Value of: Laine and his new contract

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
He will sign for the same percentage of cap hit as scheifele did plus and extra percent next summer. 8x8 book it.

GMpuckFan66

Jun 25, 2018
Really good at one timing pucks on the pp while not playing top d-men being sheltered-ish on the 2nd line. Hell of a player dont get me wrong but I wouldn't give him more than 9. Tavares money? No, he plays arguably the least valuable position in hockey (could argue goalies are less valuable) and is an RFA.
Goalies are less valuable? All you need to do to see how wrong that statement is, is to look at the jets seasons with Pavelec vs last season with Hellebuyck. Or look at what teams like vegas and Washington did with great goaltending last year.

Better yet.... go look at dallas 2 years ago when their offense was putting in 5-6 goals a game.... but their goalies were letting in 6 to 7 to see just how much having a good goalie helps

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I'm curious what he gets. No doubt one of the best goal scorers in the league but gets a lot of his goals on the PP. Will be interested to see how he rounds out his game.

Reactions: dlam

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I am going to say 7M per for 7 or 8 years. This is solely based on what Ehlers and Scheifele signed for. Laine does not strike me as a mercenary, he will be embaressed if he makes a far bigger cap hit than those 2 players on the team hierarchy.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
I am going to say 7M per for 7 or 8 years. This is solely based on what Ehlers and Scheifele signed for. Laine does not strike me as a mercenary, he will be embaressed if he makes a far bigger cap hit than those 2 players on the team hierarchy.
he is a 2ndOA pick that should have been 1stOA if a certain some was born 2 days earlier so lets give him 1 more million 8x8

Reactions: Viktor Vaughn

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
he is a 2ndOA pick that should have been 1stOA if a certain some was born 2 days earlier so lets give him 1 more million 8x8

He's worth this. But I am just going on gut of what I have read and learned about Laine since he came to the NHL. I actually believe he would not be comfortable making 2, 3 million a year than Scheifele and Ehlers. Probably because of being humble enough to say, I am not that much better than than Scheifele why do I deserve 2 to 3 million more than him.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
You forgot to mention 13 Cups in a 100 years and longest drought between Cup wins. Definite dynasty.
Down play it all you want , but the Leafs have won those cups. Nothing you can say changes that. 13 more cups than Winnipeg. Sure we have had a long drought; we have had a team for those years. It is not as if Winnipeg has won anything. There are many teams that have never won a cup. Toronto is building a good team as has Winnipeg it would sure be nice to meet in a final. On topic, I think Winnipeg should give Laine the max contract.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
He's worth this. But I am just going on gut of what I have read and learned about Laine since he came to the NHL. I actually believe he would not be comfortable making 2, 3 million a year than Scheifele and Ehlers. Probably because of being humble enough to say, I am not that much better than than Scheifele why do I deserve 2 to 3 million more than him.
In fairness though, his agent will say that Sheifele signed that deal 2 years ago when the cap hit was lower, and had a career high 61 points.

Viktor Vaughn

Apr 7, 2018
You are dreaming, if his manager is worth his weight he wont sign for 7-8 million unless it's a bridge. Laine is an elite goal scorer and a face of the league, he will be getting at least 9.5m/10.5m.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Down play it all you want , but the Leafs have won those cups. Nothing you can say changes that. 13 more cups than Winnipeg. Sure we have had a long drought; we have had a team for those years. It is not as if Winnipeg has won anything. There are many teams that have never won a cup. Toronto is building a good team as has Winnipeg it would sure be nice to meet in a final. On topic, I think Winnipeg should give Laine the max contract.

Are the Montreal Canadiens considered a better team than most today because of their previous cups?

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Are the Montreal Canadiens considered a better team than most today because of their previous cups?
Nope, but the Leafs are considered a better team today because of their quality. Their cups and by extension the Leafs cups are pedigree.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Winnipeg has t achieved enough team success, nor is Einnipeg a likeable enough place to live (and I say this as somebody who loved living in Manitoba) to get a star player to take a discount.

If you want to keep your talent you’ve got to pay for it - 9ish million at least:

Reactions: Eat The Rich

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I can see Laine betting on himself and not wanting to sign a full 8 year deal.

I'll wager he signs at 8 million for 5 years.
Lots of money for now, and a new deal as he's in his prime.

If that's his game he just won't sign until next off-season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad