Confirmed with Link: Landy suspended 4 games

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
The problem isn't that he is a repeat offender in general. It is that he did the exact same thing. They can't suspend him less or even the same for the exact same thing. This wasn't as bad, but he cross checked someone in the head. He has himself to blame. It was a player that was already completely out of the play. So he went out of his way to cross check him in the head. Stupid.

Reactions: Avs71

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Landy had better get the message this time. Next one will be 5+ no matter what it is because he's a repeat offender. The CBA lets them do basically whatever they want to player who fall under that category. This better be the last time he does stupid shit like this because this team cannot afford to lose him.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
He's 4 games out of the line up as a first line winger, lets hope Mackinnon and Rantanen can step it up a notch.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Awful decision. The play deserved a penalty in the game, maybe a major. Landy was going to get suspended but 4 games just seems absurd. One made sense, two was acceptable, but four is way too many for a much more incidental play than any of his other suspensions. Can't believe he is going to be out for the rest of this homestand. This is a seriously important few games to set the ton for the rest of the first half.

Reactions: Foppberg

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Technically, Landy isn't a repeat offender. That is only 18 months and it has been longer than that since Landy was last suspended. I get that is a technicality, but that is what the rules are and the NHL should stick with them. They shouldn't be treating Landy any different than they would MacK, by their own rules. I think the play was dumb and deserved a penalty (and I think it was worthy of a major)... I don't think it was worth anywhere near 4 games. 1 I wouldn't agree, but would completely get the logic. 2 kinda the same as 1, but pushing it. 3 is overboard. 4 isn't what it should be. Gudbranson got 1 game for his boarding. Wilson got 4 for his (which was less than 2 weeks after his 2 game suspension). IMO both of those hits were worse than Landy's crosscheck. I'll be more okay with this if this standard is held across the league.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Technically, Landy isn't a repeat offender. That is only 18 months and it has been longer than that since Landy was last suspended. I get that is a technicality, but that is what the rules are and the NHL should stick with them. They shouldn't be treating Landy any different than they would MacK, by their own rules. I think the play was dumb and deserved a penalty (and I think it was worthy of a major)... I don't think it was worth anywhere near 4 games. 1 I wouldn't agree, but would completely get the logic. 2 kinda the same as 1, but pushing it. 3 is overboard. 4 isn't what it should be. Gudbranson got 1 game for his boarding. Wilson got 4 for his (which was less than 2 weeks after his 2 game suspension). IMO both of those hits were worse than Landy's crosscheck. I'll be more okay with this if this standard is held across the league.

What is a "Repeat Offender"?

A Player is considered a repeat offender for 18 months following his most recent incident that resulted in a suspension. His status as a repeat offender in this category is used to determine the amount of salary forfeited should he receive another suspension.

It is important to note that even if a Player is not defined as a repeat offender, his past history may come into consideration when determining future Supplemental Discipline.

Department of Player Safety FAQs

So they can still consider his history.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Landy had better get the message this time. Next one will be 5+ no matter what it is because he's a repeat offender. The CBA lets them do basically whatever they want to player who fall under that category. This better be the last time he does stupid **** like this because this team cannot afford to lose him.
6 or more can go to a natural arbiter and nobody wants that so it won't be more than 5

falconski

Unregistered User
Jan 21, 2008
Daters having a pretty solid twitter tantrum about tkachuk now, hopefully he starts of neiderreiter next (since the league won’t)

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
NHL continues to hate the Avs, not even surprised at this point. Next 4 games are going to be big for the guys can they fight through this adversity or will they crumble?

mackinnon29

Nov 24, 2017
While I agree with him being suspended, 4 games was to much there has been so many missed calls, goals taken back, etc against the avs. 2 games was fair because the repeat offender point is off him by 2 weeks. Other players not suspended at all or fined for worst then he done. Luke witkowski got 10 for coming back on the ice there's still to many holes DOPS

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Complete and utter BS.

Tkachuk is a known diver and embellisher, and his rolling around on the ice like he was shot will cost Landy over $100k in forfeited salary.

Does he look at all hurt after he gets up off the ice faking an injury? He sees they have the puck and instantly jumps back into the play. Doesn't change when his line mates do. Doesn't wince or lean over after the whistle is finally blown. Doesn't miss a shift afterward. Is out on the ensuing power play. Didn't get pulled for concussion protocol, and seemingly is fine.

Reactions: MacBradley

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I know no one here is a fan of how long this suspension is, but not much we can do about it now. I for one am very intrigued to see how our team holds up without our captain and leading goal scorer. I'm very intrigued to see if a rookie can step up and fill the void or if this will be the turning point in our season.

I'd really like to see lines of:

Kerfoot-MacKinnon-Rantanen
Nieto-Sodaberg-Comeau
Andrighetto-Compher-Jost
Wilson-Toninato-Yakupov

Now is a great time to give Kerfoot a chance to see if he can play as a top line winger and potentially give us an elite strictly offensive first line as well as giving a chance for Landy to play with Compher and Jost when he's back.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
4 games are more than Tkachuk got in total for all the bs he already did in his young career. What a joke. Still glad Landeskog did it. Somebody has to punish that guy or he'll soon be worse than Marchand.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Complete and utter BS.

Tkachuk is a known diver and embellisher, and his rolling around on the ice like he was shot will cost Landy over $100k in forfeited salary.

Does he look at all hurt after he gets up off the ice faking an injury? He sees they have the puck and instantly jumps back into the play. Doesn't change when his line mates do. Doesn't wince or lean over after the whistle is finally blown. Doesn't miss a shift afterward. Is out on the ensuing power play. Didn't get pulled for concussion protocol, and seemingly is fine.

He got cross checked in the face. I don't doubt he felt pain, but how can you fault him for jumping back into the play after getting up? Players can get high sticked or block shots and get "hurt" but then get right back into the play. This is no different. You can't cross check players in the face. It's moronic and reckless.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Oh well, here we go again, sad that this has become a theme with our captain and a guy who is a spokesperson for head trauma. Hopefully one of these days he reigns it in and stops with dumb moves like this one, he's just hurting himself and more importantly the team.

Reactions: JoemAvs

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
He got cross checked in the face. I don't doubt he felt pain, but how can you fault him for jumping back into the play after getting up? Players can get high sticked or block shots and get "hurt" but then get right back into the play. This is no different. You can't cross check players in the face. It's moronic and reckless.

I don't fault him getting back in the play, I fault him for the bad acting job he did rolling around on the ice. I don't care what anyone says, him rolling around on the ice like that on HNIC played a factor in Landeskog getting 4 games.

People who get high sticked or block shots don't roll around on the ice holding their face, and then get up and instantly act like nothing happened. They get up, labor around the ice, try to get off if they get the chance, and after the play is stopped they hunch over or react in some fashion to the pain. Tkachuk did none of that. It's a clear embellishment from a known embellisher.

If it looked at all intentional, I'd say it doesn't matter, but he's clearly just trying to shove him into the net, and play him tough but he starts to look toward the puck carrier and his stick missed his shoulder. It's reckless and a penalty no doubt. Maybe one game at most. Four games is an absolute joke.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I don't fault him getting back in the play, I fault him for the bad acting job he did rolling around on the ice. I don't care what anyone says, him rolling around on the ice like that on HNIC played a factor in Landeskog getting 4 games.

People who get high sticked or block shots don't roll around on the ice holding their face, and then get up and instantly act like nothing happened. They get up, labor around the ice, try to get off if they get the chance, and after the play is stopped they hunch over or react in some fashion to the pain. Tkachuk did none of that. It's a clear embellishment from a known embellisher.

If it looked at all intentional, I'd say it doesn't matter, but he's clearly just trying to shove him into the net, and play him tough but he starts to look toward the puck carrier and his stick missed his shoulder. It's reckless and a penalty no doubt. Maybe one game at most. Four games is an absolute joke.

The embellishment brought the crosscheck to light, but when you get cross-checked in the face there will be some sort of reaction. The only way Landy could've gotten away scot-free is if Tkachuk was able to completely ignore the cross-check, which isn't a normal reaction.

The 4 games is from his previous suspension incidents and a very similar play against Despres. It's tough, but fair and i'd rather Landeskog get suspended for 4 then get a small fine. Maybe this will cause him to cut the crap out of his game.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Probably excessive considering all the knee on knee, slew footing they let go over and over. Plus it didn't strike me that Landeskog intentionally lined up his face for the cross check. Seemed like he was pounding away at his shoulders and he feel down. Oh well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad