Confirmed with Link: Landy suspended 4 games

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
The embellishment brought the crosscheck to light, but when you get cross-checked in the face there will be some sort of reaction. The only way Landy could've gotten away scot-free is if Tkachuk was able to completely ignore the cross-check, which isn't a normal reaction.

I don't think that's the case, and this play from last season proves that. Trouba gives Duchene a forearm shiver to the head that chips Duchene's tooth, and gives him a concussion that causes him to miss four games.

Despite that, and despite the leagues so called concern for hits to the head, Trouba didn't get a penalty, fine, or suspension on the play.

Meanwhile Tkachuk does his acting job rolling around on the ice, but is seemingly fine and uninjured, and Landeskog gets suspended 4 games.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
He cross checked a guy in the head, if it was the other way around you lot would be whining like crazy. Let's call spade a spade, the league isn't out to get us, Landeskog is a dirty player with bad reputation (deservedly so) and I find it puzzling how a guy who is so smart in terms of hockey IQ can be so dumb when it comes to stuff like this and repedetly cost his team by pulling dumb stuff like this.

Thanks for sharing us your honest opinion about the Captain.

Personally I think it's correct to punish Landy but it was a bit exaggerated. Landy has to learn playing tough without doing these things. I'm not really sure he was really aiming for the head to start with but he was being careless.

Last edited:

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
He cross checked a guy in the head, if it was the other way around you lot would be whining like crazy. Let's call spade a spade, the league isn't out to get us, Landeskog is a dirty player with bad reputation (deservedly so) and I find it puzzling how a guy who is so smart in terms of hockey IQ can be so dumb when it comes to stuff like this and repedetly cost his team by pulling dumb stuff like this.

Personally, I am not upset with the 4-game suspension. Like you said, it was a cross-check to another players' head.

What pisses me off the most is that if Landeskog was wearing a different jersey, he would have likely got away with just a fine or 1 game depending on what team it was. I'd love to believe that it's an even playing field for all teams but the evidence is overwhelming that it's clearly not. I've seen plays like the one Landeskog made on Tkachuk by other players from other teams go completely unsuspended.

What about when that dick-head mcquaid cross-checked Jost in the numbers 4 feet away from the boards? Anything? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? That's a dangerous play that actually caused an injury.

When do the Avs EVER 'get away with one'?? Goal reviews always go against us...a player slightly touches the goalies' glove and then 2 minutes later, we score....oh the slight tap on his glove must have had a psychological affect that eventually prevented him from making the save....NO GOAL!! Remember earlier in the season, that garbage review on the rebound goal off the end boards that went in off Khudobin....it was a 20 second review that was 'inconclusive'. Yeah right...we could see the puck cross the line AT HOME! Meanwhile, it takes a 5 minute review for them to come up with excuses why our goals should be disallowed! Sometimes, they just disallow them and figure they can apologize for it the next day anyways.

The Landeskog suspension isn't surprising, he just never gets away with ANYTHING unlike a lot of other player who play the same type of game that get away with EVERYTHING. Jamie Benn comes to mind. I think the league office has a big, flashing red phone labelled 'The Benn-Phone" so they can have a direct line to their BFF.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
Four games is about right. I would not have argued with 5. Shots to the head are a big no-no. Don't care what team the giver or the taker is playing for, that crap is not a part of hockey. Landy was staring straight at Tkachuk's face as he slammed his stick into it. He may have been aiming for shoulder, but he got cheek. As a player with a history, and a previous suspension for another crosscheck to a face, he deserved all the games he got.

As for Tkachuk's theatrics...that probably deserved a fine. As it stands, Landy needs to ask him to dance the next time they play. Kid should be willing...payback for a dirty hit is warranted. And Landy should want to teach the kid that acting is for the stage, not the ice.

But it should have zero bearing on the suspension. Ditto the fact that he was not really hurt. The only way to start making a dent in the dangerous plays is to penalize the danger. Not the intent. And not the injury. Guys accidently makes a dangerous play outside the rules but hte victim is fine, hammer the offender anyway. Guy gets injured as part of a clean play...that's hockey. (Arguing what "should" be a clean play is a different discussion). Even if a guy gets a freak injury for a pretty routine penalty (Crosby cutting a dudes fingertip off...bad luck on a routine slash), call the minor and move on.

As for what the rules should be...not many changes needed IMO. Just call the rulebook as it stands. No more of this horseshit "let them play." A penalty is a penalty, the rules are pretty clear on most of them, so call them. And I do not care what the score of the game is, nor what is on the clock. A penalty at 0-0 in the first is still a penalty at 3-3 in OT. A none of the crap about refs effecting the outcome....the player commit the penalty is the one doing that, the ref is just calling him on it according to the rules. This may be harsh, but why the hell have rules if they are subjective and not always enforced. As long as the game is call by the book for both teams, the ref is not effecting the outcome...the players are.

The one set of changes I would make is allow the PP team to score as many times as they can. Also, beef up the severity of the dangerous plays...boarding is always 5, blood drawn is 5, etc.

Reactions: 2bowhunt

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
The NHL really does play favorites. 4 games for Landeskog, waving off good goals... whats the count on that now? 3-4 for the year?

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I don't think that's the case, and this play from last season proves that. Trouba gives Duchene a forearm shiver to the head that chips Duchene's tooth, and gives him a concussion that causes him to miss four games.

Despite that, and despite the leagues so called concern for hits to the head, Trouba didn't get a penalty, fine, or suspension on the play.

Meanwhile Tkachuk does his acting job rolling around on the ice, but is seemingly fine and uninjured, and Landeskog gets suspended 4 games.

Last year Pronger was still the head of the DoPS, this year it's Parros. Season is still fairly young, but Parros has been pretty consistent.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I don't fault him getting back in the play, I fault him for the bad acting job he did rolling around on the ice. I don't care what anyone says, him rolling around on the ice like that on HNIC played a factor in Landeskog getting 4 games.

People who get high sticked or block shots don't roll around on the ice holding their face, and then get up and instantly act like nothing happened. They get up, labor around the ice, try to get off if they get the chance, and after the play is stopped they hunch over or react in some fashion to the pain. Tkachuk did none of that. It's a clear embellishment from a known embellisher.

If it looked at all intentional, I'd say it doesn't matter, but he's clearly just trying to shove him into the net, and play him tough but he starts to look toward the puck carrier and his stick missed his shoulder. It's reckless and a penalty no doubt. Maybe one game at most. Four games is an absolute joke.
Or, and hear me out on this one, maybe it's the fact that he CROSS CHECKED A GUY IN THE FACE and has done it before. Maybe, just maybe, the league is trying to send a message to Landeskog to stop doing this?

Reactions: Ivan13

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
NHL under Bettman is 1 big joke period

I would like to agree with you but to be honest, I doubt many of the posters in this forum can really remember an NHL not under Bettman as a reference point. Hell, Andrighetto, Compher, Jost, Kamenev, Kerfoot, MacKinnon, Rantanen, Toninato, Yakupov, Bigras, Girard, Lindholm, Mironov and Zadorov were all born AFTER he took over. Hell, the Avs oldest player Soderberg was only 8 when Bettman became Commish back in Feb of 93.

There's a lot of things I hate Bettman for (mostly his love affair with lockouts) but Landeskog's suspension is NOT one of them.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Or, and hear me out on this one, maybe it's the fact that he CROSS CHECKED A GUY IN THE FACE and has done it before. Maybe, just maybe, the league is trying to send a message to Landeskog to stop doing this?

Or, just hear me out on this, just like everything in this world, that's not the ONLY factor. You know common sense based on the evidence. Otherwise Trouba couldn't get away scott free with hitting an Avalanche player in the head and concussing him for four games.

Somehow Trouba's play is worth 0 games and no penalty under Pronger, yet three months later in the same season he does pretty much the same thing to an Ottawa player and gets suspended 2 games.

Now Parros deems this unintentional play as worthy of 4 games despite Tkahcuk embellishing and being uninjured. There's that big a discrepancy, and the only reason is because Landy has cross checked someone in the head before? Yeah, I got a bridge for you too.

Just to review:

This play resulted in a concussion for Duchene who missed 4 games, and got no penalty, no fine, and 0 games suspension.

Same player (Trouba) three months later on a pretty similar play against Ottawa gets him suspended for 2 games.

Dubisnky cross checks Crosby to the head, and gets 1 game suspension. No concussion, no missed games.

Three and half months later in the same season, Landeskog gets suspended 3 games for a similar play. No concussion, no missed games.

An intentional and dangerous cross check to the back of Couture's head, gets Hoffman suspended only 2 games.

No fine, no suspension. Crosby missed one game with a concussion.

No fine, no suspension.

No penalty, no fine, no suspension.

Seemingly no injury or concussion, clear embellishment from a known diver, Landeskog suspended 4 games.

Last edited:

Upperdeckjet

Dec 14, 2011
Much respect to Landeskog for the accountability in his interview. Still glad he's out for the game on Wednesday. Good luck guys!

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Although the length seems a little long to me, I’m ok with the suspension. You can’t go cross checking dudes In the head.

The only thing that bothers me as I’m sure it does everybody else is the consistency of these suspensions. Hopefully Parros will do a better job than his predecessors.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
That's all anyone can ask of the DOPS at this point. Simple consistency. Seems like there has been a lot of turnover at the top of that department over the last 5 years or so though. Would be nice to see Parros get the gig for multiple years to see if that would help with some of the issues in consistency.

I've got other crazy ideas that the NHLPA would never go for though...Increase fines severely but instead of putting a dollar amount on them set them as a percent of annual salary with the fine increasing each successive time a player is penalized. Will never happen though but it would level the playing field between scrubs and high end players. Some of these guys probably drop more on dinner than they get fined at times just due to making 5M+ a year. The current fine system is truly a joke.

member 116861

I don't disagree with 4 games but the whole consistency, and Tkachuk selling it more than a pro wrestler, I agree with.

Reactions: MacBradley

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Or, just hear me out on this, just like everything in this world, that's not the ONLY factor. You know common sense based on the evidence. Otherwise Trouba couldn't get away scott free with hitting an Avalanche player in the head and concussing him for four games.

Somehow Trouba's play is worth 0 games and no penalty under Pronger, yet three months later in the same season he does pretty much the same thing to an Ottawa player and gets suspended 2 games.

Now Parros deems this unintentional play as worthy of 4 games despite Tkahcuk embellishing and being uninjured. There's that big a discrepancy, and the only reason is because Landy has cross checked someone in the head before? Yeah, I got a bridge for you too.

Just to review:

This play resulted in a concussion for Duchene who missed 4 games, and got no penalty, no fine, and 0 games suspension.

Same player (Trouba) three months later on a pretty similar play against Ottawa gets him suspended for 2 games.

Dubisnky cross checks Crosby to the head, and gets 1 game suspension. No concussion, no missed games.

Three and half months later in the same season, Landeskog gets suspended 3 games for a similar play. No concussion, no missed games.

An intentional and dangerous cross check to the back of Couture's head, gets Hoffman suspended only 2 games.

No fine, no suspension. Crosby missed one game with a concussion.

No fine, no suspension.

No penalty, no fine, no suspension.

Seemingly no injury or concussion, clear embellishment from a known diver, Landeskog suspended 4 games.

You pretty much summed up, my feelings in one post. I don't have a problem with suspending a player who does something stupid. It's just the consistency in which the suspensions are determined is absolutely ridiculous.

Similar plays get different lengths. Some obviously dangerous plays get nothing. Landy deserved to get something, but I feel like the league kind of gave him a bit of a screw job.

Reactions: MacBradley

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
We seem to get screwed all the time , I guess we had our glory years , wish this team would move back to Quebec

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad