GDT: LAME DAY THREAD: 11 Feb 2013 - Wild @ Flames - FSN+ - 8PM

Hall of Faber

Nov 16, 2012
Thorndale, PA
So ... Yeo pulled PMB from the PP unit. Can't blame him as PMB looks ill-suited for the point on the PP. Not much purpose in playing PMB on the 4th line if he isn't also playing on either PP unit. Would rather see Mitchell on the 4th line and PK. Think PMB should take a seat in the pressbox tonight in Vancouver.

I believe Yeo put Gilbert out there on the last PP in order to not give up a shorty with 4ish minutes left in the game.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
If Parise is sick, then he shouldn't be playing. It was mentioned that he was sick before the day before the Nashville game. But the day of he was fine, and I didn't haven't seen any illness being reported since then. But even before that, he has not done much, or did much last night. Anything can happen in shootouts, so that is really not indicative of play.

I bet the Vancouver coaches are watching film, and saying, watch-out for ZP's power move from behind the net, he does it every chance he can get.

Your username doesn't fit you well... :shakehead

TZM

Par too easy
Mar 25, 2012
Kerava
Just watched the game. Still lazy and slow passing game. Defensively okay but you can't win a team like the Canucks with such poor offense. Gotta up the tempo in the o zone.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
We need more players who are willing to skate through bodies in the middle of the ice in the offensive zone. Way too many guys playing outside the circles.

I'd spend the first five minutes dumping the pucks into corners and then smashing the defensemen to get them off their game, then start working the middle of the ice.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
The team doesn't shoot unless they have zero traffic or there are six players between them and the net, so either the goalie can see it plain as day, or it never gets through.

They need to start using single defenders as screens and shoot when the puck has a chance to get through and the goalie can't see it coming. That will at worst create rebounds for some much needed second chance opportunities which are at this point, non-existent.

jedisports

Jul 4, 2012
If Parise is sick, then he shouldn't be playing. It was mentioned that he was sick before the day before the Nashville game. But the day of he was fine,

Wes Walz reported that Parise was "Sick as a dog" while playing in the Nashville game.

jedisports

Jul 4, 2012
But even before that, he has not done much, or did much last night. Anything can happen in shootouts, so that is really not indicative of play.

You still have to be "on" to produce in a shootout and Zach has come through more than once in our shootouts this year. He largely contributed to our win last night with that amazing move.

He has been battling illness while playing recently, that is a fact.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
Yes, I mentioned this upthread too. Apparently during the Nashville game Zach played actively sick, he was extremely sick during that game. During the game I commented on how it seemed like he had to force his eyes to even stay open. He looked so sick to me. If he had close to the same flu I had 3 weeks ago, I have no idea how he played during the Nashville game. I had a fever and severe body aches, fatigue for 4 days, respiratory symptoms for nearly two weeks.

I give Parise credit for even attempting to play. NBA players are dropping like flies due to what appears to be very similar symptoms.

Parise's move in the shootout was amazing.

So was Koivu's! That was one of the dirtiest moves I've seen from Koivu, didn't know he even had that move:naughty:

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Parise playing through the flu is still far more effort than most of the healthy guys on the roster.

We've seen Koivu fake the backhand and go forehand before...we know he's going to do one or the other...and he STILL pulls it off.

The Parise move was just plain filthy. Just...ugh. Wow.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
Screens for shooting defensemen would be nice. Currently it seems like everyone jockeys for position behind the net, with any other forwards crashing the boards to be the next guy behind the net instead of anyone ever hanging out in front where a goal might be scored. The one big exception to that being Dany Heatley who gets there just in time to slam into both teams leaving the zone because nobody helped him get his skate guards off.

Highlights of the game for me:
Brodin spinorama
Konopka hugorama
Cyclorama in the offensive corner four times in a row at one point late in the game. On the fifth time around someone in a bear suit skated the other way and then they all turned to give chase and crashed through a hedge. Yakety Sax was enjoyed by all.

Other notes:
You know what? No more power plays. Just slash somebody at the faceoff circle as soon as we go on one. Trip an opposing player. Catch the faceoff puck and pet it like a bunny. Whatever you do, do it immediately and spare us all.
Parise's shootout goal looked beautiful. Then Hudler's looked easy. It's too bad for Calgary that he is so determined to get back to the bench and hammer out more of next year's Christmas toys, but those quotas aren't going to meet themselves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad