GDT: LAME DAY THREAD: 11 Feb 2013 - Wild @ Flames - FSN+ - 8PM

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Suter looked very good tonight.

Granny looked good, hope he continues to climb.

Nice for Brodzy to get that one- great eyes by Seto.

Backs played strong.

We really could use Spurgeon to make some cerebral plays that Stoner and Falk just never make.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
Can't wait to see if Spurgeon is back tomorrow.

Would be awesome.

Oh, agreed 100% Spurgy back is going to be huge.

I hope he and Gilbert play with eachother...

Move Stoned down to play with Prosser/Scandella/Falk

I think Spurgys underrated defensively and offensively/breaking out he's probably the best we've got. It'll be great to have a top 4 that I trust decently to have a little poise with the puck..

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
We're an OT PP away from this being the 6th game in a row with just one goal.

It is very concerning. It's a stumper- I am not sure how to explain it. It seems like we don't get enough shots from the point, enough bodies driving to the net- and we also have this knack to get just inches away from scoring...over and over, but not finish.

A few games like that- bad luck, spell.

Lots of games like that- there is a more substantial reason.

J Bert

Jan 31, 2013
Thought Suter played pretty well. I think his ice time, and the fact that viewers always have their eyes on the guy, account for his ill-comments at times. Suter does need to rip that pass from Granny in OT. Great setup.

Not sure how these lines need to shake out, but Heater just is not contributing. PMB with low minutes (11:30) tonight. He may be struggling a little, but his skill-set needs to be utilized IMO. Personally I'd love to see a Butch-Granny-Coyle line. Seto could still really contribute on the third. Heater back on the top line.

Beegoalie

Dec 21, 2011
Pominville Minnesota
Not so much a knock on Coyle...His game is progressing and he looks like he has a solid future in the NHL but 4 games in 20 shifts a game playing with Koivu and Parise and top PP and he hasn't managed anything as far as the stat sheet goes.

In that time we haven't scored more than one goal in regulation with him on the team.

Coyle will be a good top 6 NHL forward..just not this season. Remember he hasn't exactly lit up the AHL..thats not saying I think he has been a bad player in Houston or in his 4 games he just hasn't produced to a level we need a top line player to produce. As far as our options go Heatley and PMB would be much better on that top line. Even Seto might be a better solution if they are going to keep Granlund at 2C.

Teddy10Beers

Dec 31, 2011
Minnesota
So ... Yeo pulled PMB from the PP unit. Can't blame him as PMB looks ill-suited for the point on the PP. Not much purpose in playing PMB on the 4th line if he isn't also playing on either PP unit. Would rather see Mitchell on the 4th line and PK. Think PMB should take a seat in the pressbox tonight in Vancouver.

RussosBurner

Jun 19, 2012
State of Hockey
I'll probably re-post this later in the Vancouver GDT thread but prediction for tomorrows game....

Minnesota wins 5-4 in OT.

Goals by Suter, Granlund, Clutter, Rupp and Gilbert with the OT winner.

VAN goals by Raymond, Edler, D. Sedin, and Lapierre

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
I haven't watched the game yet, but the boxscore says Heatley had ZERO shots on goal. WTH? Is that true?

Haite

x
Jun 27, 2011
I haven't watched the game yet, but the boxscore says Heatley had ZERO shots on goal. WTH? Is that true?

I guess it's kind of funny how Heatley has 2/3 of Koivu's SOG amount this season, considering how much flak Mikko tends to get for not shooting.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
I guess it's kind of funny how Heatley has 2/3 of Koivu's SOG amount this season, considering how much flak Mikko tends to get for not shooting.

Yeah, I noticed the same thing from the stats. I think Mikko's been shooting close to 25% more this season than the last and Heatley's been shooting a hell of a lot less.

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu

I thought he was quite lost in this one... You'd think a goalscorer like him would position himself a bit better. And :facepalm: for not capitalizing on that brilliant feed from Granlund...

I thought this was the best game by Granlund in the Wild uniform and he was extremely unlucky not to have points in this one. That PP shift in the 2nd period (if I remember correctly) made me think that he should be tried in the 1st PP. It's about time that he can utilize his vision. Maybe he's finally getting used to NHL speed? :nod:

THEALLKNOWING*

Instead of focusing on Coyle, and I know it is painful to do because of who he is, but focus pn Parise. He has been a non-factor for a handful of games. He should feel guilty about taking Liepold's money.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Instead of focusing on Coyle, and I know it is painful to do because of who he is, but focus pn Parise. He has been a non-factor for a handful of games. He should feel guilty about taking Liepold's money.

Ha! That's really all I have to say to this.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Well not only was that game just brutal to watch, but someone spoiled the outcome for me before I had a chance to watch it on DVR. So I actually put myself through that garbage. At least until the third.

Best I could describe it is neither team made many mistakes on defense to give up a lot of big time scoring chances. Lots of crappy shots from the perimeter, some pressure but then the goalies came up big, and nothing happening on the PP. Flames had good position and again forced the dump ins, Wild did the same thing, I don't know what to tell you.

Top two lines looked pretty good and generated a lot of chances that should have gone in. Granlund again looked much better than a few games ago, but I worry that he might focus too much on defense and not enough on offense at center. As usual, Parise and Coyle were better than Seto and Heatley who were better than Cullen and Clutter who were kind of bad tonight. Fourth line was okay with their job but Butch was making some stupid passes out there.

Something needs to happen with that PP. I like Suter's puck movement but he NEVER pulls the trigger on the one timer. I know Yeo pulled Butch for Gilbert but the whole "Suter to Koivu to Suter to Koivu to Butch to Suter to Koivu to Suter to Butch to Koivu then try a pass through everyone for a tap-in and it gets cleared" is really, really old. Nobody is moving their feet AT ALL. I complained about this last year too. If you're not moving your feet, you're not pulling defenders out of lanes. And if you're just working the puck between 2-3 people, you're not using numbers to your advantage.

Otherwise, Backs had a very good game again, just supreme levels of skill in the shootout...dirty two points is better than none.

jedisports

Jul 4, 2012
He's getting over the flu.

Yes, I mentioned this upthread too. Apparently during the Nashville game Zach played actively sick, he was extremely sick during that game. During the game I commented on how it seemed like he had to force his eyes to even stay open. He looked so sick to me. If he had close to the same flu I had 3 weeks ago, I have no idea how he played during the Nashville game. I had a fever and severe body aches, fatigue for 4 days, respiratory symptoms for nearly two weeks.

I give Parise credit for even attempting to play. NBA players are dropping like flies due to what appears to be very similar symptoms.

Parise's move in the shootout was amazing.

Kaptain

WarBortles
Feb 7, 2013
Florida
Good news is we won.
Bad news is we're on a two game win streak, which, so far this season, has lead to a 3 game losing streak. Every time.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Yes, I mentioned this upthread too. Apparently during the Nashville game Zach played actively sick, he was extremely sick during that game. During the game I commented on how it seemed like he had to force his eyes to even stay open. He looked so sick to me. If he had close to the same flu I had 3 weeks ago, I have no idea how he played during the Nashville game. I had a fever and severe body aches, fatigue for 4 days, respiratory symptoms for nearly two weeks.

I give Parise credit for even attempting to play. NBA players are dropping like flies due to what appears to be very similar symptoms.

Parise's move in the shootout was amazing.
That's what separates hockey players from basketball players. Well, one of many things.

MNWILDFAN001

Jul 2, 2010
Minnesota
Nice to get a win on the road. Shame we couldn't have taken advantage of all the PP time. The first PP looked pretty good, but after that they got progressively worse. We need to try something else for entering the zone. This slow la ti da drop pass isn't working real well. We end up with 4 guys waiting at the blue line while the puck carrier brings the puck into the zone or dumps it in. We should try going up the ice as a team with speed. Brodin continues to impress. Coyle looks good. He uses his body well along the boards and has decent speed. Hopefully that line can start clicking more and start putting point on the board.

THEALLKNOWING*

If Parise is sick, then he shouldn't be playing. It was mentioned that he was sick before the day before the Nashville game. But the day of he was fine, and I didn't haven't seen any illness being reported since then. But even before that, he has not done much, or did much last night. Anything can happen in shootouts, so that is really not indicative of play.

I bet the Vancouver coaches are watching film, and saying, watch-out for ZP's power move from behind the net, he does it every chance he can get.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
So ... Yeo pulled PMB from the PP unit. Can't blame him as PMB looks ill-suited for the point on the PP. Not much purpose in playing PMB on the 4th line if he isn't also playing on either PP unit. Would rather see Mitchell on the 4th line and PK. Think PMB should take a seat in the pressbox tonight in Vancouver.

how did that final PP without Bouchard look? :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad