Confirmed with Link: Lazar and Kostka for Jokipakka and a 2nd

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I don't know about that, especially when Ryan returns there just doesn't look like their will be any room for White in the lineup. Why would they have traded for Stalberg if they weren't going to play him or Wingels another guy not in your lineup? I also don't see this coach playing a rookie over any of these guys unless it's a specific request to get White a few games so he will sign an ELC. And I doubt after listening to Dorion on the radio rave about getting Burrows that they will slot him onto the 4th line. White will likely play RW if he plays at all & I'm wondering who would sit so he can play? You would have to think one of the 4th liners.

Hoffman - Turris - Burrows
Smith - Brassard - Stone
Dzingel - Pageau - Ryan
Stalberg - Wingels - Pyatt
Kelly/Neil

Unless White; Signs and then wows them in practice. I don't see him coming in
If he signs this spring; he will have to be open to playin in the AHL I am predicting.

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
On his own, Jokkipakka is a 6/7 Dman. He will do reasonably well when paired with someone quick, but he didn't do very well when required to be played with guys like Engelland and Wideman. I honestly think he had difficulty playing with those two as one is another stay at home Dman and the other... slow and prone to defensive lapses. Pairing him with those guys might not have been a fair representation of what he was capable of.

IMO, it's better off you have him in the AHL. He will have time to develop further. As a 7th rounder, he was more project and crap shoot than legit expectation to reach the roster. I think he can carve out a decent career as a bottom pairing stay at home Dman.

IMO, another reason why Jokkipakka was moved is because we have another similar prospect in him in Tyler Wotherspoon. Those two play very similarly. We have no need to have more of that type of dman when we have other interesting prospects coming up as well.

I hope Jokkipakka figures things out. Good luck Sens fans.

Right so 2 things I get from this post are: 1. The only way he draws into the lineup is if Boro is injured. A size and physicality replacement. It seems the only realistic D partner for him then is Chris Wideman. If anyone else was to be out of the lineup then Claesson would be the fill in.

2. At 25, how much more developing can he really do? He's gotta be very close if not at his potential right now so if he is in the AHL it is not because he needs more development, it's because he's just not an NHL D-man.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Unless White; Signs and then wows them in practice. I don't see him coming in
If he signs this spring; he will have to be open to playin in the AHL I am predicting.

That's what I think as well but he may force their hand & tell them that he wants to play a game or two this season in the NHL, if they want him to sign otherwise he could decide not to sign & maybe stay in school another yr & wait for free agency. Hopefully that won't happen but it's a possibility & he wouldn't be the first to do that if he has a particular destination in mind. Who knows but it will be an interesting story line to follow for the next month or so.

When does White have to sign/be on the roster, to be eligible to paly in the playoffs?

I think if he signs immediately after his school yr or hockey season is done he can sign & be eligible to play. I just don't think he will play in the playoffs over most of the guys they have now considering they traded for these guys specifically to get into the playoffs & play in the playoffs. But he may get a game or two before the playoffs if that was a signing condition.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Ottawa already own White's rights, so he can sign anytime I believe. The reason pizza name guy had to sign so quickly and have all the ts dotted and the i's crossed is because he had to be Sens property prior to the cutoff. By getting drafted previously, White even unsigned is on the Sens reserve list already (Someone correct me if I am off here).

Dorion seemed open to White playing in the NHL on TSN 1200 today. He said something like it isn't fair throwing a rookie to the wolves with how hard NHL games are this time of the year in the playoffs but they'd have to figure out where White thinks he is at/what he is comfortable with. (My words not his).

Ultimately, they can want to put him in the NHL, but it'll come down to Boucher's willingness to play him. Keep in mind, unless we're really lucky, we'll have injuries between now and whenever our season ends so it isn't like just because White isn't in our top 12 or 13 guys right now that he wouldn't for sure figure in. All of our top AHL players have already been called up and failed to stick at any point. Thinks can change with their performance but Boucher clearly isn't married to them.

If White signs during the regular season, I guarantee they will handshake on giving him one NHL game to burn off a year of his ELC. This seems to happen a lot with College prospects. It's both an advantage and disadvantage for Ottawa. Obviously we get a 2 year ELC VS a 3 because we waste 1 year on 1 game he didn't need to be in, but the advantage is that after 2 seasons+1 one game season he won't have enough games to qualify for an offer sheet (see Johnny Gaudreau).

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Flames fan, here're my thoughts on Jyrki:

I wouldn't characterize Jokipakka as a plug type D. He has a deadly wrister, decent offensive zone instincts including the occasional line-walk, and a very good stretch pass. Where he struggles is making short-area plays under pressure as PRIMARY puck handler as his skating is a bit clunkly.

Part of this is because Dallas and Calgary under Hartley both played an uptempo system that tried to skip the clean breakouts and go for jugular plays, and part of this is because he hasn't really had a great fit with a partner. The Jokipakka-Engelland pair just did not work and it was clear immediately.

I thought his best fit was with Jakub Nakladal last year, a guy who was better at moving the puck out and holding it in offensively. Together they posted 53.4% CF, 75% GF in about 85 minutes and they passed the eye test. Jokipakka is sort of a homeless man's Hjalmarsson skill-wise. The hope was that he could step his game up to "poor man's Hjalmarsson". And that may still happen.

If your team is willing to give him a chance to kill some penalties, keep his game simple by being the secondary puck handler on the breakout (like Shea Weber when he was paired with Josi/Suter), and a bit of an offensive zone start push then you yourselves a guy who can chip in offensively and be steady defensively. I would still put his upside at a decent #4 with a bit more time. He and Hamilton were not completely terrible together as a second pair but the inexperience of both compounded. I thought a Jokipakka-Brodie pair was worth exploring but Gulutzan has been very intent on keeping Brodie on the left side.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com

I wouldn't characterize Jokipakka as a plug type D. He has a deadly wrister, decent offensive zone instincts including the occasional line-walk, and a very good stretch pass. Where he struggles is making short-area plays under pressure as PRIMARY puck handler as his skating is a bit clunkly.

Part of this is because Dallas and Calgary under Hartley both played an uptempo system that tried to skip the clean breakouts and go for jugular plays, and part of this is because he hasn't really had a great fit with a partner. The Jokipakka-Engelland pair just did not work and it was clear immediately.

I thought his best fit was with Jakub Nakladal last year, a guy who was better at moving the puck out and holding it in offensively. Together they posted 53.4% CF, 75% GF in about 85 minutes and they passed the eye test. Jokipakka is sort of a homeless man's Hjalmarsson skill-wise. The hope was that he could step his game up to "poor man's Hjalmarsson". And that may still happen.

If your team is willing to give him a chance to kill some penalties, keep his game simple by being the secondary puck handler on the breakout (like Shea Weber when he was paired with Josi/Suter), and a bit of an offensive zone start push then you yourselves a guy who can chip in offensively and be steady defensively. I would still put his upside at a decent #4 with a bit more time. He and Hamilton were not completely terrible together as a second pair but the inexperience of both compounded. I thought a Jokipakka-Brodie pair was worth exploring but Gulutzan has been very intent on keeping Brodie on the left side.

Appreciate the info!

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010

Thanks.

Might be worth trying him out with Wideman. Did he work with your Wideman?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Thanks.

Might be worth trying him out with Wideman. Did he work with your Wideman?

The only guys on Calgary who 'worked' with Wideman was Russell two years back, and when Brodie was carrying his carcass all over the ice :laugh:

Just to build on what OKG said; Jyrki is hit or miss. He's a #6 that needs someone to carry the play, so he can stick to being somewhat physical and making simple plays. When he was playing with Dougie Hamilton, he looked good... because Hamilton's a first pairing guy who elevated Jyrki.

After about 5 games into the season, he was likely Calgary's best Dman, simply because he was playing 12 minutes a night and not hurting the team (which could not be said about anyone else). Once everyone else found their ground he quickly got plugged into the back. His CF% is an actual representation of when he played; with Engelland those two were consistently hemmed into their own side and having some major problems exiting the zone. It was a surefire way for the Flames to either lose their mojo, or get scored on. There were many times in the year that right after a 3rd pairing shift (like a minute to minute of a half in our zone) that we lost all flow and surrendered a goal.

He's not a bad player, he's not a good player. More or less an NHL/AHL tweener on a representative contract. There's a reason he was moved twice in the past two years.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
The only guys on Calgary who 'worked' with Wideman was Russell two years back, and when Brodie was carrying his carcass all over the ice :laugh:

Just to build on what OKG said; Jyrki is hit or miss. He's a #6 that needs someone to carry the play, so he can stick to being somewhat physical and making simple plays. When he was playing with Dougie Hamilton, he looked good... because Hamilton's a first pairing guy who elevated Jyrki.

After about 5 games into the season, he was likely Calgary's best Dman, simply because he was playing 12 minutes a night and not hurting the team (which could not be said about anyone else). Once everyone else found their ground he quickly got plugged into the back. His CF% is an actual representation of when he played; with Engelland those two were consistently hemmed into their own side and having some major problems exiting the zone. It was a surefire way for the Flames to either lose their mojo, or get scored on. There were many times in the year that right after a 3rd pairing shift (like a minute to minute of a half in our zone) that we lost all flow and surrendered a goal.

He's not a bad player, he's not a good player. More or less an NHL/AHL tweener on a representative contract. There's a reason he was moved twice in the past two years.

Thanks. Sounds about what I am expecting. We have 3 of those guys now :laugh:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Thanks. Sounds about what I am expecting. We have 3 of those guys now :laugh:

As of today, Lazar and the second are the two most valuable pieces. Jyrki, in a lot of ways, was a throw in piece for Ottawa.

Maybe there are some scouts that see more in him? He's still fairly young, with size and has shown to have some ability. :dunno: I hope Sens get a good second rounder and Lazar rounds out Calgary's bottom 6.

jasonjim

Nov 1, 2006
OTTAWA
I think sometime in the future when Lazar regains his confidence and mojo that it will be very obvious that Lazar should have been retained in the system for his potential and leadership. They didn't give him a half decent chance to succeed. In fact they ruined him.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Disagree.

Lazar dominated Junior because, in no small part, of his physical maturity.

He has no hands, he will never be a point getter.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
I think sometime in the future when Lazar regains his confidence and mojo that it will be very obvious that Lazar should have been retained in the system for his potential and leadership. They didn't give him a half decent chance to succeed. In fact they ruined him.

Yup. Totally mismanaged. He should be playing his second full season in Bingo - no way we should have had that kid waiver eligible at this point in his career. Shouldn't even be in the NHL. Should have been another year of junior and then a couple of years in the AHL. We blew it. He's going to be a very good NHLer in his late 20s. Not some gamebreaker or anything, but I still think he is going to be a Dustin Brown-ish type of guy who is a load and chips in 15 goals/35 points and does everything right. Hope the Sens can score with that 2nd they got for him - going to have to be a good pick if he's as good a prospect as Lazar. Unfortunate situation where they painted themselves into the corner.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008

In all fairness, this isn't too far off where I put Lazar's value. I see Curtis as a potential good two-way 3rd liner at his ceiling, middling AHLer at his floor.

Jyrki here sounds potentially serviceable if he can shore up his skating and defence a bit. Obviously it will take a bit of luck to get him there. Safe player for a project with a potentially slightly higher ceiling.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: