Value of: Laine and his new contract

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
Their stars were signed though under more favourable contexts, Laine will have three high scoring seasons under his belt - none of Winnipeg’s young guys can say the same.

Chevy is good at contracts but he’s not a wizard, Jets will pay market price and that’s looking to be likely at least 10 million. This idea that Winnipeg is unique and all their players will give sweetheart deals just isn’t based on reality.
8 million a year is not a sweetheart deal. Im willing to bet Laines contract is less than 10M.

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
Eichel is a bad example.
When Eichel signed his 2nd contract he was probably rightly sure that many of those 8 years would be spent on a bottom feeder. Even with Dahlin that still rings true. So he was correct in taking as many $s as possible because by the time those draftees are ready & gel into a team his cap hit will be a smaller % of the cap.
It must be depressing entering games when you are expected to lose & the crowd actually encourages losing.

Laine is in the opposite situation. He knows he can be a key part of a SC winner within the next few years but another big part will be playing with good players to make it happen. Although he'll be worth $10-11 million per winning might override $s in the short term. @ say 3 x 6-7 it leaves cap to keep other top enders with 4 years left before he's RFA again (reason I chose 3). He's got a great window to win @ least 1 SC while under 25 while still piling up enough money to keep him supplied with the latest video games for life. He plays on a team where wins are expected by both the team & the crowd with a very close locker room where you can count on every player to give top effort & support each other.
Knowing you can/are likely to win plays a big part with competitive players like Laine.

Reactions: Flair Hay

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
The Draisaitl contract is such a pain in the *** for Leafs and Jets fans. Everybody else around Drai makes about $2M less, but that contract is brutal for teams looking to sign their own RFA's.

I say Laine ends up between $9.5-10M for 6-8 years but if it wasn't for Edmonton maybe $8x8 could have gotten it done

That Draisaitl contract will be looking like a steal very soon. As for Laine, I think it will be 10m.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
That Draisaitl contract will be looking like a steal very soon. As for Laine, I think it will be 10m.
That Draisatl contract is a big reason why 2nd contracts for star forwards are getting silly. The rest of the league is shaking their fists at Chia who in one summer set the benchmark for two tiers of players.

Reactions: Georgetown Al

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
That Draisatl contract is a big reason why 2nd contracts for star forwards are getting silly. The rest of the league is shaking their fists at Chia who in one summer set the benchmark for two tiers of players.

And it was a smart thing to do. Tavares at 11 already makes both of those deals look like steals!

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
And it was a smart thing to do. Tavares at 11 already makes both of those deals look like steals!
Draisatl at $8.5 AAV is smart?
Smart would have been signing him before McDavid, so that you are justifying paying him ____ millions more than Draisatl, not signing McDavid first and having Driasatl's agent in the driver's seat saying is my guy worth ____ millions less than McDavid, especially after his season and strong playoff?
That would have been smart.

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
Eichel is a bad example.
When Eichel signed his 2nd contract he was probably rightly sure that many of those 8 years would be spent on a bottom feeder. Even with Dahlin that still rings true. So he was correct in taking as many $s as possible because by the time those draftees are ready & gel into a team his cap hit will be a smaller % of the cap.
It must be depressing entering games when you are expected to lose & the crowd actually encourages losing.

Laine is in the opposite situation. He knows he can be a key part of a SC winner within the next few years but another big part will be playing with good players to make it happen. Although he'll be worth $10-11 million per winning might override $s in the short term. @ say 3 x 6-7 it leaves cap to keep other top enders with 4 years left before he's RFA again (reason I chose 3). He's got a great window to win @ least 1 SC while under 25 while still piling up enough money to keep him supplied with the latest video games for life. He plays on a team where wins are expected by both the team & the crowd with a very close locker room where you can count on every player to give top effort & support each other.
Knowing you can/are likely to win plays a big part with competitive players like Laine.

Only on the internet are people leaving $3-5mil x 3 years on the table for a "chance to win" and "tight locker room"

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Eichel is a bad example.

Encouraged to lose? Go check tv ratings per capita. Buffalo did what every team now is trying to do by throwing away a garbage season with ufas to ensure a good pick. Then when that pick was secured they went back to being among the top 5 or 10 more devoted fan bases. This narrative is played out and lazy given the amount of time you put into typing your moronic retort.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
It'll be very interesting to see if the Jets have actually been exploring trade options for Laine as the summer progresses.
Sure... You could say the same for some other good players...
For instance it will be even more interesting to see if Toronto is exploring trade options for Matthews as the summer progresses with their major needs at defence.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Eichel is a bad example.

Fans think like this............agents don't.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
For instance it will be even more interesting to see if Toronto is exploring trade options for Matthews as the summer progresses with their major needs at defence.
That's not at all comparable.

The Jets are well aware of Wheeler's upcoming contract and they might have some decisions to make. He plays a very important leadership role on the Jets and has proven to be a betst fit on the top line with the Jets most important player (Scheifele). Laine could very well be the odd man out, because Kyle Connor will need to be signed and he could come at a much cheaper price than Laine while also having the advantage of proven chemistry on the #1 line of the Jets.

Mar 26, 2010
2 more years and Laine is potentially 65+ goal scorer and probably 120 point player. He is not even close to all his potential yet. There is no reason to think that he is not going to have 10+million contract.
65 goal scorer? Pump the brakes a little.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Leafs defense didn't seem to be a problem against the jets this year.
The last game (which the leafs lost 3-1) has the same shots against
The first game (which the leafs won 7-2) had the leafs scoring on high danger shots all game while Byfuglien had the highest SOG for the Jets. A bit embarrassing if you ask me.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Not while he's spending 62.5% of his ES time with McDavid. He struggles without McDavid

Struggles and Produces less are 2 different things. Anyone will score more while playing with the Best player in the world . See Nuge and Rattie

Put some more thought into it

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Struggles and Produces less are 2 different things. Anyone will score more while playing with the Best player in the world . See Nuge and Rattie

Put some more thought into it
...LOL okay you asked

2017-18

McDavid with Draisaitl: 57.4 GF%
McDavid without Draisaitl: 57.8 GF%
Draisaitl without McDavid: 44.2 GF% (that's bad)

2016-17:

McDavid with Draisaitl: 59.4 GF%
Draisaitl without McDavid: 44.2 GF% (again that's bad)

The Oilers gave LD a contract based on the numbers that he put up with McDavid, they should've let him center his own line and given him a contract based on that to see what his true value is. McDavid doesn't need LD to be the player he is (best in the world), LD clearly needs McDavid to be the player Oilers fans think he is.

Comparison sake for the Leafs: Matthews and Marner seldom play together on a line, if they do they really well but Babcock wants them each to drive their own line. That's resulted in both of them being star players without needing the other to be successful.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
These threads are so bizarre.

Teams love talking up their stars, but then when contracts come up, it’s always some huge discount. Then the comparisons to players signed under different context start being thrown around.

If Eichel and Matthews get around 10, Laine should get around 9.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Leafs defense didn't seem to be a problem against the jets this year.
The last game (which the leafs lost 3-1) has the same shots against
The first game (which the leafs won 7-2) had the leafs scoring on high danger shots all game while Byfuglien had the highest SOG for the Jets. A bit embarrassing if you ask me.

Explain to me why the Jets had more wins and more points please, instead of using a anecdote two games(in which where tied). What’s embarrassing is the fact the Jets have beaten the Leafs point and win record this season while not even being a 20 year old team yet(while the Leafs are are a original team going back to 1917) that’s pretty embarrassing if you ask me.

Anyways back on topic, Laine was a huge part of that success and he deserves cash for it.

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
Explain to me why the Jets had more wins and more points please, instead of using a anecdote two games(in which where tied). What’s embarrassing is the fact the Jets have beaten the Leafs point and win record this season while not even being a 20 year old team yet(while the Leafs are are a original team going back to 1917) that’s pretty embarrassing if you ask me.

Anyways back on topic, Laine was a huge part of that success and he deserves cash for it.
As a leaf fan I will say the Jets were further ahead of the Leafs last year in development, not sure about this year, but to use history is just wrong. Don't forget you guys inherited an established team with some good players already in place.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018

You brought up the need for defense.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes