Value of: Laine and his new contract

The Ugly Truth

May 23, 2018
I'd absolutely try to go longer than that, and with Ehlers/Scheifele contracts I bet the Jets want more term as well.

None of the wingers making less have done what Laine has in his 1st 2 seasons in the league, Pasta's& Laines stats are from completely different planets at the same age, and you need to take in mind the cap raise since those contracts.

C'moon now.

Pasta +1 season, 46 games, 27 points,
+2 season, 51 games, 26 points.

I love Pasta but this isn't even close, Pasta's contract was based on 1 elite season, Laine's could be on 3. + Laines ceiling is higher than Pasta's.

Thank you.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
I dunno. That usually only makes sense for people who can't earn top $$ today. Laine can absolutely get top $$ today. Maybe he won't get 13-14M$ per year of course - but he should easily enough be able to get 10 I think.

I absolutely see him sign for 8 years. As McDavid did, as I expect Matthews to, Eichel, Dahlin...all those top top young stars.
I'd almost guarantee Laine can't get 10 million at this point.
As good as he is, and he's damn good, he does have some weaknesses to his game, that other legitimate young superstars(Matthews, Mcdavid) do not have.
Laine could probably get around 8.5 million for as long as he wanted, but he's not a 10 million dollar player.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
I look at Tarasenko @ 10.27 % as a comparable. He scored 37 goals before his contract.

I'll go with 8 years @ 8.5. A little Winnipeg tax in there.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I'd be shocked if Laine doesnt get 9-10

guys saying 8 on here? some think (hope) Nylander and marner get 8-9 lol

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
The issue with Laine is that he all but disappeared in the play-offs when his team most needed him.. he was pretty much shut down goal-scoring wise in the playoff games where the time and space are tight, unlike Ovi for example who kept scoring from the left slot (also Laine's best area) all post-season long. I think this will reflect on his contract, but how much, that is the question.
No one is considering giving Laine 16.82% of the cap either. It would be interesting to see what Ovi did in the playoffs at the same age but we can't.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Why was a Leafs fan still watching past the first round? When was your last series win again?
I didn't even watch the playoffs outside the Toronto Boston series so you are wrong there.

Our last series win was in 2004, a few years after you guys located to Phoenix.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
In Winnipeg he is seen as the best player in his draft year, they should pay him like that even though it is far from true. I hope 20% of the cap.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Also keep in mind that Cheveldayoff is the one signing him - he managed to get great deals for Scheifele and Ehlers so far so he might have some tricks up his sleeve

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Also keep in mind that Cheveldayoff is the one signing him - he managed to get great deals for Scheifele and Ehlers so far so he might have some tricks up his sleeve

Those guys weren't even close to Laine's level this early in their careers.

Laine is going to take the Jets to the cleaners, and rightfully so.

Jets are probably hoping Matthews signs before him, because they can look at that contract and work their way down from there. If Matthews gets 11mil, Laine will get 9-10.

Reactions: Viktor Vaughn

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Why was a Leafs fan still watching past the first round? When was your last series win again?
That’s rich, especially for a fan of a team that just won its first ever playoff game this season.
Laine should get 8ish but will probably be closer to 10ish because chia and botteril effed up rfa structures by overpaying guys they really had no reason to do so

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
That’s rich, especially for a fan of a team that just won its first ever playoff game this season.
Laine should get 8ish but will probably be closer to 10ish because chia and botteril effed up rfa structures by overpaying guys they really had no reason to do so
great logic 2 idiots overpay so everyone has to follow their lead. chevy and sakic signed scheifele and McKinnon to 6 and 6.5 million long term contracts why didn't botteril and chia follow their lead then. smart gms will do smart things and dumb gms will do dumb things.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I would say 9 million AAV, but with Eichel getting 10 while not getting elite final totals, that's a tough call. I know Eichel had some elite scoring pace, but still. It's 10 million AAV

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
I think he gets 9.5x8. Not many players can score like he can. I've seen nothing to indicate anything other then him enjoying playing for the Jets. Weather probably isn't even that much different then where he grew up either lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad