Value of: Laine and his new contract

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
That Kucherov deal will be mighty close IMO

Close to Kucherov but not exactly. Laine will have more RFA years and Kucherov is better overall. I'm guessing around 8.5 - 9 million x 8.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
8 years x 9 million

Like others said, he’s an AMAZING goal scorer with a LETHAL one timer.

However , he plays against 2nd line competition and 2nd pairing defencemen and plays on the wing

That is not to take anything away from him, he’s good at what he does, but he should not be making more than Jack Eichel

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Really good at one timing pucks on the pp while not playing top d-men being sheltered-ish on the 2nd line. Hell of a player dont get me wrong but I wouldn't give him more than 9. Tavares money? No, he plays arguably the least valuable position in hockey (could argue goalies are less valuable) and is an RFA.

Please tell me the first half of this post was sarcasm.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Laine just put up 70 goals as teenager. He'll get paid, and Eichel's $9.5 M AAV is likely the starting point. It is difficult to see it any less ($10-10.5 M AAV may be more likely).

Whether he is a complete player or a center is irrelevant. He has shown himself to be an elite goal scorer and is on track to be perhaps the best goal scorer in the game (certainly among the elite at that skill). Those players get paid in the NHL, they always have.

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
The issue with Laine is that he all but disappeared in the play-offs when his team most needed him.. he was pretty much shut down goal-scoring wise in the playoff games where the time and space are tight, unlike Ovi for example who kept scoring from the left slot (also Laine's best area) all post-season long. I think this will reflect on his contract, but how much, that is the question.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
The issue with Laine is that he all but disappeared in the play-offs when his team most needed him.. he was pretty much shut down goal-scoring wise in the playoff games where the time and space are tight, unlike Ovi for example who kept scoring from the left slot (also Laine's best area) all post-season long. I think this will reflect on his contract, but how much, that is the question.
Did the 19 year old get shut down in his 1st playoff appearance by only scoring 12 points in 17 games.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003

I am not a fan of the Jets, so I personally hope this is the strategy Chevy employs in contract negotiations.

Chevy: "Well, Patrik, you are not a center, you score mostly on the PP, you are not a complete player, and you did not score enough in my opinion as a 19 year old playing in his first playoffs. Please take considerably less than the No. 2 overall pick the year before you. You know, the same player that has yet to match your offensive production."

That relationship will go south quickly.

north49er

Dec 20, 2017
I am not a fan of the Jets, so I personally hope this is the strategy Chevy employs in contract negotiations.

Chevy: "Well, Patrik, you are not a center, you score mostly on the PP, you are not a complete player, and you did not score enough in my opinion as a 19 year old playing in his first playoffs. Please take considerably less than the No. 2 overall pick the year before you. You know, the same player that has yet to match your offensive production."

That relationship will go south quickly.
That conversation would be reserved for an arbritration hearing down the road.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I really don't think there's a chance in hell he gets 10M.

Outside of putting the puck in the net he still has a lot to work on. He knows it. Chevy knows it. He's not the best forward on the team and it would look silly if he made millions more than Scheifele, even if Mark is underpaid right now.

And while both camps expect him to get better in the future, nothing is guaranteed. There is no reason for Chevy to give up any leverage.

Pastrnak signed 6x 6.66M deal after a 70 point season as one of the best young wingers in the game. I expect the Jets camp to use this deal as a comparable in contract talks.

I think everyone will be happy with a 5-6 yr deal at around 7-8M per. It's on line with other recently signed contracts on the team, makes him one of the highest paid wingers in the game especially in the RFA pool and gives him enough time to hit his prime before the next huge contract.

Reactions: GJF

Tasteless Beaver

Here for the hot takes
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
We had a very long thread about this a month ago.

Laine is pretty laid back, doesn't seem to care about money too much, and his best buddy Ehlers is signed long-term at a low cap hit. He won't pull a Trouba.

Somewhere around 8.0 to 8.5 per year.

Allhailtheleafs

Feb 18, 2018
We had a very long thread about this a month ago.

Laine is pretty laid back, doesn't seem to care about money too much, and his best buddy Ehlers is signed long-term at a low cap hit. He won't pull a Trouba.

Somewhere around 8.0 to 8.5 per year.
I like this post. It's true, and that's what you want in a player. He know she gets good money, and is grateful to make it doing something he loves

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
Maybe 4-5 years at 7.5M would be best for both. Laine gets a decent change and has a "safety" in case the Jets go back to sucking, and Jets don't get hurt by the cap even if it will increase soon. And if Laine regresses - which feels quite unlikely after two upward trending seasons at near-Rocket level - they can get rid of him quickly.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Chevy knows how to treat players coming of elc's with no rights even though most gm's have no clue.
8x8 tops will get it done.

But what if Laine shows Eichel+ Drai contracts and shows his stats on +1& +2 seasons?

This is more of what Laine wants, he has the comparison at 8.5M+.

Jake Barnes

Apr 25, 2018
Winnipeg
What I think will happen:
8 x $8-8.5m.

I think Laine wants to win above all else, and he seems like a smart enough kid to know that you need good players around you to do that. So, I think he leaves a little on the table. I think he could probably ask for and get 10+, though. Goals are expensive when it comes to contract negotiations.

Fantasyland version:
Chevy pulls some voodoo black magic stuff, sells Laine on the viability of the Jets' current window and convinces him to sign for $6.5m until he's 27. Once that contract's up, we sign him to 8 x 15m (or whatever top end contracts look like in 5 or 6 years) both as a show of gratitude and because he's scoring 60 goals per year (a guy can dream, right?).

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
But what if Laine shows Eichel+ Drai contracts and shows his stats on +1& +2 seasons?

This is more of what Laine wants, he has the comparison at 8.5M+.

1) Jets will counter with comparable wingers and what they're making, there's not a single winger in the game right now who is making/has made 8M dollars at the same age. It's not hard to argue why centers make more money.

2) Buffalo and Edmonton wanted to offer 8 year deals, thinking they will be good for them long term. That was their choice but the Jets are in no way obligated to do the same or offer the same AAV.

But yeah i think it'll be a 5-6 yr deal rather than 8.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad