Value of: Laine and his new contract

The Ugly Truth

May 23, 2018
We had a very long thread about this a month ago.

Laine is pretty laid back, doesn't seem to care about money too much, and his best buddy Ehlers is signed long-term at a low cap hit. He won't pull a Trouba.

Somewhere around 8.0 to 8.5 per year.

Does Laine have an agent? If he does and they're anywhere near competent he will be getting a $10 million contract like Eichel if he is to sign long-term.

People posting theoretical numbers on this site need to start using common sense. Post the numbers that they would expect if they were in the player's situation - not what they would hope for as a fan trying to lowball players.

The Ugly Truth

May 23, 2018
I like this post. It's true, and that's what you want in a player. He know she gets good money, and is grateful to make it doing something he loves

Would you volunteer to get paid less than you should at your job? If not, don't suggest it for someone else.

Last edited:

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
Would you volunteer to get paid less then you should at your job? If not, don't suggest it for someone else.
This is a good point.
Unless you are a competitive company and you want to win and there is a reward at the end that you have dreamt of your entire life.
Taking slightly less cash for the end prize may be worth it.

The Ugly Truth

May 23, 2018
1) Jets will counter with comparable wingers and what they're making, there's not a single winger in the game right now who is making/has made 8M dollars at the same age. It's not hard to argue why centers make more money.

2) Buffalo and Edmonton wanted to offer 8 year deals, thinking they will be good for them long term. That was their choice but the Jets are in no way obligated to do the same or offer the same AAV.

But yeah i think it'll be a 5-6 yr deal rather than 8.

Laine has no comparable except maybe Ovi.

Reactions: Flyerfan52

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
8 years 10 million bucks somewhere between Draisaitl and Taveres. Laine is the Jets franchise player and will be paid like one.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
1) Jets will counter with comparable wingers and what they're making, there's not a single winger in the game right now who is making/has made 8M dollars at the same age. It's not hard to argue why centers make more money.

2) Buffalo and Edmonton wanted to offer 8 year deals, thinking they will be good for them long term. That was their choice but the Jets are in no way obligated to do the same or offer the same AAV.

It's going to be a 7-8 year deal (8 more likely). The Jets have made it clear they want to sign him long term like they did with Scheifele and Ehlers. Laine genuinely likes the city and the team and has great buddies on the team. He'll sign long term...

The Ugly Truth

May 23, 2018
This is a good point.
Unless you are a competitive company and you want to win and there is a reward at the end that you have dreamt of your entire life.
Taking slightly less cash for the end prize may be worth it.

What if you only have a 10% chance of getting that prize you dream about? Is a 10% chance at getting the prize worth giving up $10-15 million for?

Players may be dumb sometimes, but they pay agents to be smart for them. If I was Laine's agent I would remind him that his career is short (10–20 years maximum) and there's always someone around the corner waiting to take his job. And that the so-called fans that praise him one minute will be just as quick to throw him under the bus the next. Smart players always look out for number one.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Laine has no comparable except maybe Ovi.

So they're going to look at the closest comparable.

Pastrnak signed for 6.66M after a 34+36=70 in 75 games season. Camp Laine can push for more because of his goalscoring but that won't give them 2-3M more.

Which is why i think they will settle at between 7-8.

Reactions: Snowman

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Does Laine have an agent? If he does and they're anywhere near competent he will be getting a $10 million contract like Eichel if he is to sign long-term.

People posting theoretical numbers on this site need to start using common sense. Post the numbers that they would expect if they were in the player's situation - not what they would hope for as a fan trying to lowball players.
You need to lighten up and get a grip.

Reactions: Snowman and SLAYER

The Ugly Truth

May 23, 2018

Pastrnak signed for 6.66M after a 34+36=70 in 75 games season. Camp Laine can push for more because of his goalscoring but that won't give them 2-3M more.

Pasta gave the Bruins a Scheifele-level, Pacioretty-level hometown discount. He would be wise to ask Pacioretty if he wishes if he could go back in time and make sure his contract had been for what he was actually worth.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I can see Laine betting on himself and not wanting to sign a full 8 year deal.

I'll wager he signs at 8 million for 5 years.
Lots of money for now, and a new deal as he's in his prime.

I dunno. That usually only makes sense for people who can't earn top $$ today. Laine can absolutely get top $$ today. Maybe he won't get 13-14M$ per year of course - but he should easily enough be able to get 10 I think.

I absolutely see him sign for 8 years. As McDavid did, as I expect Matthews to, Eichel, Dahlin...all those top top young stars.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
This has pretty much turned into a Laine critic thread... I mean to bring up the Playoffs is a very bad point... Both McDavid and Matthews had worse production in they’re sophomore season playing in the playoffs, it’s almost as if being young correlates with scoring less in the playoffs(just a hunch though). The next point is Centers bring more value than Wingers, I guess they play a harder game but skill should always be the biggest evaluater(C>W should not be as massive as it’s made out to be) and in this case we are dealing with the best young goal scorer in the league. The assumption that Laine plays weaker competition is a very bad one, just last season the same people where arguing about the fact that his success came from high minutes and also playing with Scheifele as he was apparently “riding gun” to Scheifeles success(though it looked as if it was the other way around for the time they played together). If the kid gets over 10 million I don’t think it’s much of a reach for his talent but I doubt he will do that as he has shown nothing more than a team first mentality thus far.

Reactions: NotNeutralFan

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
I have been told that he is as good or better than Matthews who will be signing for McDavid money or more.

So Laine must be heading for 13M right?
no because some gm's know what rfa stands for. just ask trouba

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

I'd absolutely try to go longer than that, and with Ehlers/Scheifele contracts I bet the Jets want more term as well.

None of the wingers making less have done what Laine has in his 1st 2 seasons in the league, Pasta's& Laines stats are from completely different planets at the same age, and you need to take in mind the cap raise since those contracts.

C'moon now.

Pasta +1 season, 46 games, 27 points,
+2 season, 51 games, 26 points.

I love Pasta but this isn't even close, Pasta's contract was based on 1 elite season, Laine's could be on 3. + Laines ceiling is higher than Pasta's.

Last edited:
Reactions: sfvega

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Can't see how he gets less than 8M on a long term deal even if they sign him now. Ehlers had 40 goals combined when he got 6M and the cap was lower, Laine had more goals last season alone and is 3 years younger.

I bet he'll be looking at Eichel as the comparable even though they play different positions similar to how Drai probably looked at Tarasenko as the comparable so I'd expect 9M+ if his agent does his job.
80 goals in his first 2 seasons as a teenager, he's going to get a massive contract unless he wants to do the team a favor and take a discount. If he has another 40+ goal season next year, he could be looking at 10M+.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Coyotes are rich, they can do both. Just gotta dump Hossa's contract to clear the cap space. Bettman will even remove the pick requirements so that they can do 2 in 1 year.
If Bettman wanted to rig things for the Coyotes (other than simply keep them afloat) they would have won either the McDavid or Matthews lottery.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $80.00