Really wanted Lazar to stick. He will eventually turn into a really good 3rd liner, with the potential for 2nd line C of a wrecking-ball kind. I still see him reaching a Shane Doan-like potential.

He never had strong puck-handling skills, but it is a skill that can be developed to some degree as long as you have the athleticism.

I really really don't see this.

Pakka wasn't really part of the trade for Lazar. The Sens wanted a depth D and he had been waived but the Sens didn't pick him up for nothing because they wanted CGY to take a contract back. Kostka's is like them taking back 35% of Pakka's salary. Money is still an issue in Sens land.

It's not because you have money that you have to burn it. We are, of course, talking about real money here. Kostka was pretty much useless in Bingo this year and even a detriment. His salary was 325 K$ so even if you can save 70 K$ by getting rid of him, you do it. And just like that, you paid somebody's salary in the organization

Uh, unless my math is off, if he wasn't called up this year and went past the 160 game mark he would have been waiver exempt next year.

I don't think HFers in general understand waiver status nor asset management.

I didn't verify what would have been Lazar status if he had not been recalled earlier this season, nor do I care lol. The point is that it was probably the last time his trade value was that high. Getting a valuable asset for an asset that will depreciate fast in the near future is good asset management and I'm not a Dorion fan at all.

The mistake was to draft him with a 17th OA pick, however it's not like there was a ton of picks that could have been better from that range in that draft.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Solid trade.

Lazar is a good kid, and hopefully this trade allows him the chance to develop properly and restart his career. A 2nd round pick is fine.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I didn't verify what would have been Lazar status if he had not been recalled earlier this season, nor do I care lol. The point is that it was probably the last time his trade value was that high. Getting a valuable asset for an asset that will depreciate fast in the near future is good asset management and I'm not a Dorion fan at all.

The mistake was to draft him with a 17th OA pick, however it's not like there was a ton of picks that could have been better from that range in that draft.

Well then don't try to argue with facts when you don't even know them.

This is where I disagree. I don't think will be his lowest value. I still think he's going to be a solid NHL'er, albeit not as high as some would have hoped. It wasn't a mistake to draft him that high, as the draft wasn't very good. The mistake was letting his waiver exempt status go away for nothing, basically cornering management into a move. Did we really have to call him up this year? We complained there was no depth up until this point to the org, because moves like this make the depth disappear. Wouldn't it be better to have Lazar in the AHL in the backpocket for at least another year, instead of a 2nd rounder in a draft that is looking weaker than the year he was drafted?

lunadio

Feb 8, 2006
listen ton the 1200 radio talk with Dorion about 3/4 way threw when they were talking about White . I heard Dorion say yes by moving Lazar we can do something in the way of white this year . What does that mean ??????

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
listen ton the 1200 radio talk with Dorion about 3/4 way threw when they were talking about White . I heard Dorion say yes by moving Lazar we can do something in the way of white this year . What does that mean ??????

Well White's season could be done as soon as 2-3 weeks from now so Lazar being gone makes more room for White to play.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Lazar should be in bingo. This was a result of bad management imo

Would being in Bingo have increased his value? What if he continued his Bingo pace and ended up with 13 pts in 53 games in Bingo?, or even managed to double that and get up to Paul's level of production? Would we have gotten any more from him now or later?

I think he's got a shot at bouncing back, but with missing training camp and Mono, I thought this season was going to be a really tough one right from the start (though not this bad). Playing in bingo wouldn't have preserved his value, and I suspect he'd be in a similar situation next year; in danger of losing his spot on the depth chart to White.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Losing Lazar does open things up for White a bit down the stretch. They weren't going to trust Lazar anymore back at center, but they might trust White with the right help....

Dzingel - Turris - Stone
Hoffman - Brassard - Ryan
Smith - Pageau - Pyatt
Kelly - White - Burrows

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
As if commodore called this last night.

He also said a Iginla to Edmonton, Beleskey to Florida and Hansen to Chicago. Pretty sure he got a few others wrong too.

I don't know if he had sources, or if he was just guessing. He seems like a guy who likes to mess around, so he may have just been throwing **** at the wall. Either way, it was entertaining. #packyourbags

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
This trade was this year's version of Prince for a 3rd. Like Prince, Lazar was no longer waiver exempt so he had to either be put on the roster at the start of next season (or the rest of this season) or potentially be given away for free. Like Prince, Lazar no longer fit into his current team. Like Prince, Lazar arguably will go on to bring something to his new team and will have an opportunity to become worth more than what the team gave up for him but he wouldn't have had that chance had he stayed in Ottawa.

Sens very well may have sold high on Lazar, but if I were betting money I would say Calgary gets the better value out of this trade in the long run. That doesn't mean it was the wrong move, Boucher clearly was done with Lazar and we now have a significant amount of forwards in front of him.

It's not like Prince has been exactly that middle 6 winger sniping them we were hoping when we drafted him. I think moving Prince was the right move. Maybe a year from now, I'll be thinking the same about Lazar, but part of me wishes we gave him a full healthy offseason. This is very similar to my thoughts when we traded Prince to be honest, suggesting I'm over attached to our draftees.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Yeah but Kostka has been brutal in the AHL. Rather have a brutal D who's 25 than a brutal D who's 32 or whatever he is. At least Jokipakka is salvageable.

On his own, Jokkipakka is a 6/7 Dman. He will do reasonably well when paired with someone quick, but he didn't do very well when required to be played with guys like Engelland and Wideman. I honestly think he had difficulty playing with those two as one is another stay at home Dman and the other... slow and prone to defensive lapses. Pairing him with those guys might not have been a fair representation of what he was capable of.

IMO, it's better off you have him in the AHL. He will have time to develop further. As a 7th rounder, he was more project and crap shoot than legit expectation to reach the roster. I think he can carve out a decent career as a bottom pairing stay at home Dman.

IMO, another reason why Jokkipakka was moved is because we have another similar prospect in him in Tyler Wotherspoon. Those two play very similarly. We have no need to have more of that type of dman when we have other interesting prospects coming up as well.

I hope Jokkipakka figures things out. Good luck Sens fans.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Losing Lazar does open things up for White a bit down the stretch. They weren't going to trust Lazar anymore back at center, but they might trust White with the right help....

Dzingel - Turris - Stone
Hoffman - Brassard - Ryan
Smith - Pageau - Pyatt
Kelly - White - Burrows

I don't know about that, especially when Ryan returns there just doesn't look like their will be any room for White in the lineup. Why would they have traded for Stalberg if they weren't going to play him or Wingels another guy not in your lineup? I also don't see this coach playing a rookie over any of these guys unless it's a specific request to get White a few games so he will sign an ELC. And I doubt after listening to Dorion on the radio rave about getting Burrows that they will slot him onto the 4th line. White will likely play RW if he plays at all & I'm wondering who would sit so he can play? You would have to think one of the 4th liners.

Hoffman - Turris - Burrows
Smith - Brassard - Stone
Dzingel - Pageau - Ryan
Stalberg - Wingels - Pyatt
Kelly/Neil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad