Confirmed with Link: Landy suspended 4 games

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Yeah I disagree with that.
Between Zadorov smashing people (most of the time clean but sometimes borderline), EJ tomahawking other players and Landeskogs antics, the Avs are not a "clean" team. We are middle of the pack when it comes to that if not worse.

I know you love that playstyle and want to see more of that but I am on the opposite end of the spectrum and very much dislike it.

Avs might be mentally soft (they certainly are). But they certainly don't usually get bullied around physically more than other teams.

You're not a fan of physical hockey?

raistlin76

Sep 18, 2004
Cracow
www.nhl.com.pl
I think you guys are coming to the wrong conclusions here...

- Landeskog did NOT get suspended four games because of the action of the play.
- Landeskog got suspended four games because he is a repeat offender.

I am liking this DOPS with Parros much more than other times in the past NHL history (yeah you guys can hate me). Tkachuk can sell it all he wants, a crosscheque in the neck/side of the head is completely unacceptable, especially when Landeskog preformed like three cross-cheques on Matt before getting him in the face.
Right now repeat offender only means he would pay twice as much as first time offender, so instead of 119000 dollars 238000 from his salary. He has history as he has been suspended twice before for two and three games. Looks like he always gets one more game. Hope DOPS will punish guys like Wilson and those who run through goalies harder than they are doing now. I would give Gabe two or three games. Four looks a bit harsh in comparison to other suspensions and fines.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
It's excessive but NHL always liked to go hard on some players to make an example. Unfortunately for Landeskog he's that type of guy now, after the Despres thing.

It's official Andrighetto trade value buff watch for a while now.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
You're not a fan of physical hockey?

No.
Not if it crosses a line. Which Landy certainly did here.

And even if it doesn't, I am not as amped up by a huge hit as others. Especially when it comes to headshots.

I know too much about concussions and seen too many promising careers ruined by injuries to cheer for it just because it is not the player on my team that is on the receiving end.
I could have done without Orpik laying out Kamenev for example even though it was perfectly clean.

Hitting is part of hockey and I accept that. It will never be close to my favorite part but it is here to stay and "Kamenev situations" will continue to happen in the future.

But headshots (and unnecessary fights) are hopefully not.
NHL has to do what it can to eliminate these before it is too late.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
It's excessive but NHL always liked to go hard on some players to make an example. Unfortunately for Landeskog he's that type of guy now, after the Despres thing.

It's official Andrighetto trade value buff watch for a while now.
In all seriousness, with everyone healthy something has to give. We aren't shining with an abundance of elite players or anything, but we have a logjam of averageness in our lineup after the top line. Guys like Jost and Compher aren't going anywhere.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Well...let's see what these guys are made of without their captain. Both MacKinnon and Rantanen were struggling until Landeskog was put on their line and they suddenly woke up. They'll have to keep going with Ghetto and frankly that line should still work.

As for the suspension, I feel it's excessive but I also think Landy was WAY outta line there. He needs to strike a balance between being a big, tough, physical player and being the next Shane Doan.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
My issue with this is that it hits close to home. He's my favorite player on the entire planet but I come down hard on him because he lets me down when he does things like this. He's such a spokesman for head injuries and talks about getting it out of the game yet he always does stupid shit like this. My life completely changed due to concussions. My career, the way I speak verbally, the anxiety I feel daily and the way I carry out daily enjoyable activities all changed drastically because of head trauma and I just get super pissed when I see players do shit like this. Especially one you root for so hard.

So while everyone is complaining about the length of the suspension a player got for literally beating another guy in the jaw with the shaft of his hockey stick, I think more along the lines of how we're finally seeing a step in the right direction in getting the garbage out of the sport.

DanishAvsfan

Aug 27, 2007
Reckless play no doubt. He is the captain and he should not be putting his team mates in this position. Not to mention it is a terrible example to younger players. I hope this does not impact his play too much going forward. I would hate to see him being hesistant out there.

Rumplesnipeskin

Bar Down
Nov 30, 2011
Colorado
I’m fine seeing them go tough on something like this - good to send a message that no one will receive leniency, plays like that have no place in the game. He was going to get multiple games anyhow, so they may as well err on the side of setting an example and drawing a line in the sand

hoserthehorrible

Jul 15, 2003
Colorado
Cross checks to the body in and around the net and along the boards happens all the time in just about every game. Landy is certainly responsible for his own stick but it didn't look intentional to me so I'm a bit surprised by the four game suspension.

Maybe intent doesn't matter when it comes to a suspension but it looked to me like Landy was cross checking the guy in the body and the last one basically missed and hit him in the head. If Landy had skated up to the kid and just flat out crossed checked him in the face I'd say their was intent for sure but it doesn't look like that was his intent.

Four games seems a bit stiff to me.

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
Cross checks to the body in and around the net and along the boards happens all the time in just about every game. Landy is certainly responsible for his own stick but it didn't look intentional to me so I'm a bit surprised by the four game suspension.

Maybe intent doesn't matter when it comes to a suspension but it looked to me like Landy was cross checking the guy in the body and the last one basically missed and hit him in the head. If Landy had skated up to the kid and just flat out crossed checked him in the face I'd say their was intent for sure but it doesn't look like that was his intent.

Four games seems a bit stiff to me.

See this is where I’m at too. It looks, to me, that the last one was a complete accident because Tkachuck was falling into the net and Gabe wasn’t even looking and was looking at the play. Obviously he needs to still be held accountable but there was ZERO intent to hit him in the face and that needs to be taken into account. The last one looked soft to me anyhow. Tkachuck hasn’t even played a full year (?) and is a piece of shit, IMO. Slashing that Detroit player as he headed off the ice is bush league.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
It wasn't an accident. He obviously meant to crosscheck. But it looks like Landeskog was looking for the puck when he delivered the last crosscheck, so he might have expected to get shoulder. That's not an excuse of course. You are responsible for your stick.

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
It wasn't an accident. He obviously meant to crosscheck. But it looks like Landeskog was looking for the puck when he delivered the last crosscheck, so he might have expected to get shoulder. That's not an excuse of course. You are responsible for your stick.

I just think that if there was clear intent, as a repeat offender, sure give him 4 games. You can’t just it look the repeat offender part and ignore all the other facts.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Meh....no problems with the length of this at all. Especially considering Landy's previous suspensions. At the end of the day, I believe I'll still be asking for the same thing I've always asked from DOPS...consistency. I really hope Parros fares better than his predecessors in this regard.

Reactions: 5280

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I just think that if there was clear intent, as a repeat offender, sure give him 4 games. You can’t just it look the repeat offender part and ignore all the other facts.
There was clear intent though....he cross-checked the dude several times. Yeah, he probably wasn't trying to injure the player but he was intending to cross-check him....multiple times on the same play. You have to combine that with the fact that he did cross check the dude in the face and then notice his previous suspensions and 4 games is actually about right. What DOPS absolutely SHOULD NOT do is look at the player who was being hit and base the suspension on that (I don't care if it is an an asshat like Tkachuck, a star player like Crosby, a 4th line 27 year old playing in his first NHL game or if he was injured or not)...it's the hit and the infractions that need to be taken out of the game. Get rid of these hits and the injuries will be reduced significantly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad